Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Lane Change Signal/"KomfortBlinker" Mod kit ready to do it, if there's interest  (Read 18883 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Back in February, I posted on the Sol forum, about my lane change signal mod - this is equally applicable to the Sky...

Quote from: TomatoSoup;1581978
A number of cars have had a feature that is missing in our Kappas.  That is the ability to just 'flash' the turn signal lever and have the car automatically blink the signal a number of times before switching off.  It's especially usefull in lane change situations, where you don't need to turn on the signal and then off again (or forget it's on and trundle down the left hand lane with your flasher going forever :))

This seems more popular in European makes, but is spreading.  I must admit I had not missed the feature - until my wife got her new car with it and now I really miss it in my Sol.

So, I took a look at the vehicle schematics and found it would be pretty easy for me to add the function. [...]

The device will hold the signals for three flashes by default, but I've programmed in a configuration mode that will allow you to change that to the length you desire (up to ~10 flashes max).

I'll hazard a guess that many/most here will have a response of "meh!" to this.  But if anyone else IS interested, I thought I might even put together a kit of parts and do a small run of home-etched PCBs. 

So it's been running and tested in my car for ~9 months without incident or failure and I feel comfortable enough to finally go ahead with producing a kit of parts if folks are interested (as mentioned above). I would need at least 10 folks who want one to actually go ahead with the idea.  The cost would be $20 for the kit and (undrilled) PCB, plus $5 for packing/shipping to the contiguous US.  Not sure about Canada since I don't know the postal and customs costs/issues to there.  I might also be reluctantly willing to pre-drill the PCB for an extra $5 or drill and mount the components for +$12.

The kit would include the preprogrammed microcontroller, all parts and the PCB. Plus clear heat-shrink tube as the 'box' and 12" of the 4 wires and a PCB connector to wire it in with  (you'll still need to attach the wires in to your car - power, ground and right & left turn signal wires at the BCM, as shown below). The finished PCB will be ~1 x 1.5 inches (so, small) and can be tucked in to the BCM area, or attached with velcro.

So respond in this thread if interested and let me get a headcount to see if it's worth going further.

Note: I'm not gonna make money off this, maybe not even cover my expenses :).

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
What does this kit actually do?  And how much if we come to your house for install?    MODMEET at TS :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
What does this kit actually do? 

It provides:

Quote from: TomatoSoup;1581978
the ability to just 'flash' the turn signal lever and have the car automatically blink the signal a number of times before switching off.  It's especially usefull in lane change situations, where you don't need to turn on the signal and then off again
Note how I carefully ignored the TS Mod Meet suggestion :)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Yeah, count me in Mark and sign me up for the MM.    :D
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
GJ mod meet at TS!

Don't tell anyone though, I think TS wants to keep this on the down low.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:40:01 PM by Sol Asylum »
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Count me in.

Thanks!
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
I'm in!  In fact, if you need a hand putting things together, hit me up.  I'm not far away now.

Offline redragon

• Tech
Count me in as well.

Offline cdnite

• Master Tech
I'm in too!

--Christian

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
I'm in for the MM. Already have flashy blinky thingies
Make the right choices now

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Sure. I'm in.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline bds

• Tech
I'm definitely in! (I think that makes me #8 on KP alone.) Can't wait!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:23:42 AM by bds »

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
OK, well a rough count of those interested indicates 7 folks on this forum alone, plus another 14 on the other two (Solstice and Sky) so far.

One change to the price, though. Shipping (which I thought would be $5) will be $6 for a flat rate USPS box. So add another 1$ to the cost from before:

Kit of parts: $26 shipped
Pre-made: $38 shipped
(no one asked for the middle kit+drilled PCB)

So since we are well over the 10 minimum to go ahead with this (err, yay!), on to the next stage... I've set up an separate email account for this: Kappablinker -at- gmail dot com. If you truly want to get one (or more) of these, email me at that address (do NOT PM me or the box will fill up). I will then send you Paypal instructions for payment. Once I have cash in hand I will order parts and then start building (don't forget to give me your address - still US only!). Please be aware, I will only make a maximum of 30 sets! This may take some time so be patient, I will build and ship batches in the order of payments received.

Since I'll be out of town at a customer site all next week, I'll give you all that time to email me etc, and so should be ready to order parts next weekend.

Onward and upward!
Again: Kappablinker -at- gmail dot com

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
Count me in!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
TS-
When is the mod meet?
Make the right choices now

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
do you have pictures of the setup and where the board is installed

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
The board will get installed at TS's mod meet, pay attention Joe.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
do you have pictures of the setup and where the board is installed
I'm out of town all week, so no.  But I just vecro'd mine in on the right of the BCM.  It connects to the C2 connector on the far right, for the turn signals, and then power and ground (4 wires total).

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Hey SA do we have the dates yet for TS mod meet yet?  You know being retired I have to plan ahead.  You are going to drive to this one right/
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
TS, what do mean by signaling before you turn?

is that something people do, because I can't seem to ever recall seeing that on the road.
I see lots of people putting on makeup, eating, smoking, texting, signaling to turn, not so much
:D

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Just on the side note, I'm trying to convince a friend to host a Mod Meet in the spring.  He's just built a new large garage with a lift.  He's currently building a 69 Firebird and an original Opel GT.  He also owns a Sky which he's rebadged as a GT.

Just not sure if his wife will go for it though. 

Is a Mod Meet even worth it nowadays?  Everyone's modded their cars as much as they can, it seems  :(

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
I would go just so you're not sad.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
There is always something to do on our cars.
And since we have not had one in a while, I think people would go.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Hey SA do we have the dates yet for TS mod meet yet?  You know being retired I have to plan ahead.  You are going to drive to this one right/

I think we just pick a date and show up, TS will accommodate us because that's the kind of friend he is.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
There is always something to do on our cars.
And since we have not had one in a while, I think people would go.

I Would be there for sure .That's something I miss doing
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass