Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Carbon fiber anyone?  (Read 7644 times)

Offline Minihawn

• Tech
Carbon fiber anyone?
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »
some of you may know me some may not. I’m building custom size skirts  for my Saturn sky redline. Initially I was going after the Z06 Corvette look between the years 2014 and 2017. However, as I’ve made progress I began to realize the side skirts have taken a life of their own so to speak. Inspired and reminiscent of the Z06 Corvette side skirts. But holding their own. Anyhow when I’m finished building them (almost) I have a choice between various colors and/or textures but more specifically I think I’m going to go with either a flat black, a gloss black, or carbon fiber look. Honestly I’m leaning toward carbon fiber the only issue is that I know very little about it. Anyhow here’s my question, is carbon fiber something and amateur could do? with some video watching and research? Or would you recommend a pro  Of course I have some experience with fiberglass, mechanical, various other related experience. However none with carbon fiber so if anyone would care to chime in and give their opinion. By the way the side skirts are made of fiberglass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:10:09 PM by Minihawn »
Fate has NO choice.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Carbon fiber anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:50:14 AM »
What ever you decide to use I'd consider putting some clear bra material on them as they'll be full of stone chips otherwise in no time.
Your car is red? A red carbon fiber might be cool looking. You could always hydro dip them after the fact.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 07:33:56 AM »
The only carbon fiber I have attempted is I put down some 3 dimensional 3M carbon fiber vinyl on my motorcycle windscreen lol. This might be a proof-of-concept option to get you going and will probably turn out better on the first try as opposed to a first try with diy real carbon fiber. 

:( Craigslist pictures to sell it [and buy the kappa  :D]

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 02:35:38 PM »
Carbon fiber is similar to working with fiberglass, a DIY can work with it.  The cost of material will be higher.  Were you thinking of adding an exterior layer for appearance?  If so one of the vinyl wraps might be better.  If weight reduction is your goal for reproduction parts, carbon will achieve this but remember most of the weight is resin or use of too much resin.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Minihawn

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »
Carbon fiber is similar to working with fiberglass, a DIY can work with it.  The cost of material will be higher.  Were you thinking of adding an exterior layer for appearance?  If so one of the vinyl wraps might be better.  If weight reduction is your goal for reproduction parts, carbon will achieve this but remember most of the weight is resin or use of too much resin.
Amazing! Thanks guys! What equipment would I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fate has NO choice.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 07:53:31 PM »
Did someone say carbon fiber?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:57:43 PM »
No, no one said it (they typed it)

I don't think you need any special tools to work with carbon material assuming you are just doing a wet lay up.  If you want to go all out then vacuum bagging tools and an autoclave would be in order.

Most low cost fiberglass is done with polyester resin.  The carbon work I have done was for aviation use and we used epoxy based resin or prepreg material.  Perpreg is probably beyond what you want it already has just the right amount of resin in the cloth it's shipped and stored at low temps and will cure at room temp.  It's usually used with an autoclave.

You will need to do some research to find the best resin for your project and materials.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 06:44:53 AM »
No, no one said it (they typed it)

I don't think you need any special tools to work with carbon material assuming you are just doing a wet lay up.  If you want to go all out then vacuum bagging tools and an autoclave would be in order.

Most low cost fiberglass is done with polyester resin.  The carbon work I have done was for aviation use and we used epoxy based resin or prepreg material.  Perpreg is probably beyond what you want it already has just the right amount of resin in the cloth it's shipped and stored at low temps and will cure at room temp.  It's usually used with an autoclave.

You will need to do some research to find the best resin for your project and materials.

I found the video finally by my favorite Canadian car channel, I think the guy helping them with the CF airbox just laid down the CF on a table then brushed on epoxy to make pre-preg.

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »
That's literally how they make the Carbon Fiber Tubs for the vehicles that have them.

The process is a little more advanced with the Epoxy, but all of the Carbon Fiber is laid by hand onto the mold.

Total DIY possible.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
That's literally how they make the Carbon Fiber Tubs for the vehicles that have them.

The process is a little more advanced with the Epoxy, but all of the Carbon Fiber is laid by hand onto the mold.

Total DIY possible.

What is the tub in the Solstice?  CF plastic right?!  I drilled that stuff holy crap invisible splinter city, wear PPE was the lesson learned

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 01:13:03 PM »
Anyone know any way to fix the little bubbles that come up?  On my hardtop the carbon fibre overlay is bubbling in spots.  Is there even a way to fix that, or will I just have to live with it?

Below is a pic of the bubbles I'm talking about.  They are on the right side of the top window openning.  Is there anyway to fix this (other than redoing it?)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:31:02 PM by MattM »

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
On an aircraft that would be a structural failure, how old is that top?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
Very new.  Got it December.  The carbon fiber is just and overlay so not structural.  Looks like shit though.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »
You could try letting the air out if the bubble but that may lead to more problems.  :banghead:

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 04:07:18 PM »
When you get a tiny pin to poke the hole do you use a hair dryer to smooth it out, or is there a better way to smooth?

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
When you get a tiny pin to poke the hole do you use a hair dryer to smooth it out, or is there a better way to smooth?

I think you need to drive south and get in the sun to let it cook a little and work it with a microfiber towel over a credit card.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 04:32:42 PM »
Is that vinyl graphics or bonded carbon fiber?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 05:13:25 PM »
I'm thinking it's just carbon fibre graphics...I could be wrong but somehow I don't think smoothline would go legit with it. 

Steelmesh, you think maybe if it got hot from thesun it would smooth out?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 09:35:44 PM »
Sure looks like graphics otherwise it would be under resin and that wouldn't bubble. Have your tried the old poke a hole with a pin and smooth it out trick? I wonder though that after all this time if you might soon be removing the film and redoing it.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 08:28:28 AM »
I'm thinking it's just carbon fibre graphics...I could be wrong but somehow I don't think smoothline would go legit with it. 

Steelmesh, you think maybe if it got hot from thesun it would smooth out?

If it's vinyl graphics it should help for sure, I would imagine it being summer time too when ambient temps are up.  Maybe you can cook it in your garage and use a heat gun with patience on low.  You can easily heat it up too much and "smear" the material stretching it too.  I'm not sure about the pin hole so I can't comment on that method, with my vinyl carbon fiber experiences I work the bubbles out.

I don't think it would hurt to ask the manufacturer for tips either, I'm sure they run into this sort of thing often with their customers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:32:28 AM by Steelmesh »

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »
I would but smoothline isn't exactly forthcoming with their stuff.  Like I said they just put an overlay of carbon fiber onto their fiberglass top so they probably don't even know....

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »
I would but smoothline isn't exactly forthcoming with their stuff.  Like I said they just put an overlay of carbon fiber onto their fiberglass top so they probably don't even know....

Can you press in the bubbles, like it is a legit sticker?  Or is it hard like actual carbon fiber?

Their website claims it is not a film:
CARBON FIBER TEXTURED EXTERIOR FINISH: Upgrade $475.00 extra

READY TO INSTALL ON YOUR CAR
High tech look! Three dimensional, with amazing light reflecting qualities. Low gloss, marine grade, not a film, won’t yellow or craze. This factory installed textured covering is a very tough material, usually lasts as long as a painted finish! All exterior moldings and windows are factory installed. These hardtops are shipped complete with all parts, ready for easy installation and use.

I purchased something like this for my projects: https://www.amazon.com/3M-CF12-BLACK-CARBON-FIBER/dp/B0059715BC

It is indeed a film, so not sure what smoothlines is actually using, my advice is for the CF faux films

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »
Well....they are just lying.  It's covering,  so it's Def a film...

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »
There may be a subtle difference between a textured vinyl covering (which this obviously is) and a film.  A "film" denotes a very thin layer - like a hydro-dipped finish - whereas the vinyl is thicker.

Still, $475 for some stuck-on vinyl is way too much IMO!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 12:38:06 AM »
Especially if it's peeling after 4 months.  I would call the manufacturer and discuss it with them.

Could one of the mods split this thread?  The OP's topic kind of got side tracked.
2007 Aggressive GXP