Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DDM Backbone, what fun is that?  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
DDM Backbone, what fun is that?
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »
It's a beautiful day today in southern Ontario and I thought it was a good day to take the cover off the car, hook up the battery and give her a good run.

She started right up after sitting for the winter with the battery disconnected. Turned over for maybe 5 seconds before she fired. Then I had to take her for a run.  :drool:

A month ago I installed my tunnel brace. I have the 1/4" version that DDM calls the "Street Version". I haven't had the chance to take her out before today as I was waiting for the roads to clear up but all I can say is I'm going to have to find another dance partner.

Coming out of a turn under hard acceleration before I installed the brace she used be undecided as to what direction she wanted to go. With the brace she is compliant and she goes exactly where you point her. No more dancing. What fun is that!  :D

I would HIGHLY recommend DDMs Backbone and for the price they are charging it's a steal when you factor in the improvement in handling. I may have made my own but for those that don't have the means or the time to do that, go buy one.

You won't regret it.  :award:

http://www.ddmworks.com/solstice/suspension/backbone_brace.htm

Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline anorth45503

• Tech
Re: DDM Backbone, what fun is that?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:02:51 AM »
Thanks Sly its my next mod. I just put on the Eibach pro springs and it feels a lot stiffer around turns cant wait to add the back bone.

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »
Saved my tail the other day when I really stomped the car  :drag:. If I didn't have the backbone and probeam I would have slid right into the car next to me and would have been  :cryin:. As it was the car did exactly what was said earlier in this thread, went right where I pointed it. Thanks to the guys at DDM I didn't have to put it in the body shop.  :thumbs:

lil goat

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »
Saved my tail the other day when I really stomped the car  :drag:. If I didn't have the backbone and probeam I would have slid right into the car next to me and would have been  :cryin:. As it was the car did exactly what was said earlier in this thread, went right where I pointed it. Thanks to the guys at DDM I didn't have to put it in the body shop.  :thumbs:

Been there done that, came over a hill the other day, at EXTREME speed, truck was coming at me in MY LANE, took it to the edge of the pavement stayed on the road and brought it back, never would have been able to do that without the backbone, would most likely have been upside down.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:15:42 PM »
Been there done that, came over a hill the other day, at EXTREME speed, truck was coming at me in MY LANE, took it to the edge of the pavement stayed on the road and brought it back, never would have been able to do that without the backbone, would most likely have been upside down.

Well...just take it easy on the extreme speed there....wouldnt want anything happening.
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »
Read on the Sky forum where G8TR went over a 3 foot hill of dirt with both right wheels after being run off the road. He attributes the backbones stiffness to keeping the car from twisting the frame, as it took a pretty hard hit. Sounds plausible to me. Sure am glad I have one on my vehicle too.  :drive:

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 04:40:05 PM »
Read on the Sky forum where G8TR went over a 3 foot hill of dirt with both right wheels after being run off the road. He attributes the backbones stiffness to keeping the car from twisting the frame, as it took a pretty hard hit. Sounds plausible to me. Sure am glad I have one on my vehicle too.  :drive:

3 foot hill !?
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
Yeah, there's some pictures posted on Skyroadster under http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f18/bite-out-g8tr-30198/ where he hit a small hill of dirt that was construction debris. The pictures suggest that the car actually launched, though hard to see. Good thing he went that way instead of straight, would have plunged into a culvert.  :banghead: