Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Wester's GMPP Tuning begins  (Read 61574 times)

Offline Wester's Garage

• Vendor
  • Apprentice/Gofer
    • Wester's Garage
Wester's GMPP Tuning begins
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:29:58 PM »
Hey guys....just got my sensors in and GMPP tune installed. Found a dealer that would cooperate, and we did everything at our shop instead of having to take everything off the dyno.

Made 260/220 (with 9 degrees of KR) at the wheels in its stock GMPP tune form. This was with the Dejon intake/intercooler and Solo Race Exhaust. Any CAI will require retuning...haven't seen one yet that doesn't.
Essentially, this is 25HP and 60ft/lbs over stock, which isnt bad at all (stock graphs on our website). Two runs on the dyno gave us the same jagged and problematic numbers during the run--just way too lean, big dips in the graph after peak torque.

If you do not have your tune adjusted for add-on parts, it definitely won't work well. We'd already made more than 305 ft/lbs with the original setup and stock sensors, so at any rate--this is where we're at.

I had time to make one small adjustment to get back to the same numbers we had originally (305/245), and had to get my car off the dyno again so we could get some other work done. I'll be back on our dyno again tomorrow with some fresh 91 octane, and time for serious changes.

At present, with the initial tune adjustment, I saw boost hit 28 PSI (195kpa), and rock steady at 25 PSI (175 kpa) at WOT in 5th. I was over 220km/hr in seconds--and then limped the car. This base GMPP tune has definitely got potential...I was led to believe the stock turbo was the problem--I can confirm now that it's not...the hidden secrets are in the software. :thumbs:

Stay tuned...good things coming.

Offline Filipp

• Master Tech
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:58:31 PM »
Hey guys....just got my sensors in and GMPP tune installed. Found a dealer that would cooperate, and we did everything at our shop instead of having to take everything off the dyno.

Made 260/220 (with 9 degrees of KR) at the wheels in its stock GMPP tune form. This was with the Dejon intake/intercooler and Solo Race Exhaust. Any CAI will require retuning...haven't seen one yet that doesn't.
Essentially, this is 25HP and 60ft/lbs over stock, which isnt bad at all (stock graphs on our website). Two runs on the dyno gave us the same jagged and problematic numbers during the run--just way too lean, big dips in the graph after peak torque.

If you do not have your tune adjusted for add-on parts, it definitely won't work well. We'd already made more than 305 ft/lbs with the original setup and stock sensors, so at any rate--this is where we're at.

I had time to make one small adjustment to get back to the same numbers we had originally (305/245), and had to get my car off the dyno again so we could get some other work done. I'll be back on our dyno again tomorrow with some fresh 91 octane, and time for serious changes.

At present, with the initial tune adjustment, I saw boost hit 28 PSI (195kpa), and rock steady at 25 PSI (175 kpa) at WOT in 5th. I was over 220km/hr in seconds--and then limped the car. This base GMPP tune has definitely got potential...I was led to believe the stock turbo was the problem--I can confirm now that it's not...the hidden secrets are in the software. :thumbs:

Stay tuned...good things coming.

Dam looks like I am going to have to purchase a Wester's tune after my GMPP tune gets installed.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:48:45 AM »
It's only $$$$$$$$$$. Well worth it, if it makes you  :) :brnout: :drag: :drive: :drool:
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:55:48 AM »
I got a new tune for ChuckDoc's car after Lyndon tested his car on the Dyno, I also sent some scans from the first tune test.   

lil goat

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:20:11 AM »
Wow will will have to start calling Chuck Sky Pilot and he will be flying.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
Lindon, you just have to make the turbo boys faster and faster, can't give us S/C guys any love :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

lil goat

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »
Lyndon made the very first Super Charged Solstice way back in early 2006 (January I think) he used the stock injectors and I believe meth injection instead of an intercooler, he loved you guys once.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »
Hey it is hard to run with the big boys, and here I though I might have a slight advantage until the snow melted in the north.  Not to be I guess.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Wester's GMPP Tuning begins
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »
Too bad Critterman, maybe there is a Stage IV in the works :lol:

Offline Frank I

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
Too bad Critterman, maybe there is a Stage IV in the works :lol:

DeepBlueGXP:

Unfortunately as the old saying goes, "you may have the fastest car on the block, but there is always someone out there faster"!!!!   :banghead:

Frank I
Frank I

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »
Great news!  Can't wait until you really start to uncork the potential!  It's tempting to just pick up a pair of those sensors for myself before I leave here. 

Anyone ever find another source for them?

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »
I just got off the phone with Lyndon. He is as happy as a 5 year old on Christmas morning. He is going to retest the GMPP tune with stock sensors to see if the magic is in the code or the code AND sensors. Lyndon has not been off base with me yet, so I will do as he says and order the tune package then wait for him to say to install it.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

lil goat

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
If Lyndon is excited about something, there is attention to be paid. He did the first tune on my car and had never seen a GXP (do you get the impression I trust him), then Brendland took his in to be tuned, Lyndon tuned it and drove it, it's an auto. Next thing I know Lyndon has a GXP, and as they say "the rest is history"

"Objects in mirror will soon disappear"

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:43:24 PM »
If he finds that its just in the coding, does that mean we would not even have to buy the GM tune, and he could just make the changes normally?
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline BeachParty

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Custom Fuse Box Covers
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
If he finds that its just in the coding, does that mean we would not even have to buy the GM tune, and he could just make the changes normally?

That would be some OUTSTANDING news!! This is so exciting.
Either way, good things are getting even better. Thanks Lyndon!
2007 Sly Solstice GXP – with a super cool Fuse Box Cover

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »
Lyndon is the man...hands down.  There is no other tuner like him for our platform in my opinion.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

lil goat

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »
I just got an email from Lyndon, don't go buying the GMPP just yet. He is in the lab and things are cooking, he does highly reccomend if you can get away with it to ditch your cat.

By the way Spike there is no tuner like him on any platform, the Corvette guys love him more than we do.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:25:29 PM by lil goat »

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »
At present, with the initial tune adjustment, I saw boost hit 28 PSI (195kpa), and rock steady at 25 PSI (175 kpa) at WOT in 5th. I was over 220km/hr in seconds--and then limped the car. This base GMPP tune has definitely got potential...I was led to believe the stock turbo was the problem--I can confirm now that it's not...the hidden secrets are in the software.
I am a little confuse about his last statement, so then a stock turbo with an upgraded wheel would be 30+ psi?????
My other question is whom or why was he led to believe the stock turbo was the problem. Could you elaborate on this topic a bit more please, thank you
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:02:27 PM by LatinVenom »
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
I just got an email from Lyndon, don't go buying the GMPP just yet. He is in the lab and things are cooking, he does highly reccomend if you can get away with it to ditch your cat.

By the way Spike there is no tuner like him on any platform, the Corvette guys love him more than we do.

OOPS. He told me to oder it so I did.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

lil goat

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
He told me to wait so I can test some stuff, but he says he maybe able to import some stuff over from the GMPP. I think the 3.0 Bar TMAPS are going to be required to see over 25 psi, just my opinion.

I am a little confuse about his last statement, so then a stock turbo with an upgraded wheel would be 30+ psi?????

LV no that does not mean that at all, first off he got a CEL and the engine went into limp mode, second boost is still and on demand kind of thing, it will only make as much boost as it needs to meet demand (your foot on pedal) it takes less boost from a bigger turbo to meet demand, so your boost would likely be lower not higher in order to push the same amount of air. Think of it this way a turbo is just an air pump with a regulator on it, bigger pump doesn't work as hard to pump the same amount of air.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 02:05:33 PM »
I thought the 255 kpa limit was the problem but that equates to 36psi. Also our TMAP sensors are really 2.7 and should be able to handle it.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »
Lil goat I understand that about the bigger wheel, but it does have the potential of producing higher psi, isn't this correct.
If I remember correctly the BTF upgraded wheel can produce 43lbs/pm to 46lbs/pm vs. the 36lbs/pm from the stock turbo wheel.
I can certainly tell you from experience with my car, I do not have to press the accelerator pedal to hard to get to 23psi, I am usually there just about half way on the pedal.
My Orlando tune was capped at 23psi or that is what Dave told me.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:13:21 PM by LatinVenom »
Solstice GXP 2007.

lil goat

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »
The Bosch ECM is a torque managemnt system by design once it see's the appropriate torque it will not continue to increase boost, you also have the limitations of the fuel, it will pull boost to prevent knock. Lots of variables come into play, what should happen in theory is rarely what happens in reality. I am sure the bigger wheel is capable of some huge numbers but, a lot of things have to fall into place. It will make boost faster as it is not working as hard to do it, will it make more boost, may not need to is what I am saying, you can only push so much air though the engine before it chokes, this is controlled by the MAP, and MAF and the ECM, you might be able to make me 100 pancakes but if I can only eat 25, that's all I can eat.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
Lil goat I understand that about the bigger wheel, but it does have the potential of producing higher psi, isn't this correct.
If I remember correctly the BTF upgraded wheel can produce 43lbs/pm to 46lbs/pm vs. the 36lbs/pm from the stock turbo wheel.
I can certainly tell you from experience with my car, I do not have to press the accelerator pedal to hard to get to 23psi, I am usually there just about half way on the pedal.
My Orlando tune was capped at 23psi or that is what Dave told me.

I push my accelerator just the same as you and get 23-25psi really quick.
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »
Wow! I knew there was a reason that I had an extra ecu. Can't wait to see how all of this works out. If we can go up without the GMPP tune I will be getting Lyndon to tune my spare.  :drool: