Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: No more Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires???  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
No more Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires???
« on: March 31, 2021, 08:52:44 AM »
Need new tires and of courser the successor to the Pilot Super Sport is the Pilot Sport 4S. Tried to order a set yesterday but was told that there were only 3 in the entire country. They suggested that I think about another tire.

Called Michelin when I got home and they agreed with the dealer that there are none and none scheduled for production in the future. Call back after the 18th of April I was told but there are a few sizes for that tire that have WAY more demand and they didn't like my chances... They said that size isn't very popular.  :gaah:

Decided to order a set of the Continental Extreme Contact Sport tire. They get great reviews and truth be told, I I don't push the tires to their limits most times anyway. Wet weather performance IS important though and these tires shine in wet conditions. After hydroplaning at speed and putting the car sideways with the original tires many years ago good performance on wet roads is extremely important to me.

Hoping that the dealer can find 4 of the Continentals.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: No more Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:23:31 AM »
Those same Continentals are what I run on the Camaro. Good tire, decent grip, less grip in the cold but not enough to be unsafe unless you drive like an ass.

That being said, wear in cold weather happens at a much greater rate. I get measurable rear tire wear anytime the temps are under 40 and I do a pull...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 12:33:57 PM »
We are down to 8 tires that are ultra high perf summers:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=V7H1T3&width=245/&ratio=45&diameter=18&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

I'd favour the BFG but the Kumho and Dunlops have received good reviews.

Only other option is to investigate a slightly different size (which would throw out your speedo.

Don't know if the available Michelin PSS in a 265x40x18 would clear everything, but it would only throw the speedo off by 1.5%  It would be 0.4" lower and 0.8" wider.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline cammerjeff

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 01:59:18 PM »
I just had a set of the PS4 S's ordered from Tire Rack installed on my coupe a couple of weeks ago, I may have just got lucky
2006 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2 manual Trans, 2009 N/A Coupe #663, manual Trans

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 03:13:26 PM »
I just had a set of the PS4 S's ordered from Tire Rack installed on my coupe a couple of weeks ago, I may have just got lucky

Yeah you might have been. It's unfortunate that the 245/45-18 is so uncommon but the Continental should perform well and I CERTAINLY won't be running it in the cold. TireRack rates them right up with the Michelins so I'm hoping for the best.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

Hopefully Michelin builds some Pilot Sport 4Ss for us in the future.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:37:24 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline phantomjock

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 12:12:26 PM »
I'm looking at the Kumho ECSTA V730 as maybe a better alternative - for my use in Track Days, AX, and occasional DD. 

Almost 100 bucks cheaper - but I'd have to go to 255/35/18. 
I don't think that would be drama - fit inside wheel wells, and give a 3/4" drop in ride height. 
Add some lowering springs (with bump stop) and care on driveway entry. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

My thoughts.  What say you?

Yes - reply to old post - but thinking they might be here... Hope so!

Cheers - Jim
Speed is Life!  I feel the need...

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 06:38:29 PM »
I previously had the Continental Extreme Contact Sport tire and am currently running these on my Alfa Romeo. 
[Different Size than the Kappa obviously]

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+RS&cameFrom=selectOE&partnum=445YR8GMRSXL

I am approaching 2 years on them now and really like them.  They have been pushed hard on the streets and done everything I have asked them to do.   Did a car rally with 16 other 4Cs out of state a couple of months ago and we really tore up the streets. 

I highly recommend them.