Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Replacing Headlights!  (Read 946 times)

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
Replacing Headlights!
« on: August 01, 2020, 01:17:25 PM »
Finally replaced my headlights! :buff:

The clear coat has been flaking off and they started to turn yellow.

Additionally the U.S. Redline version is looking much better than the EU Opel version ( U.S. = black / EU = chrome).

The U.S. version is complying with EU law and has been certified (they are marked on the clear plastic with an E13)

Here is a little warning for everyone who is buying a new headlight!

GM is no longer attaching a seal  to the headlight!!!!!!!

The seal is located on the left side of the right headlight / right side of the the left headlight.

The seal has been attached to prevent friction between the hood and the headlight.

You can remove the seal from the old headlight, but please use the following steps:

1. use a hair dryer tho heat the double sided tape ( if you don't do it say bye bye to the seal) :banghead:

2. carefully start to pull up the seal (I said carfully superman), inch by inch.
   Always grab the seal close to the plastic, don't dare to grab it at the top (if you don't do it like I'm telling you to do it, you'll need a lot of super glue to
   complete the seal puzzle. Additionally you'll need the fire department to separate your fingers) :gaah:

3. After removing the the seal you need to remove the old tape, be very careful ( try to use alcohol, cellulose thinner or something else / remember it's an
    pretty old rubber seal).

4. buy a double sided tape for automotive use (tape needs a width of min. 1 cm = 0,3937 inch / max. 1,2 cm = 0,4724 inch)

5. attach the tape to the seal and then attach the seal to the headlight.
   Warning!!!!! Attach the seal in the same position as on the old headlight (no not an inch up or down, same position or the seal will be too low or
    too high / I know the marking for the seal looks different)
. :gaah:

Well done, your headlight is ready for mounting.

(Hopefully my English hasn't gotten worse / damned German)
Oliver  :usa:

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Replacing Headlights!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 01:25:42 PM »
Great write up, good job
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
Good thing your brother is a fireman!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 05:47:29 PM »
Yep!

He just shook his head and asked me how I managed to glue my fingers together. :gaah:

I told him what happened and he answered "Oh boy, put the glue on the seal and not on your fingers you dummy" :lol:

Online Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:55:51 PM »
I agree with others when they say "great writeup". Good information that might come in handy down the road.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »
I agree with others when they say "great writeup". Good information that might come in handy down the road.

Thanks! :D