Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Repairing butterfly flaps on Sky  (Read 1499 times)

Offline KEP3

• Apprentice/Gofer
Repairing butterfly flaps on Sky
« on: October 13, 2022, 02:30:54 PM »
On my 2008 Redline, the actuator cables on both butterfly flaps no longer function. I have to physically lift the flaps to close the roof (great design, GM).
On the driver side, the metal clip that attaches to flap has come off and the flap has come off the pivot pins.
So, has anyone had to repair these great moments in design history? Is it a DIY job or is it better to find a shop to do it?

Offline KEP3

• Apprentice/Gofer
Re: Repairing butterfly flaps on Sky
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 05:47:16 PM »
Bump

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 07:51:50 PM »
I?m surprised by the lack of response here. I?m pretty sure we have broken and fixed every item on these silly cars?
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 10:15:04 PM »
I thought there was a thread about fixing these on the forum before.  Can't say I have looked at these parts to even know how they work.  Maybe post some picks and we can figure it out.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline rob the elder

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 09:40:21 AM »
They can be repaired
I have a pictures in the Punisher thread where I bought several tulip panels for the parts.  I flipped one over and have pictures of the hinges and all the parts.   In fact, in one of the posts I used a heat gun to activate the adhesive for the flap hinge structure - which is glued to the bottom of the tulip panel - and removed it.  It is possible to swap out the entire hinge assembly if yours is damaged badly.

We now have a 3d printer who will print hinge pins and the actuation arm in nylon that work very well.  Chickenwire has printed the other side small metal clip with the D hole in it.  We also found an online source for hinge springs and some hinge parts.

The cables should still be available.  If you cant find the info let me know and I will look up the part number for you.

I have three tulip panels I used for parts in the parts bin if you need a mount.  The parts are identical for Sky and Solstice even though the tulip panels are not interchangable.

If you need flaps, there is a guy on FB and active on the Sol forum that is selling pretty good replacements for something like $100 each.  They are fiberglass and come painted and the one I bought as a test is 95% good.  Good enough for most people

If you want more info, let me know.  I am on Sol forum several times a day.

a fews pointers
https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/punisher.65168/page-129#post-1884097

https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/punisher.65168/page-130#post-1887817

https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/punisher.65168/page-136#post-1972985

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 01:46:25 AM »
They can be repaired
I have a pictures in the Punisher thread where I bought several tulip panels for the parts.  I flipped one over and have pictures of the hinges and all the parts.   In fact, in one of the posts I used a heat gun to activate the adhesive for the flap hinge structure - which is glued to the bottom of the tulip panel - and removed it.  It is possible to swap out the entire hinge assembly if yours is damaged badly.

We now have a 3d printer who will print hinge pins and the actuation arm in nylon that work very well.  Chickenwire has printed the other side small metal clip with the D hole in it.  We also found an online source for hinge springs and some hinge parts.

The cables should still be available.  If you cant find the info let me know and I will look up the part number for you.

I have three tulip panels I used for parts in the parts bin if you need a mount.  The parts are identical for Sky and Solstice even though the tulip panels are not interchangable.

If you need flaps, there is a guy on FB and active on the Sol forum that is selling pretty good replacements for something like $100 each.  They are fiberglass and come painted and the one I bought as a test is 95% good.  Good enough for most people

If you want more info, let me know.  I am on Sol forum several times a day.

a fews pointers
https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/punisher.65168/page-129#post-1884097

https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/punisher.65168/page-130#post-1887817

https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/punisher.65168/page-136#post-1972985

WOW!!!!  It has been some time since you have been on KPF!  Welcome back!  It's like a ghost of Christmas past has visited ;)

Make the right choices now

Offline rob the elder

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 10:44:45 AM »
LOL
Been kind of busy.  But thanks for the welcome.
I try to come back at least weekly when I can

Offline Perry

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 09:04:49 PM »
Both cables were broke on my Solstice. Went to hardware store and purchased 4 foot of stainless steel cable and attched electrical ring terminals to ends. Works as good as original for $4.00. Eliminated the plastic clips at top. It is a much cleaner fit than stock.

Offline rob the elder

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 03:31:33 PM »
That is a great solution.  If you need hinge pins or actuating arms or even replacement flaps they are available

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 10:08:57 PM »
Both cables were broke on my Solstice. Went to hardware store and purchased 4 foot of stainless steel cable and attched electrical ring terminals to ends. Works as good as original for $4.00. Eliminated the plastic clips at top. It is a much cleaner fit than stock.
Great job

Offline KEP3

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 09:56:14 PM »
I've been a bit preoccupied with some minor inconveniences so this is the first chance I've had to reply. I like DeepBlueGXP's solution. I know the clips on the flaps themselves are the same ones GM used on the Siverado/C10 pickup tailgate latches.
Now the big questions. First, where on earth does the other end of the cable get attached? It as obvious as knowing a politician is lying because he's talking. I can't see where the other ends attach. Second, is there a trick to getting the flap to reattach to the pivot pin? The metal clip came off the flap and I haven't been able to get the flap back on the pivot pin with the clip attached. :idk: