Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Falken Fk 452  (Read 5283 times)

Offline amo

• Master Tech
Falken Fk 452
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
Has any one used these tires before or could give me an opinion on them?  Looking at these and the Sumi HTRZ III (critterman has) or the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT tires.  The Sumis are good I have heard would like to know how the other two handle in dry and mostly in wet also a tread life.

Offline skyguy1984

• Tech
Re: Falken Fk 452
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »
yea i have experience with them, they are decent but for the price the best option on the market right now i think is the nitto invo,

the falken fx-452 is 152$ a piece http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2008&pc=18547&counter=1&ar=45&rd=18&vid=012512&sw=false&cs=245

the nitto invo is  178$ a piece http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2008&pc=18547&counter=1&ar=45&rd=18&vid=012512&sw=false&cs=245

for 26$ a tire you are way further ahead with the nitto invo's as they are one of the best street tires available right now, i have em equipped and love them to pieces, very sticky, and very responsive!

Offline EndiSky

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »
I will let you know about the Falkens tomorrow, just picked up a set to go on the new rims!!!

lil goat

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »
I keep trying to wear out my Goodyears so I can get INVO's, I use the Bridgestone RE-01's in the summer the INVO's are all season and I have heard nothing but good things about them, they are also supposed to be very very quiet and good for hunting wabbit's

Ben L

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:57:17 AM »
yea i have experience with them, they are decent but for the price the best option on the market right now i think is the nitto invo,

the falken fx-452 is 152$ a piece http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2008&pc=18547&counter=1&ar=45&rd=18&vid=012512&sw=false&cs=245

the nitto invo is  178$ a piece http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2008&pc=18547&counter=1&ar=45&rd=18&vid=012512&sw=false&cs=245

for 26$ a tire you are way further ahead with the nitto invo's as they are one of the best street tires available right now, i have em equipped and love them to pieces, very sticky, and very responsive!

I agree that the Nitto Invos are nice street tires, but I think both they and the Falkens probably should be classifed as best value for the money performance street tires rather than the "best" performing street tires available.  Just based on specs. the Nittos get the nod.

Discount Tire assigns both a 300 UTQG treadwear rating, and a traction rating of A.  They both have an A heat rating.  But Nitto's site reveals that the Invo, in the Y speed rating sizes, has a UTQG rating of 220, and in the W speed rating sizes 260. 

The UTQG rating is a measure of tire wear.  The higher the number, the longer the wear, meaning, generally, the harder the tire.  Traction ratings range from AA to C, AA being the stickiest.  An A heat rating means that the tire can handle heat generated by speeds exceeding 85 mph.  Y means that the tire is rated for speeds up to 186 mph, and W 168 mph. 

By way of comparison, street tires in the full out "maximum" performance category, such as the Bridgestone Potenza RE050As, rate at 140 UTQG, AA traction, A heat, W speed, while Kumho Ecsta XSs, rate at 180 UTQG, AA traction, A heat, and W speed.  The Dunlop Star Spec Z1s I am running now rate at 200 UTQG, AA traction, A heat and W speed.  However, you pay a price for this level of performance, because these tires will wear out faster, and they cost more.

Every tire is to some extent a compromise. 

Tire ratings are criticized as too much subject to interpretation by tire manufacturers.  But they do provide a good baseline against which to compare the bewildering array of tires available out there.  Tire selection depends a lot on how your drive and what characteristics are important to you personally.

I am not dogging either the Falkens or the Nittos discussed in the post.  The Nittos in particular deliver some very good performance specs. for the money.  I ran a set of DOT legal R compound Nitto NT01 competition tires on my Cobra roadster as my "street" tires, and I was amazed at how long they lasted.

But my only point was that neither tire is in the full-out maximum performance street tire category.  Nitto's entry in that category is the  NT-05.

lil goat

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:42:23 AM »
 Thanks for the info Ben, Ben wait is there someone on this forum named Ben, are you new? I have my all out performance tires, I am looking for something that is a compromise for winter, but that is just me. I think the Nitto's would make a good tire for year round driving if you didn't swap tires like I do, but also might make a decent winter only tire. I have read they have a soft sidewall but that may not be a big deal with our low profile tires. The Bridgestones have an extremely hard sidewall, at the event in E-Town last year the guys from RMR could not mount them with a small portable tire machine, they had to take them over to the bigger BFG machine.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:06:36 AM »
Goat - TurboSol (Larry) has been running the KDW's on his Hans Stage IV, and loves them.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline amo

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »
How are the Nitto NT05s?  The Nitto INVO are not available in 245/40/19, so I can't put those on the list of potential tires.  I am tempted by the Falkens cause they are only 171 on Discount tire and the Sumis were 183 at tire rack.  Endisky will wait for your review, but not like I am buying right away will need to save after I get the rims, just want to have an informed decision when I get the new tires.

lil goat

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »
The NT05's have had some great early reviews but are a summer only tire.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 01:47:55 AM »
 I just got my new wheels and for now i'm using my goodyears only 5 months old and 4,300 miles have the Nitto's on the PT and thats what I'll put on the Sol
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline EndiSky

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 03:41:39 AM »
OK, I have had the tires for about a week now.  They saved my @$$ in the first 15 mins.  Some dumb chick decided that she was going to make the lane I was in her "suicide lane", I cranked right and the car gripped wonderfully!  I have also noticed that the car does not jerk to the side on freeway cracks like it used to, that used to reallllly get on my nerves.  As for road noise, I couldn't really tell you - RPi exhaust!!!

Offline BLK GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Rollin'
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 09:06:59 AM »
I have these on my Tahoe in the 255/45-zr20 size. They are working great on there, but I don't drive it like I drive the Sol.
Mysterious Lightside GXP. Driving like there's no tomorrow.

Offline amo

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 10:52:05 AM »
BLK GXP how are they in rain, all conditions light to heavy?  The same to Endisky when you drive it in the rain at some point.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 11:32:20 AM »
For an all season tire, I just can't fault the tires that came on my Car.
Last night it was raining and the Goodyear GS-2s held great.
As such, I am keeping them until they wear out and getting dedicated AutoX tires.

At the moment, the GS-2s are also incredibly cheap $98/tire in our stock size.
I will concur there are better dedicated warm weather tires, but these are more than up to the task of spirited driving in good weather and it's nice that your don't have to panic when water starts to fall from the sky. [No pun intended]

Offline BLK GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Rollin'
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »
Rain has not been an issue for me at all with them. They seem to stick great no matter the conditions, though the Tahoe weighs quite a bit more than our cars, and I don't really carve the corners with it too much. They are smooth, quiet, and seem to be wearing well so far.
Mysterious Lightside GXP. Driving like there's no tomorrow.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 05:31:08 PM »
Stockers are fine in rain, not so much in snow. if you need to commute, Sky 88 got a winter setup and loves it, and he's in CT
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »
I got a winter setup as well.

Seems to do fine in the snow
 :woohoo:

Offline amo

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 06:21:20 PM »
My RSA's are horrible in rain.  They only have 19k miles on them with plenty of life left, but they are not even ok in rain.  I have had too many times that they have broke loose and hydro'd under normal driving in rain.  I fear driving in the rain now until i can get new rubber.

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 07:04:49 PM »
Only time I have problem with the stock Goodyear F1s on my RL is when the rain is coming down in torrents, and I'm doing over 80. Otherwise they have done well in Florida. When I need to replace them I will be looking to all of you for advice.

lil goat

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »
I run the stock Goodyears in winter and they were fine until I drove something better, there are MUCH better tires out there many are not really expensive either. I just dropped my car about what seems like a foot, maybe 2/12 inches with the HKS and the Bridgestones I went to a deserted road into a park and really pushed the car, tires never squealed and the car just stuck. I was moving VERY fast in very tight turns on a flat surface, I never thought the car would be able to do what it did, and it was easy. You will be very surprised how much difference good tires make, I know I was.