Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Bailout approved: Automakers to get $17.4B  (Read 2958 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Bailout approved: Automakers to get $17.4B
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »
WASHINGTON – Citing danger to the national economy, President Bush approved an emergency bailout of the U.S. auto industry Friday, offering $17.4 billion in rescue loans in exchange for tough concessions from the deeply troubled carmakers and their workers.

Allowing the massive auto industry to collapse in the middle of what is already a severe recession was not a "responsible course of action."

"It would worsen a weak job market and exacerbate the financial crisis," he said. "It could send our suffering economy into a deeper and longer recession. And it would leave the next president to confront the demise of a major American industry in his first days of office."

Stock prices.....

For more info click here
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081219/ap_on_go_pr_wh/meltdown_autos

Fox News
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/19/report-white-house-auto-industry-low-loans/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:39:28 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Bailout approved: Automakers to get $17.4B
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »
The agreement attached

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
Cheney: White House Offered Auto Loans Because Congress 'Failed' to Act
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:41:02 PM »
Cheney: White House Offered Auto Loans Because Congress 'Failed' to Act

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/19/cheney-white-house-offered-auto-loans-congress-failed-act/

Offline GoingSolo

• Vendor
  • Apprentice/Gofer
    • Solo Performance Mufflers
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:08:13 PM »
Hi. Could someone explain a few things. The root of the problem is people unable or unwilling to buy. Giving the bailout money to the manufacturers will not fast track people to buy. For about the same amount of money the Govt. could give everyone who buys a new GM, Ford or Chrysler a $3000 tax credit valid till the end of 2009. I ask my mufflershop customers if they are interested in buying a new car right now, even with the bailout happening. I get a resounding "No."  I then ask if they would be interested if the Govt. were to give them a $3000 credit towards the purchase. Most say they would at least be interested. Many say they would buy. The root problem is that people need to buy. The bailout doesn't address that. My question is "why does the bailout money have to go the the automakers and not the people who buy?"

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »
"AP study finds $1.6 billion went to bailout bank executives"

Maybe the bank execs can afford a few new cars though they buy Maybachs and Bentleys
.. I'm with you there is no way with the amount of cars sitting on lots across North America that the big three should even manufacture another car till March ..Incentives work but only if the person buying has a disposable income.. Checking Trulia (a multiple listing real estate program) there are currently 28000 foreclosures in Las Vegas..that just Vegas .. figure into that all the other cities across the US ..there are alot of people now with no or bad credit.. are the banks on the edge of solvency going to lend you 30 grand to buy a car. after you stung them with a 330 grand mortgage.. Probably not.. Ford GM and Chrysler are going to have to make unbelievable offers to qualified buyers in the next few months and they are going to have to finance the purchases at prime or sub prime which isn't how the banks got into this mess in the first place..
Bacon :(

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:08:45 PM »
Hi. Could someone explain a few things. The root of the problem is people unable or unwilling to buy. Giving the bailout money to the manufacturers will not fast track people to buy. For about the same amount of money the Govt. could give everyone who buys a new GM, Ford or Chrysler a $3000 tax credit valid till the end of 2009. I ask my mufflershop customers if they are interested in buying a new car right now, even with the bailout happening. I get a resounding "No."  I then ask if they would be interested if the Govt. were to give them a $3000 credit towards the purchase. Most say they would at least be interested. Many say they would buy. The root problem is that people need to buy. The bailout doesn't address that. My question is "why does the bailout money have to go the the automakers and not the people who buy?"

The simple, Readers Digest reason, is that the government doesn't have the money to give $3000 to everyone that buys a car. They could maybe do what they are doing to the automakers and loan them the money. Unlike the general public though, the banks won't lend money to the automakers.

We can't forget that the money is a loan that has to be paid back as was the Chrysler loan was in the 70s. The governments also have taken partial ownership of the automakers. There is a big difference between a loan and what the media likes to call a "Bail Out".
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline GoingSolo

• Vendor
  • Apprentice/Gofer
    • Solo Performance Mufflers
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:13:09 PM »
Thanks. That makes sense. I wasn't thinking of the bailout money being a loan. I thought that once it was given it would be gone. Hopefully that doesn't end up being the case. One way or another there needs to be a way to stimulate buying...