Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Just picked my 2008 up..  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Zxniner46

• Apprentice/Gofer
Just picked my 2008 up..
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »
Hello all,

I'm new to the solstice thing and am glad to be part of this movement.

I used to race solo II in a 91 civic SI and loved that car...Miss it a lot and am hoping that the GXP will fill that void.

I'm totally impressed with the power of this little car, but the handling is pretty sketchy.  Just put Indy 500 tires on it and they stick nice but the suspension gets really wonky exiting corners under power.

I've done some research on suspension and am leaning toward the ZOK setup rather than coilovers for two reasons...1 - The investment on the ZOK seems lower assuming I can use my stock shocks...Looks like they are the same number.   the other reason is I am a knob Turner and would rather NOT have knobs to turn as I will be obcessed with turning them.  I really just want a great handling, non adjustable setup.

If anyone has experience with both, please give me your opinions.

Thanks.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Just picked my 2008 up..
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 05:23:38 AM »
Welcome.

Handling depends on what you want from it.
My advice go step by step, there are some proven parts to work on handling on Kappa platform: Z0K bars, the DDM trio bars, shocks+springs.

I am a knob Turner
  :rofl: this is funny even for me, a non native english speaker  :rofl:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:19:28 AM »
First things first, get an alignment done at a competent shop.  Rear caster is adjustable on these cars, and many alignment shops don't have the tools or knowledge to check/adjust that setting.  However, if it's out of spec, or one side is set differently than the other, it can cause the issue you describe (instability on corner exit).  Does it exhibit this behavior more turning one direction (as opposed to turning the opposite)?

Offline Zxniner46

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 08:22:07 AM »
Thanks for the responses...It is not different turning left or right.  It is only when getting on the gas that it wants to squat bad in the back and rolls to the outside...Add a few bumps and it gets all upset.  I think it just overpowers the suspension.

Kelu, what can you tell me about DDM trio bars?  That's the first time I've heard of them.

OK...Guess I should have said tweaker instead of knob Turner... :)

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »
Hello all,

I'm new to the solstice thing and am glad to be part of this movement.

I used to race solo II in a 91 civic SI and loved that car...Miss it a lot and am hoping that the GXP will fill that void.

I'm totally impressed with the power of this little car, but the handling is pretty sketchy.  Just put Indy 500 tires on it and they stick nice but the suspension gets really wonky exiting corners under power.

I've done some research on suspension and am leaning toward the ZOK setup rather than coilovers for two reasons...1 - The investment on the ZOK seems lower assuming I can use my stock shocks...Looks like they are the same number.   the other reason is I am a knob Turner and would rather NOT have knobs to turn as I will be obcessed with turning them.  I really just want a great handling, non adjustable setup.

If anyone has experience with both, please give me your opinions.

Thanks.
Hello! Welcome....

I'm chasing the same wonky-ness as well. Hard to describe but I'm pretty sure higher spring rates will cure it. I must caution you however ZOK rear springs seem to be non-existent! Another forum member and myself both ordered a set of springs only to find the rear springs incorrect. It seems as though the springs at the warehouse are in the wrong bin. I would highly suggest calling Tom at http://www.crateenginedepot.com/ and ask him. He knows the story and hopefully steer you right on their availability. I know it took me a few months to sort out my return and receive my money back. I have come to the conclusion my next best option is a set of BC coil-overs. elff has an excellent thread --->  http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,8724.0.html that describes the options and spring rates.

DDM brace bundle (trio bars)---> http://www.ddmworks.com/SolsticeSky-Brace-Bundle-by-DDMWorks_p_302.html

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:01:38 PM by stungjoe »
Joe
2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE

Offline Zxniner46

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the info Stungjoe...

Bad news is I just ordered all the ZOK parts for my car before you posted...Crap.  I had to order from 3 different GM websites because some parts were shown unavailable.  How do I confirm if the rear springs are the right ones when I get them?  I ordered fronts from gmpartsdirect, and the rear springs and sway bars and parts from gmpartsdirect .

Crap...I was blissfully ignorant till I read this...

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the info Stungjoe...

Bad news is I just ordered all the ZOK parts for my car before you posted...Crap.  I had to order from 3 different GM websites because some parts were shown unavailable.  How do I confirm if the rear springs are the right ones when I get them?  I ordered fronts from gmpartsdirect, and the rear springs and sway bars and parts from gmpartsdirect .

Crap...I was blissfully ignorant till I read this...
Start at post #146 in the elff thread I posted above
Joe

Offline Zxniner46

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »
Awesome...Not.

Good news is at least GM parts direct said they were no longer available....That's why I ordered from. GMPARTSGIANT .  Iguess I'll hold my breath and see what happens. 

I'm assuming based on your pic and other info I've read that the springs should be similar in length to the fronts and the wire diameter should be same as the FE3 springs.

With all the parts I've ordered, maybe the only thing I'll end up using is the rear swaybar...

P.S.  there are custom spring benders around...If someone wanted to make a buck and had ONE correct rear spring to copy, I'd pay double what GM retail price for the springs are to have the correct setup....Anybody ....Bueller...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:02:12 PM by Zxniner46 »

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:12:49 PM »
Everything you wanted to know about the Solstice/Sky suspension pieces, written by the guy that designed the ride and handling packages for this car.  Includes specs and original part numbers.

See the table in message #1

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f42/suspension-packages-usage-58501/
Aggressive #000741

Offline Zxniner46

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:31:34 PM »
First I want to say thanks for all the info provided since I'm new here...It's much appreciated.

DaveOC...I can possibly use the Tinius Olsen machine at work to verify spring rate to that table, but there isn't enough info in the table to make a spring.  If we had info like free length, number of active coils, wire diameter, leading and trailing coil geometry, we could have a spring custom made to the exact specs they were made to originally.  If there was one spring to use as a pattern, I think a custom spring benders could make them for much less than what GM wants for them.  I've been in the auto industry for 25 years and the mark-up from 2nd tier supplier to service level distributor is criminal.  I'll bet these springs were originally made for less than $15 based on the approx $70 GM selling price.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:47:45 PM by Zxniner46 »

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 02:26:41 AM »
Now that you are welcome properly, I must do my job and hit you with the welcome smiley:
 :ttiwwp:

So picturessss ....
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »
Pick this book up; http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221364665350?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

This book shows you how to take advantage of the performance capabilities of the Pontiac Solstice. Its loaded with almost 900 images and detailed technical information to help everyone from the beginner to the expert. This book also goes through the steps and shows how a Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) road racing Solstice is created, along with the buildup of a 'drifting' Solstice and a brute-performance Solstice.

Shop around as the prices can vary quite a bit.

Offline Zxniner46

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »
Now that you are welcome properly, I must do my job and hit you with the welcome smiley:
 :ttiwwp:

So picturessss ....

I'll post pics soon...thanks

Anybody used these?

cpt010-kp ksport.  https://www.tunersports.com/ksport-kontrol-pro-damper-system-coilovers-cpt010-kp_p19927.html

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »

I'm assuming based on your pic and other info I've read that the springs should be similar in length to the fronts and the wire diameter should be same as the FE3 springs.

Yep they should be about the same. I would be hesitant about any spring that did not have the correct tag from the factory. If they have the painted on yellow stripes they're more than likely wrong. If not too late you may want to cancel the fronts now and see what you get for the rear springs. You can always re-order the fronts since they seem to be in stock.
Read Gentleman Jack's thread. He has some nice pics (use a spring compressor though)---> http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,7280.0.html

Joe

Offline stungjoe

• Tech
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »
Don't know anything about those...don't really know too much about the BC's other than they're used by several kappa owners around here. For the same money you can get the BC's from Dave at DDM and he has a ton of knowledge about our cars. Plus he's an all around nice dude who will help answer any questions or if you need any assistance during installation he'll be there.

http://www.ddmworks.com/SolsticeSky-BC-Coilovers_p_52.html
Joe

Offline Zxniner46

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18:32 PM »
For the same money you can get the BC's from Dave at DDM and he has a ton of knowledge about our cars. Plus he's an all around nice dude

http://www.ddmworks.com/SolsticeSky-BC-Coilovers_p_52.html

Awesome...I'll do some research and if I decide on BC, I'll give Dave a call...Thanks for the link.