Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Leather - real and fake  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Leather - real and fake
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:33:42 AM »
I'm looking for input from avid detailers and restorers.  I have a wide variety of leather seats in my "fleet" of vehicles.  I have used Lexol products for many years now, but technology has come a long way and my needs are changing.  I had relatively new vehicles with good condition seats and the Lexol line worked well.  When I would work on other peoples cars, the cleaner would do a satisfactory job and the conditioner would as well.  There has always been one thing I didn't like - the smell. 

it is 2018 now and there must be something better out there.  I am fine getting several different product for the different needs, but here is where I am at with each vehicle:

2009 Infiniti FX50s - These seats are in overall great shape.  They are perforated (heated and cooled) leather that is wearing well so far (about 85K miles) and the interior is black.  There are a few minor wear marks and the beginnings of creases.  I am looking for a product to restore some softness to the seats, renew the sealant / protectant and generally make sure these seats look good for another 10 years plus. 

2004 Infiniti FX35 - The seats are in good shape, great considering the age of the car.  120K miles. The interior is dark brown.  I have had two small tears repaired and those areas are not perfect, but hardly visible.  The leather is starting to harden and feels rough to the touch in some spots.  Almost like it needs to be dusted with 1000 grit wet paper.  For these seats I am looking for more of a restoration.  I won't need to re-dye the leather, but it does need more grunt work than the newer FX.  Again, I want to make sure these seats last another 15 years plus. 

1999 BMW 740i - The back seats have some staining and discoloration. The interior is medium to light grey.  I am not sure if it is surface staining or truly deep stains.  I've cleaned them with simple green and a microfiber, but that wasn't enough in this case. (Side note- I have found diluted simple green and a medium brush to work wonders on quality leather seats! - NEVER use a magic eraser)  The front seats have been refinished, though to be honest, it isn't a high quality job.  The look great from outside the car, but they feel like crap to the touch.  The color match was decent, and this isn't really a show car, so I wasn't too worried.  I have to be really careful with the fronts so I don't take off the new finish, but what I would like to find is a product that will soften them to the touch (again, the feel like they need to be hit with 1000 grit) and then a really good sealant / protectant to keep them looking like they do for a while.  Retreating every so often is not a problem.

So, what are you using for which application? What have you tried that stunk? Any tips or tricks you have learned? 
Yes, I am aware that there are 9 million youtube videos, advertisements and crap.  That's why I am turning to you!  Real world experience from real (-ish) people. 

Thanks in advance.
GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Leather - real and fake
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 06:55:05 AM »
Griot's.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/category/wash+detail/leather+interiors+liquids.do

I've been using their products for a while, and they're a definite step up from what you find on the shelves in auto parts stores. (Though Griot's is starting to have shelf space at at least Autozone, so no telling if their quality will tank...)

I've been using their Leather 3-in-1 on the Camaro's seats, which are a mix of real leather, perforated leather, and pleather. It's worked great as just a regular cleaner/protector, but admittedly this is a pretty "light duty" application. I've never needed to "upgrade" to any of their specific cleaners/restorers. No slippery residue, no gunk coating the inside of the windows on a hot day, so it's light years better than anything else I've tried.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
Have a look at  https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/117/leather-renovation

Between the Woollies restoration products and the Connolly's Hide Food, I have kept my fleet of British cars in supple leather for the last few decades.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:36:44 PM by wspohn »
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 01:08:21 PM »
http://www.leatherique.com/
x2. Stuff works wonders -- the classic MB guys swear by it as well. I cleaned 35 years of grime off my old seats and they looked almost brand new.

Offline Sky Pilot

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 06:32:12 PM »
I use Zaino Bros Leather in a Bottle.... smells like leather, greaseless and leaves leather surfaces soft as a cows @$$  :rofl:
http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Z&Product_Code=Z-10

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »
1999 BMW 740i -
You still have that turd ... nobody wants it, heh?  ... not even the european :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:31:58 PM by Kelu »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:42 PM »
You still have that boat ... nobody wants it, heh?  ... not even the european :D
I love this car!!!!

I will sell it to you as soon as you are ready for it.
Make the right choices now

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:29 PM »
I love this car!!!!

I will sell it to you as soon as you are ready for it.
Seems like this will be like .... never :D
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »
You still have that boat ... nobody wants it, heh?  ... not even the european :D

Said the guy driving a minivan (when the wife let's him)
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »
Said the guy driving a minivan (when the wife let's him)
You want to know the worse part? I wanted a minivan and she didn't ... so we don't even own one ...

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 11:21:45 PM »
So she didn't want a minivan and she is faster than you even when driving a VAG powered Dodge.  I knew I liked her.
2007 Aggressive GXP