Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Ramp choices  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Ramp choices
« on: July 28, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »
I've been thinking about getting some ramps so I can conveniently get under GXPsy and my new era GTO do to my own service. My current collection does not include anything with a low enough angle. The two piece Race Ramps look pretty good, but I wonder if there is anything else not quite so pricey available. The GTO might get up a 17* incline, but it would be close. 17* should be comfortable for GXPsy. What are you guys and gals using? Thanks.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Online Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Ramp choices
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 06:09:22 PM »
I have a set of Rhino ramps I use for the Solstice, I can't say I actually use them much though as I can reach under the car and take the oil pan drain plug out without the ramps. The Rhino ramps have a 17 degree approach angle as well.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 01:38:53 AM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:28:50 AM by DeepBlueGXP, Reason: Fixed URL »
Make the right choices now

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 05:29:27 AM »
GJ, where was this link when we held mod meets?

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 05:30:08 AM »
Jeff, I use Rhino ramps

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 07:47:45 AM »
If you do any heavy work like engines and transmissions the quick jack is far superior to floor jacks and jack stands or ramps.  The first time you need to lower the vehicle real quick to get at something, the light bulb will go off about how awesome it is to have a lift under your car.  However for basic maintenance you can't go wrong with the Rhino ramps, they are light weight and easy to move and store. The old steel ramps weren't exactly "robust looking" either and were quite heavy. My opinions above but consider I own both systems.  Also, I have the large rhino ramps and need to put some wood at the beginning of the ramp to prevent rubbing the bumper cover on cars.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »
I'd love to have a lift, but with the low overhead in my basement garage a lift just ain't gonna happen! I'll give the Rhino Ramps a try and hope the GTO clears as well. Thanks, all.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
Picked a pair of the standard Rhino Ramps. I must admit to being more impressed than I had anticipated. And the best part? It'll accommodate all of our cars, including the 2006 GTO. Woohoo. What fun. Thanks for all of the input.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 06:16:17 PM »
Those Quick Jacks are awesome and for ~$1000 it is a hell of a steal.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 04:46:26 PM »
Those Quick Jacks are awesome and for ~$1000 it is a hell of a steal.

I've been dreaming of buying a set for years...but things in the house need to stop breaking for that to happen.

Just had to buy a new fridge. Could have bought heads and a cam for the Camaro and still had money leftover for the cost of said fridge...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 06:19:24 PM »
At least your beer will be cold, no matter how fast your Camaro goes it can't make that happen.  Unless maybe you leave the beer by the a/c vents in which case you don't need go fast parts for that.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »
At least your beer will be cold, no matter how fast your Camaro goes it can't make that happen.  Unless maybe you leave the beer by the a/c vents in which case you don't need go fast parts for that.

That's what the beer fridge in the garage is for...then there's always the kegerator too...a relic from when I homebrewed, but currently there's a keg of Sam Adams sitting in it at 38 degrees...

Instead, I think of all the food poisoning I won't be getting...current fridge still cools, but not enough to be safe. (Hoplefully still enough that the local electric company will give is $50 for it...beer money, that's the plan anyway...)

Still, have to have a working fridge. Just sucks that they're so expensive these days. Our home was rented prior to us buying it, and the prior owners put the cheapest fridge the local Lowe's sells in it, likely when the original died. Sadly that means that the cheap option is only good for 3-5 years at most, so we opted for a good one. (Hopefully.)
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
I've been dreaming of buying a set for years...but things in the house need to stop breaking for that to happen.
I hear ya buddy
This last year has kicked my ass.
We have been in our home for 15 years now and shit is just breaking and the cost to repair is not justifiable compared to buying something new, but new is obviously more money. 

In regards to the beer comments, I barely drink anymore, and it's amazing how much money that saves you.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 10:19:23 AM »
Instead, I think of all the food poisoning I won't be getting...current fridge still cools, but not enough to be safe. (Hoplefully still enough that the local electric company will give is $50 for it...beer money, that's the plan anyway...)

We just did that with our old fridge.  The notices all said to make sure it's running and can prove that it's in full working order,  but when the guys came to pick it up they never even checked.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline THe_Ghost

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »
I'll give you a cheap, inexpensive ramp....I built my own.  I got two 10 foot 10x2s.  Cut them both into a 4 foot and 6 foot board.  Then took the 6 foot and cut into a 3', 2' and 1'.  Screwed them all together, the top 3 from the bottom first, then from the top down into the bottom board.  Then screwed from the bottom of the fourth board up.  Don't forget wood glue if you don't plan on taking them apart.  This give a 2" increase every foot, which is just enough to not catch the nose.  If I had it all to do over again, I would have added one more board on the bottom at 5'.  I'm a larger guy and I can get under all the way to the transmission.  If I would have had another 2 to 4", I could use a scooter to get underneath it instead of squirming.