Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Back, sorta...  (Read 17879 times)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Back, sorta...
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »
Anyone here still racing in the MD area? The wife and I picked up a used Camaro last year, and the hope it to make it to an autocross or two this year. Would be nice to meet up with some folks, if any are still running their Kappas.

The Camaro already sees regular time at the drag strip, but I'm eager to try it on some corners...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Back, sorta...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:06 AM »
Uh, Wooooowwww, nice to see you back, even kind of back. I think we met at SMMM8 iirc.

You are talking about runs at the drag strip and not more info???? Time, pictures, timeslips ... get back correctly :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 11:12:06 AM »
Hey Kelu, I remember meeting you at that mod meet. Do those still happen at all?

I'll work on getting some pics up, finally got a PC buffer and learned how to properly detail a car.

We got lucky and found a low mileage 2SS manual that already had an intake and a Flowmaster catback.. Still working on getting better drag times, it's hard to get a good 60' time on the stock tires. Best run so far was 13.3 @ 107, with a 2.1 60'. Still trying various tricks to try and get it to launch better, though I've seen time slips that make me think I'm losing down the track. Put in a Hurst short throw shifter last week, honestly I expect that may help some as I lose a lot of time shifting. The Hurst makes it easier to shift hard and fast without making the car buck.

More mods are coming, but I'm not sure what order. I plan on getting an air-fuel ratio meter and HP tuners and doing the tuning myself. Somewhere in there I want to get a twin-disk clutch so I can get some drag radials. A cam is on the shortlist once I've got HP tuners figured out. Lastly, somewhere in there I need to figure out what suspension to go with. Thankfully the car came with one of the better suspension options, but not quite as good as the 1LE suspension. It's either a 1LE suspension or aftermarket, and no idea which yet.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
I'm sure we could have another mod meet, we just need someone to step up and host it.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
Love the mod meets met a lot of great people and GJ
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »
That's true, we did meet a lot of good people and GJ.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:46:12 PM »
:lol: When Sentence structure wins. :lol:

Uranium, didn't you used to have a G8?

You definitely have traction issues.  Try reducing the pressure on the rear tires and increasing the pressure on the fronts.
Better traction that way and less rolling resistance.  That thing should be able to put down 12's

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:16:12 PM »

You definitely have traction issues.  Try reducing the pressure on the rear tires and increasing the pressure on the fronts.
Better traction that way and less rolling resistance.  That thing should be able to put down 12's

Nope. Traded the 2.0 Sky in for a truck, paid that off and got a the Camaro. Considered a G8, but the wife and I don't need a four door and wanted the (slightly) better gas mileage of the Camaro. Which is enough of a brick already, I can't imagine a G8. I'm still surprised the Camaro handles as well as it does with it's two ton weight.

Fronts are a high as I think is safe, usually 38ish warmed up. I was looking at some other folks 60' times, someone ran a 12.8 with a 2.1 60'. Thinking it's my rough shifting (Any energy that makes the car buck upwards doesn't move it faster down the track) combined with the added weight of the 2SS package. That being said, I'm getting closer to the 12's, and am admittedly doing it the hard way with a manual.

:lol: When Sentence structure wins. :lol:

It's hard not to do that with cars...

Oh, and a quick picture: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 01:54:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing the experience and nice picture, car looks nice and clean ;)

AF gauge I don't see the benefit of it because is very hard to read, I would stick only with HP Tuners and log everything at the strip and analyze afterwards. Because AF matters what is in the ECU, commanded and measured.

Tires would help the most imho, something sticky and with a lot of sidewall.

Keep us updated ;)
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing the experience and nice picture, car looks nice and clean ;)

Whoever had it before us too great care of the care, under 3000 miles and not a mark on it when we test drove it. Sadly the paint didn't fair well once the dealership's "detailing" department got a hold of it. I've been able to remove most of the swirl marks, but a few deeper ones remain.

AF gauge I don't see the benefit of it because is very hard to read, I would stick only with HP Tuners and log everything at the strip and analyze afterwards. Because AF matters what is in the ECU, commanded and measured.

True, however the AFR gauge does help show if there's a lean condition occuring that the ECU doesn't see. Think of it as a redundant safety, this way you have two systems reporting AFR. If there's a discrepancy, something is up. Also, the Camaro only has narrowband oxygen sensors, this should be a "better" safety net. And of course it can still be tied in to HP Tuners for datalogging.

Tires would help the most imho, something sticky and with a lot of sidewall.

Keep us updated ;)

I fully intend to get some Mickey Thompson DRs for the car - once I have the money for a new clutch. Seems the stocker is only good for a launch or two with good tires...
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »
Watchout for that AF gauge, if you install its own sensor after car sensor it might read bad, if you install it before the car's O2 sensor than the ECU reading might be screwed and your car to run bad, also if you tap into the existing O2 sensor it might have signal issues.

MT are a good option, damn about stock clutch.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »
The Camaro actually has four O2 sensors, as well as four cats. (two of each for each bank)

The front set manages the AFR, the rear set are just to monitor emmissions. With manifolds the plan is to remove the rear cats with a straight pipe, and mount the aftermarket O2 sensor there. Same idea applies with headers, which are likely the first "go faster" part I'll buy. (good for 50ish HP with a tune.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »

I'm thinking Excelsior might have had the G8
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »
The Camaro actually has four O2 sensors, as well as four cats. (two of each for each bank)

The front set manages the AFR, the rear set are just to monitor emmissions. With manifolds the plan is to remove the rear cats with a straight pipe, and mount the aftermarket O2 sensor there. Same idea applies with headers, which are likely the first "go faster" part I'll buy. (good for 50ish HP with a tune.)

Unless I'm mistaken, you'll want your aftermarket O2 sensor mounted UPSTREAM of the catalytic converter(s).  Otherwise, you're not getting a true reading of the spent gasses before they're processed by the catalytic converter(s). 

Again, I could be mistaken, but at the very least it just doesn't sound "right" to me...

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, you'll want your aftermarket O2 sensor mounted UPSTREAM of the catalytic converter(s).  Otherwise, you're not getting a true reading of the spent gasses before they're processed by the catalytic converter(s). 

Again, I could be mistaken, but at the very least it just doesn't sound "right" to me...

Yep, that slipped my mind. They'll go just before the first set of cats.

Between work and school, my brain is cheesecloth. With headers, I don't plan on having cats, so it would likely be mounted just after the stock O2 sensor. My addled brain bled this over to the stock setup...
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 01:36:26 AM »
I'm thinking Excelsior might have had the G8
I think you are right, I have a picture with that red G8 which I drove to supermarket in one of the mornings  :thumbs: but I think that is from SMMM10 when Madalina was there.

Uranium-238: As long as you are aware that is a good thing ;) I have seen even in a Kappa issues with extra O2 sensor as I stated previously.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
Had a 2017 SS Camaro this week for a rental car. It makes a lot of fun noises but definitely needs better tires for the drag strip.
I tested the tires.
Make the right choices now

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »
Nice! Good to see you're still on here GJ! (even if other might disagree with me...)

We considered a 2016, but couldn't justify the cost. Plus, the LT1 still has a long way to go before it's as upgrade-friendly as an LS.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
Nice! Good to see you're still on here GJ! (even if other might disagree with me...)

We considered a 2016, but couldn't justify the cost. Plus, the LT1 still has a long way to go before it's as upgrade-friendly as an LS.
No doubt the lt4 will develop a solid following.  It is a lively and solid motor.
I really like the new style and the fact that they added so much lightness to the car.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »
The added lightness is definitely the best part of the 2016 redesign. I'll agree the new motors are great, but for the average home garage mechanic the LS simply dominates.

On that note, has the "LS swap the world" trend finally made it to Kappas? With truck motors both cheap and available, and the stock motors getting on in age, I'd think this would be a popular swap.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »
2Jz's are also taking over.   They are dominating the drift world. It's amazing to see how many teams that used to have an LS now have a 2JZ and are pushing more HP.   

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 11:09:14 PM »
The v8 swap is alive and well with the ls leading the way in the kappa, although not as often as first thought. The 2.0 has proven the be quite durable. I saw a 230,000 mile solstice this week! 

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »
Had a 2017 SS Camaro this week for a rental car. It makes a lot of fun noises but definitely needs better tires for the drag strip.
I tested the tires.

I may have heard that tire test...

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Update: The Camaro definitely has some sort of clutch/trans issue. Don't try and shift into second fast, or it'll grind.  The synchros in second have always been touchy, but something new is up.

This happened before I went to the track btw. Ran 13.7/13.8 all day. Thinking how slow I have to shift is part of the lousy times, MPH was 107-109.

A bit of a known issue with these cars, but still annoying. Tremec blames the way GM (AND Ford, AND Dodge, who both use the same trans) install/utilize the trans. The big three, of course, blame Tremec...
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 11:16:23 PM »
I may have heard that tire test...
I think that you heard the engine and saw the smoke but there was very little tire noise.
I just wish we would have had more time to test the G-Force meter!!!!!