Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Help with burning transmission lube smell!!  (Read 1597 times)

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
Help with burning transmission lube smell!!
« on: August 18, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
Hey guys,

I posted on one of the other forums about this, but wanted to get an extra take here.  So I drive my car to work and it drives fine (no smoking etc.) but I get to a stop and get the faintest smell of burning oil.  Then I park it and keep it running and pop the hood.  I'm able to pinpoint the odor only to the driver's side of the engine closer to back of the engine bay.  Then upon smelling closer it smells more like a burning transmission lube odor as opposed to engine oil. 

That's weird to me because the transmission is further back and for it to have more of a burning smell to it I would think the only place it could be leaking from that would be close enough to the engine to actually burn is the bell housing.  That said, I'm not thinking it's the housing because I don't see and oil droplets anywhere and the clutch is not slipping at all (so it's not wet). 

Someone on the other forum recommended I look at the motor mounts because they can crack and leak fluid, but does that fluid have a distinctive transmission lube smell to it? 

Any other suggestions on what this could be?  Again, no smoking from under the hood just that faint odor. 

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Help with burning transmission lube smell!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
Get the car in the air and check the color of the trans oil? After a year in the Camaro the fluid I used was still purple, car is do for it's annual oil change this month so I'll check it again then.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »
I get that, but does this sound like a transmission leak or could it be something like a strut or motor mount leaking.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 06:15:39 PM »
Ok so I've narrowed down some more that the smell is possibly coming from the coolant overkill. The overkill container was pretty hot to the touch maybe that the cause of the smell.

Should the overkill itself be hot to the touch? My temps didn't get passed 205 though. Also the overkill is almost perfectly half full. Is that low?

Also car sat all day pulled it out and there were no drops of liquid or anything.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 08:36:58 PM »
Ok so I've narrowed down some more that the smell is possibly coming from the coolant overkill. The overkill container was pretty hot to the touch maybe that the cause of the smell.

Should the overkill itself be hot to the touch? My temps didn't get passed 205 though. Also the overkill is almost perfectly half full. Is that low?

Also car sat all day pulled it out and there were no drops of liquid or anything.

If it's the overkill, I don't think you can get enough fluid in there or get it too hot!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 10:12:06 PM »
So looking for help and I'm typing on my phone.  Sorry it didn't post correctly, but you could be helpful instead of pointing it out.

Does the dextron coolant smell anything like transmission lube when hot?

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »
So looking for help and I'm typing on my phone.  Sorry it didn't post correctly, but you could be helpful instead of pointing it out.

Does the dextron coolant smell anything like transmission lube when hot?

Dexcool has it's own smell, kinda a similar but different compared to "normal" coolant. It doesn't smell oily, at least to me.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 09:05:22 AM »
This is SO weird!  I am not seeing any leaking but am consistently getting that smell on longer drives. 

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
Ok, so I removed the cap and I do believe that was the smell I was smelling. When I think about it...the smell was coming from the little black hose thats not connected to anything on the side of the tank.

The thing is though should I be smelling anything? I thought it was a sealed system so why am I smelling it after its gotten well warmed up? That said, no overheating or anything. Strange.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 03:34:17 PM »
It's not a truly sealed system, the cap has a valve so it can maintain a fixed pressure and then vent if the pressure is too great.  If they didn't vent it would actually be a steam powered explosive device.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline joybill44

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »
You might check the gasket in the coolant reservoir cap. If it is cracked or leaking It could be venting too often. It won't vent coolant but will vent pressure too often if damaged.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »
Temporarily put an extension on the overflow tube and run it down and away. If the smell is gone, or moved, you’ve found the source. Then on to finding the cause, and finally a solution.
Make the right choices now

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 06:49:04 AM »
FWIW, my truck has seeped coolant from a few places ever since I bought it. Not enough to leak, just enough that every once in a while you can smell it.

Another thing to check, coolant isn't visible in the car's exhaust is it?
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
Makes sense!

I'll look into purchasing another cap..

Thanks for your help guys!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
Damn.  I suggested this to you 2 days ago on the Sky forum   :poke:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »
Well those people on Sky forum aren't as smart as those of us on this forum.
2007 Aggressive GXP