Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Real carbon fiber dash  (Read 1312 times)

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
Real carbon fiber dash
« on: April 02, 2020, 01:19:52 PM »
hand anyone skinned their Pontiac Solstice Dash (the gray part). I was looking at the after market stick on CF dash kit and didn't like the small areas that show the gray around buttons etc. I was looking at skinning mine with carbon fiber fabric then using some epoxy to build it up and toping it off with UV resistant clear coat. does anyone have experience doing this.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Real carbon fiber dash
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 09:16:55 PM »
Great idea! truth be told, I've never been a fan of those kits for the reason you mention. Have you considered hydro dipping?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
I have considered it but I feel like it wouldn’t look authentic and it would bother me that it wasn’t real

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 11:14:36 AM »
I would be concerned with the epoxy actually forming a secure bond to the dash plastic.  I believe that it is Polyethylene and pretty much nothing bonds well to it.  You could go through the whole process and then just have it fall off.

Other wise it should be a simple process if you have done fiberglass work before.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
I would be concerned with the epoxy actually forming a secure bond to the dash plastic.  I believe that it is Polyethylene and pretty much nothing bonds well to it.  You could go through the whole process and then just have it fall off.

Other wise it should be a simple process if you have done fiberglass work before.

This would be my first shot at it. I would use a smaller part to test and go from there. As far as bonding. All and any holes would have some folding over the edge and secured to the back side. I’m not too concerned about it delaminating

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »
Folding over the edges will have some issues for you, clearance would be one. Another being actually getting the cloth to make the bend and lay down on the other side especially around curved edges.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »

The "Boomerang" dash is not Polyethylene, but rather ABS  (=airplane model plastic :)).  HOWEVER, you MUST strip the grey paint off the dash first, because that paint is very non-stickum (technical term).  But that's easy enough to strip with Easy-Off oven cleaner, or equivalent...  https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/ppssstt-wanna-see-an-easyoffd-boomerang.83578/

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 07:36:06 PM »
WTF
Is there anything you haven't done!?!?!?
:lol:
That's pretty awesome.   Excellent job de-sticki-ing the non-stickum