Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DIY Door entry lights  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
DIY Door entry lights
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:11:56 PM »
So like I said I had some free time.

While I was looking for my Dremel tool for the door pull mod, I ran accross an old set of LED step lights I had purchased or my last car but never used  :yay:.  Figured now that the lambo's are on they would look great under the door trim.

The lights:

No need to completely remove the door panel.  Just these two bolts, the one at the top rear of the panel and pop it loose around the bottom and back of door.

This shot also shows plotting placement.

Drill the 7/8" holes and mount lights in place with the back nuts.

Splice into electrical.  I have mine tacked on to my illuminated speakers.

Test and reassemble.

Splicing from the map lights is probably the way most would go.
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline jonymac

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: DIY Door entry lights
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »
Sweet.
Performance Mods
- Wester’s Race Tune
- RPI Stage 2 IC and Dejon Piping
- RPI GT Exhaust and Catless Race DP
- Fujita CAI
- Saturn Motorsports Big Bore TB
- Dejon Intake TB Elbow
- Sprintbooster
- DDM Race Backbone & ProBeam
- Z0K Rear End

Other Mods
- Painted engine cover, calipers, caliper decals
- Demoneyes
- Seq Turn Signals, Pulsing 3rd Brake Light, Side Marker Mod, Auto on Fogs
- Custom Tempered Glass Windscreen
- Rain Sensing Wipers
- JPM Doorpads, Beltloops, Console, Shroud, Handles
- Flash2Pass
- Sound Deadener
- Kenwood Excelon DNX996XR, Infinity speakers, amp

DarkSlySol

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »
I like it!!! I think imma attempt this myself...Dont know if imma got with blue or red lights. What did you connect the wire to? Did u do it to the map lights, so that when you open the door they come on?

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »
I like it!!! I think imma attempt this myself...Dont know if imma got with blue or red lights. What did you connect the wire to? Did u do it to the map lights, so that when you open the door they come on?

No, I have them spliced to my illuminated speakers which are on a switch under the dash.  I may change them to the map line though if I get bored one day.
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
Cool mod, Gunny!  So let's see pics of the light pattern with the doors open at night...   :award:

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »
I've been taking care of some family matters back in Oregon til last night but I do have a couple I can post out here shortly of night shots.  Need to get caught up at the office first.  Only bad part about being away for so long.

Offline Yamatr3

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »
I like this mod Gunny.  I think I'm going to do it when the lighted door sills are done.

DarkSlySol

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:48:59 PM »
I did mines today but there is one problem! I can't figure out how to get he power to the lights to go off. I connected it to the map lights but thats a constant power source regardless if the lights are on or not. I tried to do it to the dimming wire but it doesnt work. I can't figure out anyway to get them to cut off with the map lights or when the door is closed. Anyone have any suggestion?!?!?!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »
Run the wires into the fuse panel and hook them up to the same place as the footwell lighting.

http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=1611.0
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:48:59 PM by DeepBlueGXP »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 07:19:09 PM »
Ok, Here are the night shots.  Taken with my cell phone so they are a bit grainy.  I didn't have the hood up but you can see the engine bay lights through my Norms Fender in the second shot which was really the purpose of them anyway.  Looks good DarkSS, The linkSly Bob posted is what you need.

DarkSlySol

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:43:56 PM »
I dont know what im doing wrong cause it didnt work. I installed teh mini circuit thing and it give the light power but still they dont turn off. I even waited 30 mins and still the lights were wrong. I tried using different size fuses and still the same result, can you guys tell me what im doin wrong........NICE JoB Gunny, looks awesome, im hatin' lol :-P

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:50:15 PM »
Make sure that you have them hooked up to the foot well lighting circuit.

Your not opening the door to check to see if the lights are still on are you?  Kind of like trying to see if the light in the fridge goes off when the door is closed.   :poke:
2007 Aggressive GXP

DarkSlySol

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
Make sure that you have them hooked up to the foot well lighting circuit.

Your not opening the door to check to see if the lights are still on are you?  Kind of like trying to see if the light in the fridge goes off when the door is closed.   :poke:

LOL  no im not opening the door to see if there still on, i can see them thru the window. I hooked it up to the maplight fues which im assuming is the same thing. But does it matter that I grounded the the lights to one of the door screws? What size fuse should I put in?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
I believe that the map lights get power all the time, you can manually turn the lights under the rear view mirror on or off at any time.  The foot well lights are on a switch so they come on whenever one of the doors is opened and then have a timer for when they shut off.

It should not matter what you use as a ground as there should be no potential difference from one point in the body to another, ie your door sheet metal should not have a higher resistance then say your engine block.

Your fuse will have no effect on whether or not the lights go off on a timer, unless you have a slow blow fuse and a circuit that has a higher draw then the fuse in which case whenever the lights went out you would have to replace the fuse.  I can't say what the right size fuse will be as I have no idea how much current your lights will pull, too small a fuse and it will blow the fuse, too large a fuse and if there happens to be a short you could toast some wires.  If the latter were to happen you could see if you then meet the membership requirements for the GM Toaster club.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »
But does it matter that I grounded the the lights to one of the door screws?

That is exactly your problem.  The "switching" on and off is in the negative line.  There is always a constant 12v positive to the map light system so by grounding the light to a door screw you are providing a constant ground as well which is keeping the lights on.  The relay that fades the map lights is breaking the ground, not the power.  If you follow the splicing guide p. gadget listed on your bigboard post it should do the trick.  Sly Bobs link to the fuse box link should work also.  Also ensure the lights are "not" themselves grounded in thier mounting points also.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 09:41:14 PM »
That is exactly your problem.  The "switching" on and off is in the negative line.  There is always a constant 12v positive to the map light system so by grounding the light to a door screw you are providing a constant ground as well which is keeping the lights on.  The relay that fades the map lights is breaking the ground, not the power.  If you follow the splicing guide p. gadget listed on your bigboard post it should do the trick.  Sly Bobs link to the fuse box link should work also.  Also ensure the lights are "not" themselves grounded in thier mounting points also.

This would make sense.  Are the foot well lights switched the same way?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 09:58:10 PM »
I believe so and are triggered by the door latch in the door iteslf.  This may be the other option for a good splice point.  I closed the swith manualy witht he doors up to see if they woule trigger the lights and they did.  Just need to get in there and find the line, see if it is hot or not and splice accordingly.

DarkSlySol

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »
Naw still no luck lights are still on even after moving it to the same place sly posted where to.     :(

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »
That's so odd,  I'll try and find some time to mess with mine here in the next few days.

DarkSlySol

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
I got it finally thanx Gunny...i feel like complete dumbass....i was tinkerin' wit the wrong ground wire LOL(ground wire for the mirror blinkers) so thats why they wouldnt turn off hahaha. I figured it out when i opend the door after i pulled the "ground" wire loose and saw the light was still on  lol

:idiot:

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »
Hey, It's happends more than some would admit  :lol:.  Glad you got it figured out  :thumbs:.