Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Sub install question  (Read 1569 times)

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
Sub install question
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »
So I know stereo installs and sub installs are a topic well covered. But I wanted to see if anyone has installed a Thin-Line 10TW3-D4 in the stock sub box?  I really want to use this sub but with as little NOTICEABLE modifications to the car or cutting the back wall. Any advice I would appreciate.

Here is a link to the sub woofer
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:34:39 PM by Sly Bob, Reason: Fixed the long URL as it broke the formatting »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Sub install question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 07:39:36 AM »
Is the stock sub not 8"? I know some have found a low profile sub that fit but I'm not sure what they used. I know some have installed the 8" Pioneer shallow sub.
To these old ears the stock sub sounds pretty good. :D

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SW2002D2
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:38:38 AM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »
My sub worked great once you replace the stock radio.  I have the monsoon system with the stock amp.  The stock radio pre-amp is really low.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »
Yeah and that's what I meant when I said my stock sub sounds great.
I replaced my head unit not long after Joe did and it's a night and day difference after the old radio was gone.
Do you still have your stock radio Hammy?

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 07:33:11 PM »
It was a long time ago but my setup was
Kenwood DNX8120 HD Radio,
Alpine Amp,
Kicker CVT8
Stock Monsoon subwoofer box
Sounded awesome

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 10:55:03 PM »
Yes just replace my stock head unit with an alpine ILX W650. I decided to order from Crutchfield since I get a 60 day exchange and I picked up an infinity 140 watt digital mini amp along with a Rockford fosgate p3d2 8 inch sub. I’ve heard good things about that sub in our cars so we will see. It should be here either tomorrow  or Monday. I
Once I get it installed I’ll let you k or what it goes.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:00:20 AM »
Looks like a nice head unit. I'd definitely buy from Crutchfield again, if you have trouble of any sort with the installation they'll bend over backwards to help.
They'll spend many hours on the phone troubleshooting and getting to the bottom of any issues that might arise. Don't ask me how I know...   :D

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 09:36:36 AM »
oh yes they have great service

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 07:02:03 PM »
I agree with buying from crutch field as well.  You can beat their price in other locations, but IMHO, their customer service, and harness adapter / install kits are worth every penny and they kick butt if you have to call them for help

Hammy
Can you edit that link in your first post.
It's causing the web page to be extra wide.   

You can do this
{url=http://blah.com}Random description{/url}

Just replace the {} brackets with [] brackets

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 12:11:57 AM »
Ya someone beat me To it. I also want to add sound deadening. Is it worth it and how did it help and how many square feet did you need?