Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Help with stone chip repair  (Read 3588 times)

Offline wawa

• Apprentice/Gofer
Help with stone chip repair
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:06:32 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have several small stone chips in my hood,  I have touch up paint, and I would like a little help with what I should use to sand and rub out the marks after I fill in the chips.

Thanks,
wawa

Offline DRGNSLR

• Premium Member
  • Tech
Re: Help with stone chip repair
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:44:06 AM »
WAWA:

I'm not an auto painter or an expert in paint repair but I'll tell you what has worked for me when using touch up paint (small bottle w/ brush kind of paint):

a. Use both the base color and a clear coat for your repairs.  You'll need the clear coat on top of the base color in order to get the repair close to the original finish; otherwise the repair will be slightly off in color and/or shine and may even be more noticeable than the chipped paint depending upon the color and primer color on your car.

b. Clean the area to be repaired very well in order to remove any wax or loose paint that may interfere with the paint sticking to the hood.

c. Lightly sand the immediate area to be repaired if necessary (the exposed primer or bare metal) with a very, very fine sandpaper.  Be careful not to sand beyond the immediate chipped area or you'll find yourself with a larger repair and more work than you planned for.

d. TIP:  I use a "polishing kit" for plastic car models from Detail Master (about $12 - $15 at hobby shops) as a source of sandpaper.  This kit has a variety of small Mylar backed sanding sheets of 3,200 - 12,000 grit and does a great job of "polishing" the paint.  I use the very tip of a sanding sheet to get into the chipped area and apply pressure with the eraser end of a pencil.

e. Once cleaned, apply a small amount of paint to the chipped area for color coverage.  If the chip is deep, apply a 2nd coat once the first coat is dry.  The goal is to have sufficient paint to color the chipped area without applying too much so that the paint rises above the surrounding paint surface.

f. Now apply one or more layers of clear coat lightly sanding between layers.  The eventual goal is to have the final layer slightly above the level of the surrounding paint.  Let this layer fully cure and then sand it level to the surrounding paint layer while polishing the clear coat to the final finish you desire.  The finished surface should be level with the surrounding paint while at the same time as "shiny" as the original paint/clear coat combination.

g. Add wax and you’re done!!

Good luck!!

Gordo

“Dragon Slayer”
Yellow '08 RL, manual tranny
Options: shiny rims, mud flaps, aerodynamically questionable airfoil
Mods: GMPP LNF tune, DDM Backbone & Pro-Beam, etched glass Windblade, JPM seatbelt loops & knee pad
Upgrades: Phase-plasma rifle in the 40-watt range
[A/K/A Gordo SH-3]

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:48:50 PM »
Great tips, thanks.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »
Thanks for posting this, I need to do it both on my Sol and my wife's MINI.  I've got 30K miles now, and a couple of new rock chips to fill on my Cool Sol......

sunnygator

Cool Solstice with GMPP Kit, Heated Seats, Painted Calipers, K&N Filter, T-bolts & new Throttle Body Pipe

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »
Great tip, THANKS!!! Will print out and keep for future reference.
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:18:04 AM »
This looks like an interesting product, kind of pricey at $39-$59 (depending on how much you buy), but might be worth the investment.  http://drcolorchip.com/
Found a youtube video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3RYHBdh9Xo