Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Oil stains on concrete pavers solved... FINALLY!  (Read 126 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Oil stains on concrete pavers solved... FINALLY!
« on: March 26, 2024, 11:30:29 AM »
I had a driveway with concrete pavers put in like 25 or so years ago and most times it looks great, until I inadvertently get an oll stain on it. Typically I go at it with Dawn dish soak and a brush and then 99 percent isopropyl alcohol. It gets a lot of it but it can take a month or two for the what remains to fade away. Oven cleaner works as well but not as well as what I tried yesterday.

Brake clean is the go to solvent in the future when I get oil stains. I was in the basement yesterday looking for something to try on a stubborn stain and I figured I'd give it a shot.

OMG, spray it on to a puddle, let it set for 10 seconds or so and wipe it off with an old rag. I can't believe it took me so long to try this.

I also can't believe I've waited this many years to reseal the driveway, lets just say it's been a while... :roll:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:53:08 AM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Oil stains on concrete pavers solved... FINALLY!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 01:21:54 PM »
Make sure you get the chlorinated brake cleaner, the non-chlorinated doesn't work as well.

For oil stains I have also use paint thinner and sand or oil absorb (kitty litter).  Put some of the absorbent material around the oil stain then pour the thinner on the oil.  The oil gets lifted off the surface and you can then push the absorbent material in to the oil thinner mix the oil gets trapped in that and you can then sweep it up.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 04:34:28 PM »
It was actually the non-chlorinated brake clean that I used. I'll be looking for the chlorinated stuff next time, if they still have that here...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 07:20:42 AM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 07:23:05 AM »
As it turns out they do still have the chlorinated brake clean in Canada. I ordered a couple of cans last night and they should be here tomorrow. The non-chlorinated stuff worked really well, should be interesting to see what the chlorinated stuff does.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 04:01:34 PM »
Thanks, never thought to use that

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 05:12:04 PM »
Thanks, never thought to use that
LOL, neither had I for many more years than I want to admit.  :(