Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: My 89K mile review, and the passing of a dear friend…  (Read 1679 times)

nomead

My 89K mile review, and the passing of a dear friend…
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:25:05 PM »
Pretty freaking amazing...
98K miles… didn't quite make it to 100<dang>

Omitting the mods & routine (oil change-ish) maintenance I replaced a fuel rail, and a cam position sensor. I wore through 1.5 sets of brakes and 2 complete sets of tires.

In return I discovered a fantastic community, made new friends & dear memories.

Now the time has come to pass my beloved Sky to a new set of hands, who I hope will give and receive in return as much as I did from this fantastic little car.

Thanks to all of you who I have learned from here; and cheers to those I have been a part of my journey. I am embracing a new chapter and hoping to at least come close to the wonderful times I have had with my kappa community. :cheers:

If you see a wave from a dark blue boxster be sure to wave back,… that will be me ;0)

I don’t plan on being a stranger; I’ll be [at least] lurking.
(gee, that doesn't sound too creepy, does it?)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: My 89K mile review, and the passing of a dear friend…
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »
It's been great having you as a member here and looking forward to the possibility that the new owner might discover the forum.

Yes, don't be a stranger and be sure to post pictures of the new ride.   :thumbs:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

nomead

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:53:06 PM »
Here is the outgoing - trade my Sky and STI
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And here is the new toy:

and a pretty mug shot:

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 10:00:56 PM »
Is that a Cayman or a Boxster?.
Did you try to give the new C7 Stingray a try before you got this?.
There are 2014's going for less than 50K.
Nice ride though, hope is the Cayman, enjoy it.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »
Nice! That top looks blue, always thought my deep GXP would look good with a blue top.

Always liked Porsches but maintenance and parts costs can get crazy sometimes but I'm sure you already know that. Enjoy it!
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

nomead

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »
My original thought was to get a new Stingray. I was surprised how incredibly close these two cars are from a performance point of view while being so radically different.

According to KBB, the 5 year Total cost of ownership is nearly the same, favoring the Boxster slightly. (effectively the same at these price points)

The breakdown was interesting:
The prices are comparable - the Stingray I configured at the dealer, and the discount they offered was a little less than the Boxster I found & the discount I negotiated.
You're right about maintenance, especially on the mid-engine platforms like this, the Stingray wins.
But Insurance and (estimated) Repairs are less.
The Boxster's insurance costs are about the same as the Sky, less than the 8 cyl Stingray.

The MOD costs are somewhat-to-MUCH higher than the Sky! :devil: But then, so are the Stingray's...

My decision came down to the subjective - how I felt driving the car.
To me, the Stingray was a step-up to a bigger muscle car.
The Boxster was more like the Sky,... perfected.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:24:13 AM by nomead »

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »
I have a  2015 Z51 with the Magnetic Ride Suspension and that car is a lot faster on the track than both the Boxster and Cayman.
It is a very refine product completely different from the OLD C6 and older Vetts.
The guys from top Gear never liked the Corvette until they drove the C7.
The time around their track was way up there with some of the exotics, mind you this was not the Z06 which is even better.
The C7 comes with 5 years 100K miles power train warranty.
Enjoy your Porsche though, is definetely a great driving car.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

nomead

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
I agree completely! I bet it's a blast - that was pretty much the car I was going to order - 2016 Z51 2LT, grey.

The thing that originally put me off the Vette (which gave opening to the Boxster) was the dealer!

I was emotionally bought into the car - I'd been thinking and talking about getting one since they came out.
I just wanted a test drive and was told "we don't do those here" and gave me a phone # to a local rental place where, for >$400 I could 'test drive' one.
So we got a build sheet for the car I'd wanted and left - The more I thought about that the more it ticked me off...
That night I spoke to a friend who I found out had just bought a boxster the previous year and he raved about it.
I went to a dealer and was on the road in 2 differently configured cars within a few minutes for a couple of vigorous runs.
With that, the car sold itself.
End of story. Kinda sad really.
But, a happy outcome for me - 1K miles in and I'm thrilled with it.
Best of luck with yours - the C7 is definitely a great machine, can't go wrong with either of these!
:cheers: