Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Custom Tune vs Racing Tune  (Read 7037 times)

Offline Excelsior

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Custom Tune vs Racing Tune
« on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:38 AM »
I am trying to determine the differences between the two if any would be able to help me out here please.

I do autocross, but its not absolutely something that I do every time I get the chance.
---==--- ---==--- Bruiser ---==--- ---==---
|http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3335365|
---==--- ---==--- --==-- ---==--- ---==---
Attendee: 2010 NASSM | 2011 SMMM8

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Custom Tune vs Racing Tune
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »
Who's tuning are you referring to?

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »
Well it is in Wester's garage, so one would ASS-U-ME he was refering to it.   I think I know the answer but will defer to the turbo boys
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:30:20 AM »
:lol:
I didn't see the board he posted it in, I was just looking at the new messages :idiot: 

Waster's will do a custom tune for your modifications that will improve response, HP, TQ and gas mileage.  The race tune is more aggressive, you loose a 1 or 2 mpg and have a larger increase HP and TQ and tend to wear out your tires faster :lol:

Offline Excelsior

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »
Yes, the westers is what I was referring to.  But I need more specifics on each I guess.

lil goat

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »
Just get the race tune, it is the most fun and most aggressive, I don't even know anyone running the other one, although I have in the past. My car is a daily driver and I run the race tune, it's just a name for a more aggressive tune.

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
When I called Lyndon to make my appointment for a tune (June 4th!! :yay: ), I asked him "what's the difference between the standard and race tunes?"..he just just sort of chuckled and said "get the race tune, you'll enjoy it".  Hard to argue with that logic.
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline Excelsior

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »
I ended up calling and will end up purchasing the race tune anyway.  Now just to figure out how to kill this damn american express gift card that has $500 on it!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »
That is the best money you will have spent on your car.  Lifetime free updates

Offline Excelsior

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
Cool, Paypal let me link the gift card to my account.  I will be ordering mine soon.

lil goat

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
I was at the dealer today and was reminded of something by the lot boy, he asked me what I did to the clutch. He told me mine was the first Solstice he has driven where he liked the clutch, I had forgotten that was something fixed by the tune as well. I remember how I hated the clutch when I first got the car, I don't even think about it now. I am glad he reminded me.

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:45:31 PM »
That's interesting.  Can you try and explain how it makes the clutch feel better?  It is just a matter of having a little more low end torque after the tune, which makes it better mabe?  I am asking because I'm not a big fan of the clutch either, and any possible improvement would be sweet?
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

lil goat

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:39:19 AM »
When I first got the car, even being very used to driving a car with a clutch the car was easy to stall, not sure what Lyndon did but it makes the clutch more like other cars with a clutch I have driven is the best I can explain it. He just fixed it.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 12:46:41 AM »
The non-race tune from Wester's pushes boost to around 18 or 19psi, where the race tune is much more aggressive and pushes boost to 23psi.  The race tune is definitely the one to get.  I don't know anyone who has chosen the lesser of the two.  Every car that I have tuned in NY has chosen the race tune.  It is "seat-of-your-pants" ridiculous.  Even the guys in my local LI club that are skeptical about modifications eventually had me tune them and they do nothing but smile now.  I still get thank-you's from them HA HA.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline tailhooker

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:21:45 PM »
Hello , All:

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated , so disregard them .  I have some words for the fence - sitters and skeptics of the Westers tune:  Get it !!!!

If you have to eat peanut butter on Saltines for the next month or two, GET THE F - ING
TUNE !  I can't tell you the fun I've had shocking the crap out of various drivers of (what they thought were) fast cars.  My brother , who thought he'd "one up" me, bought a Ferrari 328S (V-8 , 330HP). I took him for a ride in my Wester's tuned '07 - (K&N, Dejohn intercooler,Solo Cat, and RCD,DDM Backbone and Pro Beam) . He refused to believe that he was being slammed back in his seat by a 2 liter (122 cu. in.) FOUR BANGER ! He said it was faster than my '65 Shelby American Mustang.

Look - get the tune. It's the BEST money you'll ever spend , and your car will still have 90% of the stock manners until you decide to embarrass somebody.

Regards,
Todd Schrack aka Tailhooker

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »
Todd after a post like that I want to go out and buy it.   Wait  I already have it...  Oh ya and you are correct in saying we shock other drivers.  Even twin turbo BMWs :lol:

Offline Excelsior

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
OK, quick tip for anyone doing an order........

DO NOT BE IN A RUSH AT THE USPS!!!!!
I went on my lunch and had 1 hour.  The paperwork was pre-filled out per instructions on page and the clerk knew next to nothing on how to process the order.  The only option mentioned to me at the USPS was GXG with no other options. Since I remembered reading something about GXG, I blindly agreed because there were 30-40 people waiting behind me.  The clerk could not find the postal code in the computer and then spent 10 more minutes on how to fill out what hazardous material was in the package.

NOTE: Westers page says exactly this:
GLOBAL EXPRESS GUARANTEED is the fastest method to get your computer here FOR TUNING. It takes 2 to 3 business days. ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR POST OFFICE FOR THE QUICKEST SHIPPING IN YOUR AREA, or go online to  www.usps.com. Ship all CORE RETURNS via PRIORITY MAIL.  This will take 4 to 6 days.

Now my shipping bill is $72.75 just to get it there and there is no way in hell to call the post office since the phone has been busy since 4:40pm when I started calling.  So I cannot ask them to hold off and redo this order.

If anyone can please tell me how much I was bilked out of, I would greatly appreciate it.  How much should this shipping have cost me if it was not through GXG?

Not a happy camper at this moment.  :(

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 08:20:49 PM »
Hate to say it brother, but since you asked....I paid $19.70 I believe....but it was definitely right under $20 (I did everything westers said to do on his website).
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline Excelsior

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 10:20:37 PM »
yeah, figured that out later.   And can't really go anywhere to complain about it since it was so close to their closing anyway.  So I am out ~$50 cause I took what the postal patron said without questioning it.  I will take it as an expensive learning experience and that is it.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »
bummer :(.  There wasn't anyone close with HPTuners?

Offline DirtyMike

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 01:06:33 AM »
i paid quite a bit as well when i shipped mine to wester's, but i have HPTuners now :cool: so no more shipping :D!

BTF ShabbyPipes w/TialQ ,HID low&fogs, stubby,Tints, RPi GT Exhaust & RacePipe, Hahn IC, Areoforce Dual Guages, DDM ProBeam, Race Backbone & APilar,Wester\'s Race Tune,TenzoR DC5, Eibach Sportlines, BTF\"BigWheel\" ko4+,JPM shifter,RK sport hood,norms sky fenders, HKS turbo timer & some CF bits

lil goat

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 06:19:18 AM »
I paid $50 the first time I shipped it got there in 3 days, tried to save money the second time got to Canadian Customs in 1 day, took 3 weeks to get to Wester's. The GXG gets you through Customs much faster, any other way is a crap shoot, could be 3 days could be 3 weeks, I got my tune before Wester's used HP tuners, man am I glad I don't have to ship my ecm anymore.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
Kinda strange that you guys paid so much to ship it and that it took so long.  Less than $20 and 10 business days for me to get it back in my hands here in California.
:dancing::dancing::dancing: