Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Tach signal.  (Read 5700 times)

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
Tach signal.
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:58:07 AM »
Hey everyone
 I'm in the process of trying to hook up a Race Technology Dash 2 and they require it to be hooked up to a Low level RPM source, this is the email that I got back from Race technolog

RPM – The DASH2 can only handle what’s known as a ‘low level RPM signal’. These signals are typically seen from sources such as fuel injectors or tach outputs of ECUs for example. The RPM conditioner we sell is to convert what’s known as a ‘high level RPM signal’ from a vehicle to a low level RPM signal. These high level RPM signals are from sources such as ignition coils, these signals can carry high voltage / current. So in short, you only need the RPM conditioner if you intend to get an RPM signal to the dash via an ignition coil or other high level RPM signal source. If you have fuel injectors on the car, I would strongly recommend you obtain the signal from the switched negative side of one of the fuel injectors. This in my experience, has been the most reliable source for a low level RPM signal.

By reading older post I was able to fined the brown , and the brown with white on the injectors are low voltage Ref. The problem with that is the ECU doesn't always produce a 12v Square wave to which this dash requires .  Which wire on the fuel inject would be switched negative side ? Best regards .
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:20:29 PM by Atommatt »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Tach signal.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
Atommatt,

WELCOME to Kappaperformance!  I don't have that answer, but there are many here that will.  TomatoSoup is our resident electrical diagnostics expert.  Hopefully he will chime in. 
I don't think it matters, but just in case, what year and model kappa do you have? 
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:12:23 PM »
Not that it matters but Kelu is going to ask for pictures of your car soon.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »
Someone called?

According to the schematic I have, each inject has a different-colored pair of wires to it.  The wire with the white stripe is the switched-positive wire, and the wire without the stripe is the switched-negative (yes they are both switched, apparently).

Schematic attached.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »
I think this is what I'm looking for  :D Thanks  TomatoSoup.  Now I have the LDK motor with the larger Opal injectors, but I'm sure it's still the same. Now lets see if I can get to darn injectors to splice in this wire.
 :thumbs:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 11:36:40 PM »
TomatoSoup is amazing.

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
Hey everyone after going home last night and looking a my extra motor in noticed the injector wires are a tan color. does it matter which one?

C:\Users\badermatt\Documents\injector wire.jp

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »
Per the schematic, pin 1 is the negative side.  If you look carefully at the plug you should see pin markings somewhere (at the front or back).
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
Atommatt,

WELCOME to Kappaperformance!  I don't have that answer, but there are many here that will.  TomatoSoup is our resident electrical diagnostics expert.  Hopefully he will chime in. 
I don't think it matters, but just in case, what year and model kappa do you have? 
You are still chasing elff  for post count? :lol:

SA: you are wrong this time, not a welcome post

Atommatt: Opel ;) not Opal ;)

TS great again...
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »
Kelu if you look he's had three post all in this thread, when I made my post he only had one, so sorta is a welcome thread.  But hey maybe you finally know what a Kappa looks like after all these years.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 06:24:27 PM »
This is a technical section of the forum ... improper for welcome thread and off topic.. at least this I know after all these years.

BTW: I doubt he owns a Kappa, so I'm not interested asking pictures  :D
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »
Thanks for all you guys help. Actually I don't have a Kappa,  I  have a 09 Ariel Atom 3 with a 415hp Ldk., Stage 2 cams , heavier springs 60mm Garrett with a air to water inner cooler. Tuned by ZZP If that post was directed towards me sorry about that, just looking to hook up a  new dash. Thanks . Actually where the wires come into the plug there is a # 1 and a # 2 but lll try to post a picture on Monday.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Tach signal.
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 01:12:31 AM »
Thanks for all you guys help. Actually I don't have a Kappa,  I  have a 09 Ariel Atom 3 with a 415hp Ldk., Stage 2 cams , heavier springs 60mm Garrett with a air to water inner cooler. Tuned by ZZP If that post was directed towards me sorry about that, just looking to hook up a  new dash. Thanks . Actually where the wires come into the plug there is a # 1 and a # 2 but lll try to post a picture on Monday.

We are happy to have you. As you might imagine, some of us have been here on this forum for a long time. We like to goof around.
If you have a chance, I'd love to see a picture of your AA!  415 hp in a 1,350 pound car must be quite a rush.
What part of the world are you in?

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »

The # 1 on the plug is what your referencing , correct.
 It seems very difficult to post pictures for some reason.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:14:01 AM by Atommatt »

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 09:22:14 AM »

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
I'll be Damned,  :thumbs: it sure is. Thanks Kelu.  Tomato soup the #1 on that plug is the one that you are Refereeing too as the switched ground?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:03:38 PM by Atommatt »

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 08:41:16 AM »
Sorry, I can't tell for sure.  It kinda looks like a part number.  But if it IS pin 1, then yes.

Can you see a pin 1 (or A) marking anywhere else to confirm?  Like inside the injector side of the connector?

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »
Let me double check tonight, I'll put the spot light to it this time. This forum is a little different when it comes to posting pictures. Ill figure it out .

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »

Atommatt, for non supporting forum members to post pictures you will need to:
Host the pictures on the web someplace
Know the location of that picture (I went to the link Kelu posted right clicked on the image, select properties, and copied the address)
in your post click the button that looks like a tiny Mona Lisa
then paste the picture location between the img]picture address here [img

If you quote my post you will be able to see what the script looks like to add a picture, its the top line of text.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:30:07 PM by Sol Asylum »
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
Let me double check tonight, I'll put the spot light to it this time. This forum is a little different when it comes to posting pictures. Ill figure it out .

OK, no need.  I checked the files on my computer today (I've been out of town) and found the pinout.  It *IS* the same as shown on your picture :)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 08:15:54 AM »
Awesome,  :cheers:  thanks Tomatosoup, Amazing.
 Thanks Sol Asylum I appreciate the help also. And that makes sense to because I didn't have any problem posting the picture of the Dash on the first post because it was on the web like you mentioned, and my pictures where not because they where new.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:19:50 AM by Atommatt »

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 06:57:28 AM »
Mr. Tomatosoup After taking the Fuel Injector harness a part from my other motor, I found that the 4 thicker of the 6 wires on the bottom of the main plug from the wire harness to the injector plugs are all the switch negatives.    :thumbs:

Offline cbr6

• Tech
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 09:59:45 PM »

Did you replaced the Honda K20A engine or do you have a Brammo manufactured Atom 2 ? Atom 3's have Honda engines.

Offline Atommatt

• Tech
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
Your correct 3's do have Honda engines But sense mine had some work done on it, and it needed to be re powder coated, I figured .....What the hell lets move the mounts to make it work with a Ecotec LNF. But ended up having problems with that motor, so I bought a new LDK from ZZP .Only Atom 3 with a Ecotec in the world, Plus it's the only one with a LDK to.
415 hp  350 tq

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:09:51 AM by Atommatt »

Offline cbr6

• Tech
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 07:25:03 PM »
upgrade your dampers, those base level Bilstiens  are so soft.