Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Drag Racing in Romania  (Read 13060 times)

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
Drag Racing in Romania
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:34:58 PM »
Awsome thread Kelu from Romania, Europe.  Your Opel GT is extremely gorgeous and fast.  Your pictures posted were breathtaking.  I loved the videos of your Opel GT beating everyone in sight including the Mustang GT and the Nissan 350Z.  You should be most proud of your Opel GT.
Thanks for the AWSOME thread!!!!!

GXPinKC
Ron
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Drag Racing in Romania
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »
I painted my font grille the plastic plate including the logo and the frame of the fog and turn light from chrome look in black, you can see it on the next picture.

I had BEST RACING WEEKEND. I had to travel about 900 miles from which only 120 on highways because we don't have in this country more than 200 miles of highways  :idiot: to Hungary to a professional drag competition. We call it professional but is not as good as your normal drag strips, they just have the standard time trackers like you.

I traveled with some other friends from my Anonymous car club just to attend what you call it a drag race, for us is like heaven to have cells, times on paper, electronic start/finish, etc.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Saturday was the drag race under the CEDrag (Central European Drag Competition) regulation, we all were amazed about what is supposed to be a "standard" drag race, from our point of view it was PERFECT. First 3-4 runs I was trying to learn again how to take off because the car had the tune installed from the previous drag race and if I was gonna start like before from 4000 - 45000 rpm, I was spinning the wheels all the 1st gear without moving too much because the surface was on an old airstrip and not a drag strip also learned the stop light start. Even I deflate my rear tires down to 18 psi (1.3 bars) and inflate my front to 43 psi (3 bars) I couldn't manage to start more than 3500 rpm. First runs were against our best looking car from the club (only show car) 350Z VeilSide and won everytime:

After I saw I'm pretty good I start challenge other cars, Mitsubishi Colt CZT (over 200hp and only 2 200 pounds) a friend of mine cause we had challenge and won all 4 races and helped him to make his best time 13.9s, Honda S2000 which the driver was weak and I smashed it, and BMW M3 E46 (with a shorter lsd) to which I lost. After that I finally start to understand the time slips and realized that in my group Street S3 (under 2L Turbo or 3800 NA engines with only one traction axle) I have the 2nd qualification time. I couldn't believe I did 13.5 with only Wester Garage Race Tune which was my goal, I went to pyramidal finals, I won everything up to the final race when I met the M3, I launched better but on the 3rd and 4th gear I lost like a car length. And went and get 2nd place, fist time in my life on a podium even I'm going to drag races for 2 years:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Next day we moved in my country Romania where was another event with same circumstances (same timing, same staff, etc). It was a huge event, about 8 000 spectators, over 200 cars from 10 seconds, one demo dragster everything was looking great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9JCGtc12r8 A presentation video of the event.
I won in qualification against a performance Honda S2000 (wining his street group with 13.8), Mercedez SLK350 (306hp), Golf GTI, BMW Z4 and some others, same BMW M3 E46 from previous day was there too with best time at the group and I was doing 2nd time again but with only 13.7 this time because of the weaker surface on start.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Again I went to finals and won everything up to the final race against same M3:
Even this time I launched even better than previous day (1 car length in front) on the 3rd and 4th gear from -1 car length he was putting almost +1 car :(
But again on podium on 2nd place.

So I went to an event just to see how it is and test my car to do a 13.5s and I achived that goal but I got back 2 international trophies:

With this time I'm in top 50 best drag times in my country and in best 15 times in RWD drag cars.

I feel so ... speechless ... how this car made me to feel, I want to thank you all guys helping me to achieve this.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:12:28 PM by Kelu »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:09:24 PM »
Way to go! Two trophies in two days, I bet you're thrilled.

You also kinda show us how good some of us have it here in the States. We kinda take track access for granted when we can run almost every week. Sounds like it's a bigger deal over in your neck of the woods. That ought to make those trophies that much more meaningful!

Congrats again on the two second place finishes!
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Filipp

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:14:35 PM »
Nice write up Kelu and congratulations. If only they had the GM tune upgrade over there then you could get the Westers + GM tune and be able to run 13.2's or faster.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:24:40 PM »
Uranium-238 Yes, I'm not trying to show off here, I don't have best time, nor best reaction time or anything from top with my Opel compared with yours, I'm just trying to make you guys to understand how hard is for me to match you and to make you guys to go more often for a dyno or a drag just to test, I have spend 2 days on driving to get there and back, about $1000 for all the trip just to test my car, it was an awesome experience and made myself to aim a 12s in some months.
I wanted to share the information across the other continent and have something to compare with in all aspects.

Filipp All I need are those damn sensors, update of the tune and a better reaction time I'm sure I can touch a very low 13 if not a 12. On launching I wasn't been beaten by anyone except 4x4 cars.

Also pretty soon I will go for IC and thinking to a way to get solo exhaust cause the shipping will be a pain for me.
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »
Awesome Job

I think it's all in the head shave!!!
 :thumbs:

Offline Filipp

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »
If your not able to get a solo exhaust then check for Magnaflow in your area for the 2.0 turbo models. It may not be as good but its not bad. I know when I went to the track someone used a HAHN Intercooler + Magnaflow Exhaust and they were pretty fast.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »
Uranium-238 Yes, I'm not trying to show off here, I don't have best time, nor best reaction time or anything from top with my Opel compared with yours, I'm just trying to make you guys to understand how hard is for me to match you and to make you guys to go more often for a dyno or a drag just to test, I have spend 2 days on driving to get there and back, about $1000 for all the trip just to test my car, it was an awesome experience and made myself to aim a 12s in some months.
I wanted to share the information across the other continent and have something to compare with in all aspects.

Pfff, a 13.5 is faster than I've ever run, and my best reaction time has been a .427 (.000 being perfect.) You've got alot to be proud of, and practice will only help you (both of us) get better.

Also, did they use any kinda of traction compound on the track where you ran the 13.5? If not, you'd run much faster over here in the US, and that 13.5 would certainly be nothing to sneeze at.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:56:58 AM »
Very nice, congratulations.  I really enjoyed the pictures.  I hope you can take a trip to the states and visit.  I know we can let you test drive some really neat solstices.  Everything from GM/Westers to surpercharged NA's. 

Think about a visit!
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 07:14:51 AM »
Nice times kelu, the closest thing I got to those times is my other car.

05 Subaru Legacy GT that I swap 05 STi 6MT in. Link to swap http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61199

The GT moves right along for a AWD 3400lbs. car.  :drag:

Maybe after I close on my new home. I'll get my Sol to the track. The Sol feels as quick as the GT, but I have no data to back that feeling up.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 07:40:53 AM »
elff yes sir, I'll keep the shaved head all time, I lost about 6 pounds in this weekend :))

Filipp I mailed romanian offiicial magnaflow dealer some time ago asking for a price and disposal of the exhaust for my Opel GT, they replied after 1 week "we don't bring such exhaust" :)) no comment

Uranium-238 In one of my test I succeed an 0.2 reaction time but I had a poor 60 ft time and did only 13.6s, I could see 0.1 reaction time in street category only from awesome cars with launch control like Nissan GTR or Porsche 911 997 Turbo on this weekend. My reaction time is constant 0.4, I hope in next race in August or September to have a 0.2 and a great 60ft time to go under 13.5.
No traction compound on track, only poor quality asphalt (old air strip) and maybe some water for burnouts but I didn't know how to burnout to warm my tires, I was doing a rolling burnout only and modified my tire pressure, probably there I could do a low 13 with only WG Race Tune.

chuckdoc Thank you for invitation sir, but a trip to us would cost me $4000 which I can't afford too soon, I barely afforded this trip which end up to $1000, maybe I can get some help from my manager (I work off site for a company from Dallas) I would love to be there even just for a visit.

HAMMER DOWN Great time, that AWD (Torsen if I'm not wrong) is one of the best transmission along with awesome engines made by Subaru. Looks like a normal saloon but screams of performance, great project you have there. We have some great STI's around here, they have the best launches if I'm not wrong (they beat Porsches, Evos, etc) other transmission which can compare with these is (as far I could see with my eyes) only in the new Audi RS6 which is Torsen too but with over 600hp.
Get your Sol to the track and let's challenge, Sol is the sister of the other twins (Opel GT and Saturn Sky Redline), until now I have better 60ft time with RWD than your Torsen AWD  :drool:

I will post some videos soon, we all just got home some hours ago and everyone is still sleeping.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:46:04 AM by Kelu »

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »
Kelu said, " until now I have better 60ft time with RWD than your Torsen AWD"

over 400lbs. more then your car will do that. :D

Mike   
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:02:45 AM »
over 400lbs. more then your car will do that. :D
Ahhh, you got me, I thought I can trick you by distracting your attention and get you in the challenge with this "flame" :D

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 09:48:53 AM »
Excelllent way to represet the Kappa community.  You should be felling great.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 10:51:56 AM »
I come back with some more links from the racing weekend as promised:

My time slips from Hungary race:
http://www.timeslip.hu/verseny.php?lang=english&id=138&filter=1303&order=idorend&view=nev
(somewhere at the bottom you can see my 11 runs)

Races:
Hungary:
Opel GT vs Nissan 350Z
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8U2ynT6-9A

Opel GT vs Honda S2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJK02rG0Y-c

Opel GT vs Audi S3 (Nadir)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEWnmV_UbI

Opel GT vs CZT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8-e3Z78NKc

Romania:
Opel GT vs BMW M3 E46 (the final race)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ljJXlqJFzk

Opel GT vs Golf 5 GTI (qualifier race for semifinal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FISDe7zgDs8

Critterman I felt awesome ;)

Offline King-Oka

• Tech
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:43 AM »
Kelu,
I'm really enjoying your posts with drag videos attached. Very cool that you're winning over there.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned your backbone was steel.  I thought you might want to know that the DDM race backbone is 10lbs.  Your steel plate may be substantially more, depending on thickness. Every little bit helps.
2006 Solstice
Supercharged and Intercooled by DDM

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »
King-Oka Thanks for informing, I think I will stick with my steel one for the moment, somewhere in future I think I will love to get a pro-beam and maybe a ddm backbone.

Meantime I have received my custom V2 Wind Restrictor on which I have laser etched my car club logo, guys were over excited:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 08:45:18 PM »
Looks great! The guys at Windrestrictor do great work. In my opinion, some form of wind screen like that is a must for these cars, really finished the look.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 11:56:12 PM »
Was this picture taken at your last car club gathering

:lol:

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 08:55:12 AM »
Uranium-238 yes, those should be stock, if they are not, WR makes a better job

elff hahahahah, nice pic, actually we became one of the most known car club and with most trophies even we have started 3 years ago as a group of friends. I want to be the best kappa in the country and my Opel GT to be very well known ;)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:48 PM »
One presentation film from the last drag event which I attended has been released in a very nice quality and I thought I can share it with you.

http://vimeo.com/5346986
Click on the video to see it in real size.

Did you noted the only kappa there? :) (which too 2nd place in his group  :woohoo: )
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 07:50:02 PM by Kelu »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:35 PM »
Is this you?

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »
Kelu,
I've been keeping watch and you have done an amazing job in a very short time. I love the videos and the fact that you are standing on the podium 2 days in a row. Keep up the good work and show them all what a Kappa is made of.  :brnout:
By the way, are you now the NAK3D Romanian?  :woohoo:

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
Is this you?
DeepBlueGXP: yes sir, that's me, I had a Bomba sticker over my plates. Bomba is an energy drink and they were sponsors of the event. They asked me if they can stick something on my car, on the paint I wouldn't allow, but on front I already had my car club's name, on sides is nearly impossible or I shouldn't be able to see the the starting tree, no back side windows, and on the rear window I already had ? question mark as logo as my car club + COX Magazine sticker and they asked if I allow them to stick over my plates and I agree to hide my registration numbers.
Also great printscreen, you can see clearly the "quality" of the surface, I bet you don't see that mud which is flipping when I take off especially on right wheel.

Kelu,
I've been keeping watch and you have done an amazing job in a very short time. I love the videos and the fact that you are standing on the podium 2 days in a row. Keep up the good work and show them all what a Kappa is made of.  :brnout:
By the way, are you now the NAK3D Romanian?  :woohoo:
I have more nice quality videos with my car club guys but not with my car especially, I didn't want to look like a spammer or someone which is trying to show off, just wanted to share with you guys to see the differences ;)
If you guys loved them I might post some other cool videos even my car is not appearing.

I don't know what should I say about being NAK3D, I'm already in a car club in my country, I don't want to get in issues in any sides, I love my car club fellows cause many are real friends for me, in the other hand I love you kappa guys, from you I got 90% which I know/did/will do with my car but I don't want to get in a situation to disappoint any side, I think I have to re-read everything about NAK3D to know the "contract" :))

I've been keeping watch and you have done an amazing job in a very short time.
I don't think I would be able to do it with your help, that's why I'm trying at least to share the info/videos with you, still trying to make myself useful, until now being just a sponge of info.

Offline jonymac

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »
Congratulations Kelu!  You are the man!  We are so proud of how you hold up the Kappa community over there.  My 8 year old watched your drag videos and was very interested in how you did.  Next time, quietly deflate one of the tires on the BMW...   :thumbs:
Performance Mods
- Wester’s Race Tune
- RPI Stage 2 IC and Dejon Piping
- RPI GT Exhaust and Catless Race DP
- Fujita CAI
- Saturn Motorsports Big Bore TB
- Dejon Intake TB Elbow
- Sprintbooster
- DDM Race Backbone & ProBeam
- Z0K Rear End

Other Mods
- Painted engine cover, calipers, caliper decals