Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Turbos and Superchargers, how do they work?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Turbos and Superchargers, how do they work?
« on: July 14, 2016, 08:23:36 AM »
Found a cool site that explains the difference between a turbo and supercharger, has some great animations that can be rotated in 3D and explains the premise behind each type.
Even if you know how each works you should check this site out as it's really well done.

https://www.tyroola.com.au/supercharger-vs-turbo/
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Turbos and Superchargers, how do they work?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
Cool!

(Apart from, the perhaps anal fact that, a "supercharger" is any device that increases air induction into an engine.  So a turbo is also really a supercharger :))
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »
There is some aviation history tied into this as well.  Piston engine aircraft suffer power loss due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure as you gain altitude.  One of the ways to counteract this was to add a blower what we now call a super charger, turbos hadn't been invented yet. 

The super chargers of the day being basically an engine driven air pump only added a few psi of pressure and would basically bring the manifold pressure at altitude up to try and equal sea level pressures.  Keep in mind as you gain altitude this becomes harder to do and would be rated at a specific altitude.  They called this process normalizing.  As the compressors improved and were able to boost to greater than sea level pressures it was termed boosted or super charged.  As turbos came along they were classified by how much they could increase the manifold pressure if they only went to sea level numbers it was a turbo normalizer and if it was higher than sea level they were turbo superchargers. 

Now a days we are so used to them being able to boost above 29.92 inHg, and we don't generally take our cars to 30k feet which would make it harder to achieve that number, that we just call them turbo chargers.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »
Interesting stuff Sol Asylum, didn't realize that.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »
Thanks for posting, even I can understanding it.  SB, I'm going to post this on the BB and credit you for finding and posting it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:17:49 AM by ChopTop »

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »
That is an awesome site. Thanks for Sharing.

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 04:22:39 AM »
There is some aviation history tied into this as well.  Piston engine aircraft suffer power loss due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure as you gain altitude.  One of the ways to counteract this was to add a blower what we now call a super charger, turbos hadn't been invented yet. 

The super chargers of the day being basically an engine driven air pump only added a few psi of pressure and would basically bring the manifold pressure at altitude up to try and equal sea level pressures.  Keep in mind as you gain altitude this becomes harder to do and would be rated at a specific altitude.  They called this process normalizing.  As the compressors improved and were able to boost to greater than sea level pressures it was termed boosted or super charged.  As turbos came along they were classified by how much they could increase the manifold pressure if they only went to sea level numbers it was a turbo normalizer and if it was higher than sea level they were turbo superchargers. 

Now a days we are so used to them being able to boost above 29.92 inHg, and we don't generally take our cars to 30k feet which would make it harder to achieve that number, that we just call them turbo chargers.

Sol, do you know the approximate timeline to this? I only ask because I know by the 1930s Turbo-superchargers (as I have read them referred) were being introduced in aircraft production. (Specifically, Boeing's YB-17 program.)

Offline Powermizer

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
Thanks for posting this Sly Bob. I think that site is great for someone who has no knowledge of turbos or blowers. I think there is some important things that could have been hit on a little better. I can say I will have my Boy's look at it, because my drawings suck. Lol

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 11:28:14 AM »
I don't recall if the books I have had dates included.  Its been over 20 years since I read them in A&P school.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »
I don't recall if the books I have had dates included.  Its been over 20 years since I read them in A&P school.

LOL No worries. I'm a B-17 nut and that's the only reason I know that little fact. LOL