Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Wastegate question  (Read 1121 times)

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Wastegate question
« on: August 25, 2020, 03:36:11 PM »
I am in the middle of an EFR 6758 install and I am running an external wastegate. This wastegate has coolant line ports on it and I would like to know if connecting them to the second set of coolant line ports on the turbos center section would work. I know that the coolant running through the wastegate is optional and probably is not usually done. But I figure it couldn't hurt to have them connected.

If connecting to the turbo will not work any suggestions where to attach that would?

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Re: Wastegate question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 12:01:13 PM »
Can you easily Tee off your custom turbo coolant pipes, to run in parallel?  Or maybe Tee off the heater core so that the turbo gets full volume from it's circuit.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »
I had actually thought about both as well. The heater core is a no go because one of the nipples is 3/4" while the other is 5/8" The issue is locating a brass or stainless steel branch tee for 5/8" that provides a straight through barb fittings in 5/8 and the branch be threaded. Remember we have a very small amount of space back there do adding a bunch of hoses and clamps is not something that I want to do. and also because of the heat the use of plastics is out of the question.

Now I also thought about the in and out lines from the turbo. These are 3/8" line with an m14 banjo ring that attaches to the turbo. So they are hard lines. To attach to these lines and make it "clean" I would have to use a 3/8" compression T and cut the lines. This can be done as well but my question is would it differ from connecting to the second set of in and out ports on the turbo?, This would be the cleanest way to go about connecting it.

I have to look at my original turbo again but I am pretty sure that the coolant lines were hooked up incorrectly from the factory. And as such I have them hooked up incorrectly to my new turbo.

According to BorgWarner who makes both turbos the cold coolant is supposed to enter the bottom of the center section and exit the top section. The lower radiator hose is where the hot coolant enters the radiator and the upper hose is the cool coolant. The nipple that feeds the turbo on the intake side of the engine is right next to the upper radiator hose connection. This would be the cool coolant. This line is attached to the top port on the turbo, which would be incorrect.

I can also validate the flow of coolant through the system because the heater core hoses are attached to the thermostat housing on the back of the block where the pipe from the water pump is attached This is where the out connection for the turbo is also attached. But the out is connected to the bottom port on the turbo I am pretty sure.

This is not an ideal setup for convection siphoning when the engine gets turned off. The coolant is not going to move and not help cool the turbo when the vehicle is turned off, This is going to cause the life of the turbo to be shortened. I am almost 100% sure they are connected to the wrong ports from the factory.

If someone knows for sure the direction the coolant flows through the system and would let me know this would help me out. If someone that owns a 2.0 can check their turbo and see where the lines are connected and let me know it would help me out as well. I will check in a few minutes to see what ports do not have plugs in them on my OE turbo.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:20:32 PM »
OK never mind with that last post. I had some kind of a brain fart or something. The coolant system is cold out the bottom of the radiator. for some dumb reason I was thinking the other way around. I knew it was hot in the top and cold out the bottom. So the turbo was hooked up correctly, and my new one is as well.

I should be able to attach to the ports on the turbo without an issue. Even if there is not enough pressure to push the coolant through the line if the coolant gets hot inside of the wastegate the coolant will rise due to convection and this would cause a suction on the cold line pulling colder fluid into it. It only needs a trickle in order to do it's job.