Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Functiona Norm's side skirts?  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Functiona Norm's side skirts?
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
Has anyone made a set of these functional (cooling rear brakes ) like on a C5  Z06 Corvette ?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:02:26 PM by DeepBlueGXP, Reason: changed title »

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
Re: Norm's side skirts
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 09:21:08 PM »
Has anyone made a set of these functional (cooling rear brakes ) like on a C5  Z06 Corvette ?

Wouldn't that require cutting into your rear fender/rocker panel/rear frame?
Aggressive #000741

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
Wouldn't that require cutting into your rear fender/rocker panel/rear frame?

Yeah not for the faint of heart although an interesting project to consider.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
Yea some cutting involved and you would have to run a set of cooling hoses and support brackets  to each brake I know they make a complete kit for Vettes and I was thinking about using that except that the vents are big (I mocked a set up) and look out of proportion on a Solstice no frame cutting but a lot of fabrication .
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:23:48 AM by Sting Ya »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 08:41:03 PM »
Would there be a worthwhile benefit?
Make the right choices now

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
Rear brake cooling and a little different look to the car just something I have been throwing around in my head after looking at my friends Z06 , plus the first time I saw Norm's side skirts I thought what would it take to make them functional

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
Would there be a worthwhile benefit?

But does there HAVE to be a worthwhile benefit?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »
Looks is a worthwhile benefit to some, function to others. And for the discerning few, form and function.

Make the right choices now

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
My experience driving my car on a track ,only the front brakes get egg frying hot, that is why I fabricated 4 inch front brake vents which has helped a lot. Sounds like a big job ,but it does have a kool factor with little functional return.
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
Yea  those are my thoughts exactly I mean the skirts look good but why put something on your car that's supposed to look functional but isn't and in response   to wsphon's post I have to respectfully disagree with you I have a few friends who race and some of their cars are set up with a rear brake cooling  ducts yes maybe on a street only car there is no need for them but they do serve a purpose .   
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:40:06 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 07:33:17 PM »
If you're not doing track days there's really no reason to cool your brakes.

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 08:24:05 AM »
I don't think it would be difficult to fabricate brake ducts for the rear and I might do it for something to do with my car this winter.  However if you look at my brake calipers front and rear, I have burnt caliper paint on the front, normal appearing paint on the rear.  My car is primarily a track car
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
I know that you can make them work with the right amount of fabrication that's why I'm leaning to a Z06 set up . You can purchase the vents and ducting in a kit for around $ 350 , I have measured the set on my friends car and it looks like it will work with not too much trouble. As for your caliper paint problem I've used VHT high temperature caliper spray  paint with good results when I redo my stuff I'm leaning towards having the calipers powder coated  I have been using this since the 80's when I was building bikes with great results .

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
Graywolf, can you elaborate on how you made the 4" front brake ducts?

I was on a twisty road in my 2.4 and they faded on me bad. I have stock brakes so I know upgrading pads and brake fluid are first on my list but anything I can do to cool those off would be nice. I've kicked around the idea of doing the Redline vents up front but the grills alone are $200. Would be nice to do something better if possible.