Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Lightweight parts availability (body panels, suspension arms, etc)?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline slab8

• Tech
Been looking around, and it doesn't seem like there are many non-generic (ie: battery, wheels) lightweight parts out there. Am I missing something?

I see that there's Norm's Fiberglass, but all his hoods have a lot of vents I'm not too fond of.
TCE's brake kits are supposed to save weight over the stock parts.

Is anyone making lightweight control arms, stock-appearing panels in fiberglass or carbon (not counting VIS, their stuff never fits right) or anything of that nature?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Lightweight parts availability (body panels, suspension arms, etc)?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:16:13 AM »
For a Solstice? Not a lot of availability but Norm makes all of the Solstice panels including the doors in fiberglass. Look at the racing section of his site.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:21:45 AM »
The doors are definitely nice, but I think the best starting point is that huge, heavy panel on the nose.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »
Norm can make a hood sans the vents. You would have to contact him to see what it would cost though.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
I've asked him before, he said no.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
Norm can make a hood sans the vents. You would have to contact him to see what it would cost though.
I've asked him before, he said no.

Ask him again . . . attach a check in the amount of $1000 labelled as down payment.  His answer may change.

:rofl:

Aggressive #000741

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 01:22:24 AM »
Hello, yes money talks, LOL. Though the center inlet hood looks subtle yet functional. Thanks again from Norm

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
What does that hood weigh?

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »
Hello, about 38lbs. less than half of stock. For some race car guys I have made them even lighter, though I dont like too for the street. Thanks again Norm

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
Norm do you work much with carbon or Kevlar materials?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »
Norm do you work much with carbon or Kevlar materials?

We do some, not a lot. Use C/F for the race guys mostly when they will paint or wrap. Cosmetic C/F we dont do as most of our parts are very complex in shape and dont lend itself to line up correctly such as our diffussers. For Example a Ferrari 430 rear diffusser has detachable fins which can be made seperately and the pan can be made flat across.

True C/F vacum infused parts are costly and time consuming to make, not to mention the materials are roughly three times more. Our isolthalic parts weigh not much more than C/F and most race teams who break panels dont see a real benifit to spend three times the cost for a weight saving of a couple of pounds.

Another example we build panels for Porsche Cayman race teams, doors, floors, dash, roof and rear deck lid. We make them very light strong and a lot less money than C/F.

Offline CLH

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
Been looking around, and it doesn't seem like there are many non-generic (ie: battery, wheels) lightweight parts out there. Am I missing something?

I see that there's Norm's Fiberglass, but all his hoods have a lot of vents I'm not too fond of.
TCE's brake kits are supposed to save weight over the stock parts.

Is anyone making lightweight control arms, stock-appearing panels in fiberglass or carbon (not counting VIS, their stuff never fits right) or anything of that nature?

Battery can be done easily with only minor fab. I'm running a Battery Tender unit that weighs about 4lbs, sitting in the stock location. Didn't have to modify anything on the car side, just had to fab up a few parts to install it.

Norm has FG parts.

Multiple places to get LW brakes - DDM has a kit that is supposedly a good bit lighter.

Regarding control arms...have you held one in your hands off the car? They're aluminum and very light. I doubt you get much lighter without $$$. The only reason to bother would be to get adjustable units.

For wheels you'll need to go custom to get light.

Offline slab8

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »
Battery can be done easily with only minor fab. I'm running a Battery Tender unit that weighs about 4lbs, sitting in the stock location. Didn't have to modify anything on the car side, just had to fab up a few parts to install it.

Norm has FG parts.

Multiple places to get LW brakes - DDM has a kit that is supposedly a good bit lighter.

Regarding control arms...have you held one in your hands off the car? They're aluminum and very light. I doubt you get much lighter without $$$. The only reason to bother would be to get adjustable units.

For wheels you'll need to go custom to get light.

I think I already have all the easy wins;
Lightweight battery is in place (about 15lbs, I want some reserve capacity, and not need to plug in to a trickle charger every night!)
I've got TCE's brake kit, which saves a lot of mass, and the wheels on the car are fairly light, too, given their extra width.
Control arms, I was hoping for, because the front control arms are limiting my ability to go wider than 10" (and keep everything under the wheel wells), aftermarket ones might allow more clearance. Lighter would be more of a bonus.

Norm's stuff certainly appears to be good quality, and the doors and quarters are tempting, but the hoods aren't my style, and a lot heavier than I had hoped for.

This thread was more about ensuring there wasn't aftermarket support that I was missing. Looks like off-the-shelf isn't in the cards for what I want.