Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Flutter sound when accelerating under boost  (Read 1112 times)

Offline carcar123454321

• Apprentice/Gofer
Flutter sound when accelerating under boost
« on: June 28, 2023, 01:01:56 PM »
I'm cross posting from another forum, but wanted some feedback.

It's a faint sound so you have to listen hard. Note it's not the blow off valve flutter while decelerating/lifting throttle...I'm accelerating ;-). It starts around 12 psi and continues up from there.

• I just put on a new timing chain and balance chain and all related parts about 9 months ago so I sure hope that's not it.
  • I checked the turbo wheel about 9 months ago too and no play, but may check again to make sure.
  • I'm thinking of seeing if I can get some cheap dyno time (like 5 minutes) to just listen to the noise standing beside the car if possible. I wish I could identify roughly where the sound is.
  • Just got a great deal on a turbo, blow off valve, and wastegate actuator so may just throw all that on. Would rather identify the issue first though.
  • I'm going to log the car and send to my tuner...at least rule out something tune related. I'm also going to slap the stock tune back on but I doubt that has anything to do with it.
It's just a little annoying as I just got the car all back in tip top and it was running so well and pulling incredibly. I feel like I'm back in my Subaru days, having to fix something every 3 months ;-0

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Flutter sound when accelerating under boost
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 01:14:18 PM »
Does it continue to build boost or does it just plateau?

Stock intercooler, hoses, and clamps?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 03:18:45 PM »
Is is the BOV just regulating the pressure? Still odd that you can hear it when you couldn't before, maybe it's a sign its on the way out?
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline carcar123454321

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 11:40:51 AM »
Thanks all:

• It continues to build boost to 21-22 psi, even with the flutter, but the power definitely seems a little less (like maybe 80% of what it was when first tuned)
  • Aftermarket RPM motorsports IC with T-clamps, DDM silicone hoses (connectors and throttle body)
  • I am wondering about BOV, WG actuator, WG solenoid, etc.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 01:14:17 PM »
It could be a weak spring on the BOV allowing it to unseat or the valve itself could have an issue.

2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline carcar123454321

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 06:12:45 PM »
I think I'll try the spring first.  Can I just "stretch" it to see if that helps first?

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 06:29:46 PM »
Does it sound kinda like a faint pinging or metal taping noise?  Mine did that under acceleration and it was the chain hitting the guide that is between the overhead cams, it's supposed to have a polyurethane bracket attached to it to dampen the noise and prevent chain lash

highlighted item on drawing, the top #19 item
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 06:37:05 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline carcar123454321

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 07:58:00 PM »
Thanks all.

I just replaced the timing and balance chains and all guides so hopefully that's not it!  That was quite an undertaking for me ;-)

I have a new turbo with a new BOV so I think I'll try swapping the parts on that to see if that helps.  It's a bit hard to reach the WG actuator and take that all off and I need to order a WG solenoid, but eventually I hope to replace the whole turbo and all associated components (BOV, WG actuator, WG solenoid, hoses, clamps).

Offline carcar123454321

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 09:06:21 AM »
I forgot to follow up on this, but it turned out that the fluttering sound was the exhaust manifold / gasket.  I guess the LNF exhaust manifold nuts are known to loosen up and mine were quite loose.  I was able to tighten all of them as I can get my manifold cover off (it's trimmed) using various sockets, extensions, universal joints, etc.   Once tight, there was zero flutter. 

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 09:07:24 AM »
Glad you found and fixed it.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia