Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Why arent more Kappas raced? Would this be afeasible platform for time attack?  (Read 2419 times)

Offline D K

• Apprentice/Gofer
Sorry if this is in the wrong section....

Im just curious why more of these arent raced? Specially in more ‘all out’ classes..?

On paper this chassis looks great: reasonably light weight, can fit a big tire, enough room for an LS, proper double A arm suspension...?

What are the limiting factors?
Why arent more of these racing?

Im looking to build another time attack car and my research has lead me here.  Does anyone here have road race experience with these cars?

If so, would a base model be a good place to start?

Thanks in advance...

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
D K  We have some with L S 3  and BIGGER There is a Solstice with a Pontiac V8  455 with Carb . Just check out some of the thing that can be done with this platform

Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Why aren't more Kappas converted into racecars?

Weight, and scarcity.

Compare a Kappa to a 2002 LS1 Camaro.
Camaro
3446ish lbs
"305" hp. (We all know stock LS1s were under rated, and that few are stock by now.)
LS V8 with incredible aftermarket support
Excellent full-scale aftermarket chassis components

Kappa
3080-ish lbs for a LNF car
"260" HP (Ok, 300+ with a tune)
Limited engine support
Limited chassis support

I realize a roadster vs. a muscle car is apples to oranges, but it'd cost less money in the long run to convert the Camaro into a handling car, IMO.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Too many GM haters unless it's a vette or camaro
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!

And too much if it ain't a V8 it ain't great.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
And too much if it ain't a V8 it ain't great.

I think you're both wrong, and are missing my point. You'd have to love something specific about the Kappa platform to want to race it, as there are other platforms that are better for the money if you're looking into a racecar.

Plenty of love for engines that aren't V8's out in the racing world. Look at the great straight six/V6 options out there, and there are plenty of 4-cylinders that make great little engines too. So I'll ignore the snide remarks and make my point.

I recently acquired a '98 V6 mustang. Weights ~3000 lbs, so on par with a Kappa. I intend to drive it as-is till something major dies, then LS swap it. As you could totally LS swap a Kappa, for the sake of this argument we'll assume the Kappa and Mustang weight the same, and have the same engine/power. (Just a simple NA build, no FI/Nitrous)

Let's say you now want to upgrade the shocks.
Bolt-on options for the Mustang:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/chassis-suspension/part-type/shocks-and-struts/year/1998/make/ford/model/mustang

Bolt-on options for the Kappa:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/2009/make/pontiac/model/solstice/department/chassis-suspension?N=department%3Achassis-suspension%2Bpart-type%3Ashocks-and-struts

Of course, you can make anything work if you want to. However, again because of the volume of Mustang's out there whatever you do there will be more aftermarket support.

Time for a roll bar!
Mustang:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1998/make/ford/model/mustang/department/safety-equipment/section/roll-cages/part-type/roll-bars-competition?fr=part-type
NOTE: I STRONGLY ADVOCATE HAVING A CERTIFIED WELDER BUILD YOUR CAGE.

Kappa:
In my 5 minutes of poking around, I didn't find a kit. Now you have to pay someone to fabricate AND weld it up for you. And the roof won't fit, but this is a racecar so I don't see that being an issue. (Just means more safety gear is required to run it roofless.)

Same as the suspension argument, more production/popularity means more aftermarket support. It's not V8 vs. 4 cyl, it's what's out there and what can be done easily? If you love the Kappa platform, by all means go with that. Steelmesh has, and his build is nuts. Would just anybody do what he's done? Not if there isn't something they just intrinsically love about the platform.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
My comment was based on nearly 14 yrs of observation and not a personal dig.  If you took it that way, well that's on you and not something I can control.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
My comment was based on nearly 14 yrs of observation and not a personal dig.  If you took it that way, well that's on you and not something I can control.

I didn't think you meant it that way, but I did dump my Kappa for a V8 pickup, after all.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Can't deny kappa isn't good for for bolt-on and go racing to compete with other cars on the same bolt-on budget. Then there is that level of racing where the owner has an near unlimited budget and designs and fabricates custom nearly everything from scratch.  And there is someone like that guy with the VW rabbit annihilating everyone in NWORSCCA, then again Alex has that Solstice who can hang with him.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:21:33 PM by Steelmesh »
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.