Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Think I found solution for perfect 2 step launch  (Read 5193 times)

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
Think I found solution for perfect 2 step launch
« on: August 17, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
So...Im sure you guys have seen through a few threads I've had about the two times I went to the track.

First time I went I managed a 13.6 at 102 with my 2 step at 4000 rpms.  Well ,problem was that I went back last year with same setup and tried again but blew my rear diff out!

That sucked.  The reason this happened is that I was using the 2 step and basically dump in the clutch (spec stage 3 6 puck with lightened flywheel) and what happens is that it shocks the drivetrain which booted the car some (even the first time I went) and shocks the drivetrain.  The last time I went the tires didn't spin but instead developed.

So I still want to use the 2 step but its hard to try to slip off the 2 step (I tried it once) because you hold the hard pedal down and its a lot of preesure on your leg which just wants to let up. 

Well I think I found the solution!  Its called the clutch tamer a stand alone cylinder that goes under the dash and fixes to your clutch pedal.  You set it to allow the clutch to drop until maybe the last 10 percent the let out slower.  This allows your clutch to slip slightly/quickly and consistently.  This should allow me to drop the clutch off the 2step but still have the clutch cushion the hit enough not to bog the car or shock the drivetrain.

Has anyone else looked into this/know about it?

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Think I found solution for perfect 2 step launch
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:02:34 PM »
I just feather the clutch when launching for the same reason, as you, only in my case it's axles I'm worried about.

Your clutch matters more for this though, is it designed to handle that slip? The Mcleod I've got in the Camaro is, you can smoothly let it out under load without smoking it.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
Its a spec stage 3 (6 puck) with a lightened flywheel... I would assume it handles heat rarely well.  Don't know for a fact though.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 06:45:44 AM »
Wouldn't hurt to ask Spec, worst that can happen is they don't respond. I'm (quickly) learning the hard way that using aftermarket parts outside of what their original engineered purpose isn't great for their lifespan. (See the clutch master cylinder on my Camaro...)

If it's not designed to slip, that slipper could fry it and you'd just be better trying to find another way to launch softer. I don't know if you tune a softer launch without an aftermarket ECU or control box though, but that may be a better option.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 12:17:09 PM »
Well....I know the material is pretty good at handling heat because of the first install I got on it.

I wanted to use the spec stage 3 with the stock flywheel, but the machine work on the flywheel wasn't done perfectly.  This caused the clamp pressure to be way subpar and as a result when I would floor it the low clamp would cause the clutch to slip for about 200-500rpms then it would catch in every gear.  That clutch never glazed or burnt up and I kept hitting on it to see if it just needed broken in for about 2,000 miles or so.  Still have that clutch in my shed. 

That said, I'm thinking the material is very durable for handling heat (if not it would have just slipped and slipped without catching).  Hell I'd feel comfortable putting that clutch back in with a perfectly machined flywheel. 

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »
Well there's an easy way to find out...drag the clutch and see if you smell anything...
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 02:25:39 PM »
I have and no I don't smell anything.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 07:33:02 AM »
Well that's a good sign.

Re-reading your original post, this thing will allow slip in all gears? Or just first?
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
Apparently it will allow a slight slip in each gear if you want it to, but if you don't push the clutch all the way down to the floor it won't "activate" it if you don't want the slip between gears.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 05:36:28 PM »
Did your wheels hop on the run where your diff broke?

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 08:04:50 AM »
Did your wheels hop on the run where your diff broke?

Yeah so, I got new tires (nothing great) and the problem was that me and the other sky were the first to run in the morning (right after they sprayed all the tacky stuff).  I'd set the two step to try to overpower the back wheels to produce some spin at (4000rpms)  problem was that with how prepped the track was it just produced wheel hop instead.

If I would have been smart I would have driven through the water to try to lessen the initial hit some.

I've tried to slip the clutch a little with the two step but it's def hard to do, and if you do it too much you'll just burn the clutch.  That's where I think the clutch tamer would help because I could dial in the slip to make it slight and take some stress off the drivetrain on the launch.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 07:14:06 AM »
Wheel hop is a big issue in the 5th gen SS Camaros, I've even got it on the street a few times. Way back when Hot Rod hadn't been bought out by giant media conglomerates that cancel races for no good reason, they used to publish "What breaks when" articles:

http://web.archive.org/web/20170826104608/https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1106-fifth-gen-camaro-parts-failure/

Point is, lots of things can lead to wheel hop, and I don't see a slipper clutch being a long term fix for what's really a bigger issue. It may solve the issue for now, but when you add more power, or do anything else to change the equation (wheels, tires, etc.) it may come back unless you start fixing what causes it in the first place.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »
Wheel hop is a big issue in the 5th gen SS Camaros, I've even got it on the street a few times. Way back when Hot Rod hadn't been bought out by giant media conglomerates that cancel races for no good reason, they used to publish "What breaks when" articles:

http://web.archive.org/web/20170826104608/https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1106-fifth-gen-camaro-parts-failure/

Point is, lots of things can lead to wheel hop, and I don't see a slipper clutch being a long term fix for what's really a bigger issue. It may solve the issue for now, but when you add more power, or do anything else to change the equation (wheels, tires, etc.) it may come back unless you start fixing what causes it in the first place.
I only have two more goals with car (get best 1/4 mile time with trifecta on custom 93 octane tune) then (best time on ethanol)  same street tires.  After that, no more runs.  One of the other things I didn't get a chance to do was to lower my back tire pressure to around 21 psi (which could have dampened the wheel hop some).

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
Also keep in mind that with a conventional launch I don't have wheel hop but I don't get the benefit of the 2 step that said if I fully let off the clutch it completely shocks the drivetrain (which is what led to the wheel hop).  The best fix to that shock is to allow slight slip.  Right now without a mechanical solution to introduce the slight slip I would have to depend on my left foot which (if not done correctly or done for too long) could also introduce the chance of burning up my clutch which I don't want either.

That's why the clutch tamer is an obvious solution.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 04:14:05 PM »
Yeah so, I got new tires (nothing great) and the problem was that me and the other sky were the first to run in the morning (right after they sprayed all the tacky stuff).  I'd set the two step to try to overpower the back wheels to produce some spin at (4000rpms)  problem was that with how prepped the track was it just produced wheel hop instead.

If I would have been smart I would have driven through the water to try to lessen the initial hit some.

I've tried to slip the clutch a little with the two step but it's def hard to do, and if you do it too much you'll just burn the clutch.  That's where I think the clutch tamer would help because I could dial in the slip to make it slight and take some stress off the drivetrain on the launch.
I had wheel hop to at first and let air out of the back to about 20 psi and they stuck better. Wheel hop will destroy a rear diff

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »
Agreed!

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 06:50:43 PM »
Im looking at some other advice to soften the hit In reading about folks that use the 2 step and e-brake to preload the drivetrain which is supposed to really soften the hit.
I'm not quit sure how to do that though and there is conflicting info on how to do it.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 10:01:29 AM »
Im looking at some other advice to soften the hit In reading about folks that use the 2 step and e-brake to preload the drivetrain which is supposed to really soften the hit.
I'm not quit sure how to do that though and there is conflicting info on how to do it.

Usually that's advice given to avoid spinning, where you're worried about the sudden torque breaking the tires loose. As you release the brake, there's a "ramping" of torque instead of a shock load.

Go watch some Cleetus McFarland videos where he's racing Leroy. He does this when he launches.

Still won't prevent wheel hop though.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 09:33:02 AM »
Would suspension work help dampen the shock, like softening the rear and getting it to squat?  There is a picture somewhere of someone who knew how to drag race a solstice and nearly got the front tires up.  I did a google search cant find that photo, one of you all might know who I am talking about.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
Would suspension work help dampen the shock, like softening the rear and getting it to squat?  There is a picture somewhere of someone who knew how to drag race a solstice and nearly got the front tires up.  I did a google search cant find that photo, one of you all might know who I am talking about.
DeepBlueGXP was the one who was able to do that.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
DeepBlueGXP was the one who was able to do that.

Yes, and on perhaps the best prepped track in the country. I think he had coilovers, but he'd have to answer that.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 10:10:32 AM »
Just had a thought: if your purpose for taking the car to the track is to have comparison data between modifications, consider using the trap speed instead of the ET.

Trap speed is generally less effected by a poor launch than ET is, and is usually used by racers as a gauge to the car's HP. You might be better served to spend your money on the upgrades you want, go make several passes with soft launches, average the trap speed and use that as your benchmark. If you weigh your car post run there are even calculators to help you approximate your car's HP.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 04:56:55 AM »
We use Dragy, generally for 100-200km/h to measure the delta in power.
Just find an empty road and rip it, no hard launches, no track.

https://dragymotorsports.com/
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 02:22:32 PM »
We use Dragy, generally for 100-200km/h to measure the delta in power.
Just find an empty road and rip it, no hard launches, no track.

https://dragymotorsports.com/

Haven't used one myself but a couple motorheads at work say they work pretty good.  I have one of those OG passport units, but my car has poly engine mounts and the kappa windscreen tends to resonate at low rpms so it has trouble functioning.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
Just had a thought: if your purpose for taking the car to the track is to have comparison data between modifications, consider using the trap speed instead of the ET.

Trap speed is generally less effected by a poor launch than ET is, and is usually used by racers as a gauge to the car's HP. You might be better served to spend your money on the upgrades you want, go make several passes with soft launches, average the trap speed and use that as your benchmark. If you weigh your car post run there are even calculators to help you approximate your car's HP.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php
Nah thats not why I posted the thread.  Im looking at stuff for launching the car.  I'm looking at stuff to yet the best launch I can with minimal drivetrain shock (which causes the issues that occurred for me at the track).

I was hoping someone with a Kappa might chime in who had experience with 2 step launches at the strip as well as experience with the clutch tamer but it looks like no one does.