Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Audio Install Questions - Speakers, Wiring...etc  (Read 2364 times)

Offline JesseB

• Tech
Audio Install Questions - Speakers, Wiring...etc
« on: June 24, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »
Hey Guys,

I have a thread going over at solsticeforum as well, but I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to help me with a few final questions that I have before I attempt my install.

This is what I will be upgrading with (I already have a double din aftermarket head unit):
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Bass Amp (for the sub): Rockford Fosgate P400X2
Amp (to power the other speakers): Fosgate R300X4
8" Shallow Mount Subwoofer: Kicker 40CWRT82
6.5" Door Speakers: Polk Audio DB651s
3.5" Rear Speakers: Kicker 40CS354
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I have figured out so far (hopefully correct):

My r300x4 will be my amp for my speakers. So I will get to the stock amp location and the speaker wires should be there for me just to move to my new amp. (correct?). then I will run RCA cables from my amp to my headunt (aftermarket).

My P400x2 will run my sub. I will use the speaker wires to hook it up in the correct amount of ohm(s). Then I will run my 2 channel RCA cables to my RCA Y adapter (to make it one channel) into my sub out on my headunit.

I will be running 4awg power wire and I will bring them together with my power distribution block and run the one 4awg to my fuse holder (with 120amp fuse) ...then to my battery.

Then I will ground my amps and wire the remote to my headunit. *Can I put two wires into AMP #1s remote and run the second wire to AMP #2s remote so that I just run one remote wire to the headunit *

....Also, how will I go about wiring the tweeters since I only have a 4ch amp and the 4ch will be the front 6.5" and the rear 3.5"?

Also any tips on where I can fit my amps? Will I need fans? Any suggestions on which ones?

Heres the dimension of the amps:

P400X2: (H x W x D):   2.38 x 7.76 x 11.03 (in)

R300X4: (H x W x D):   1.98 x 6.77 x 13.19 (in)
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Audio Install Questions - Speakers, Wiring...etc
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »
Where are you located?
Make the right choices now

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:53:51 AM »
Gallipolis, OH 45631 (South Eastern Ohio)
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO

Offline Morfious

• SMMM 7 Cup Stacking Champion
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Tryin' to keep the rubber side down since age 2
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
This is what I have figured out so far (hopefully correct):

My r300x4 will be my amp for my speakers. So I will get to the stock amp location and the speaker wires should be there for me just to move to my new amp. (correct?). then I will run RCA cables from my amp to my headunit (aftermarket).

My P400x2 will run my sub. I will use the speaker wires to hook it up in the correct amount of ohm(s). Then I will run my 2 channel RCA cables to my RCA Y adapter (to make it one channel) into my sub out on my headunit.

I will be running 4awg power wire and I will bring them together with my power distribution block and run the one 4awg to my fuse holder (with 120amp fuse) ...then to my battery.

Then I will ground my amps and wire the remote to my headunit. *Can I put two wires into AMP #1s remote and run the second wire to AMP #2s remote so that I just run one remote wire to the headunit *

....Also, how will I go about wiring the tweeters since I only have a 4ch amp and the 4ch will be the front 6.5" and the rear 3.5"?

Also any tips on where I can fit my amps? Will I need fans? Any suggestions on which ones?

I would not reuse the factory speaker cables.  I would recommend you upgrade  your speaker cables.  The factory wiring is like 18 gauge or smaller wire if I remember correctly.  Some nice 12-16 wire would be much better.

You do NOT need a separate amp for the tweeters and the midbass drivers.  They will be able to run off the same channel in the amp.  Almost all component speakers come with a passive crossover network.  So the wiring goes RCA from head unit to amp then speaker wire from amp to Crossover network. The speaker wire splits at crossover network and goes to both tweeter and midbass driver.

Most head units have stereo sub outputs.  You may not need a Y connector to get your amp into bridged mode.  Not sure if you are powering 1 or multiple subs with the stereo sub amp.

Power and ground distribution sounds fine.  Make sure to find a good body ground and tie everything to it.  Helps to eliminate ground loops if  the electronics are tied to a known good ground point.

You can daisy chain your remote turn on wires.  (Like Christmas lights)  No problem with doing that.

I do not think you need to power the small 3.5 in "rear" speakers.  They will do nothing for sound quality.  You can run them off the head unit if you want to power them up.  I have my fade set +7 to the front on my head unit.

Some amps have the ability to run in 3 channel mode.  Stereo to fronts, and bridged to sub.  That is how I have my system set up with my Alpine PDX amp.  Bridged channel runs my Stereo Integrity shallow sub.  Stereo pair goes to the front.
Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K
Mods:
Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav System
Solo-Performance Street Race exhaust
Debadged
JPM interior (Doors, steering wheel, shifter, console now with 100% more Chuck Norris)
Custom dash and Flush mounted Valentine 1 Radar Detector
O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels with Dunlop DZ101
DDM Works (Big Brake Kit, backbone, intercooler, valve and coil cover)
GXP ZOK Rear sway bar

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 03:59:47 PM »
Thank you for the help! I was under the impression that the stock monsoon system had crossover in it, so I did not buy components, I just bought the 6.5"s and 3.5" s and sub. So now im thinking my tweeters probably wont be working unless I buy a crossover?

Offline Morfious

• SMMM 7 Cup Stacking Champion
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Tryin' to keep the rubber side down since age 2
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 08:03:27 PM »
The new coxial speakers you bought have tweeters built into them.  So you will still have working tweeters.  The factory tweeters in the factory A pillar will not work hooked up to aftermarket amps.  If you are able to exchange the speakers you have now, are willing to spend an extra $50, and like the sound of Polk speakers, something like the DXi6501 may work better.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI6501/Polk-Audio-DXi6501.html?tp=106

These will put the tweeter up higher on the A pillar which will help with stereo imaging.
Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K
Mods:
Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav System
Solo-Performance Street Race exhaust
Debadged
JPM interior (Doors, steering wheel, shifter, console now with 100% more Chuck Norris)
Custom dash and Flush mounted Valentine 1 Radar Detector
O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels with Dunlop DZ101
DDM Works (Big Brake Kit, backbone, intercooler, valve and coil cover)
GXP ZOK Rear sway bar