Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How To: install footwell lighting  (Read 25972 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: How To: install footwell lighting
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2023, 09:47:51 AM »
The lights in the mirror do always pass a small amount of current - enough to light LEDs dimly (not enough to light the original bulbs, but the current is still there). The fuse is just a protection device, smaller is better, but it won't make any difference to battery drain.

The issue may well be to do with how the wind deflector is wired.  Power should be from an "accessory" source, only on when the car is on.  You obviously have it powered from a battery source (always on).  As such it can fool the battery drain circuit in the car to not turn off the supplies, and so drain your battery.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline johnnyh12

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2023, 04:38:39 PM »
The lights in the mirror do always pass a small amount of current - enough to light LEDs dimly (not enough to light the original bulbs, but the current is still there). The fuse is just a protection device, smaller is better, but it won't make any difference to battery drain.

The issue may well be to do with how the wind deflector is wired.  Power should be from an "accessory" source, only on when the car is on.  You obviously have it powered from a battery source (always on).  As such it can fool the battery drain circuit in the car to not turn off the supplies, and so drain your battery.

The wind deflector is wired to the same wires as the footwell lights, but they are not on all the time.  All three go to fuse 27 and the grey wire.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2023, 06:18:30 PM »
Change your wind deflector 12V power to an accessory supply.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline johnnyh12

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2023, 05:05:06 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why only the red LEDs come back on AFTER 10 minutes have passed since closing my doors, and how I might fix that.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2023, 05:44:02 AM »
I had to install a solid state relay to control the circuit and cut off power.