Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Detailed Oil Change procedure  (Read 26597 times)

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
Detailed Oil Change procedure
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »
I just finished doing my first oil change. Thanks to a lot of posts on this forum, it went very smooth. I've been working on cars for over 30 years and this is by far the easiest oil change I've ever done.

I wrote a detailed set of instructions compiling information from various sources. Hopefully this will give you everything you need to do your own oil chages; including how to reset the oil-life display on the car. The instructions can be found here:

http://www.cherod.com/solstice/HowTos/OilChange.htm
My Solstice Web site and HowTo Articles

http://www.cherod.com/solstice

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Detailed Oil Change procedure
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »
Thanks for for the info, very detailed.

Even I don't perform myself the oil change due to warranty regulation I have to make it at dealership, I love be informed and to check what they are doing with my car.

Saved to my bookmarks.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
Another nice write up. I'm over 36k. I change my filter out at 50%. I get 9.5k out of oil change. The last two time I change my oil & filter the oil filter started to collapse in the middle. Pulled my last filter out at 50% 4.5k, filter look fine.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »
I have switched to RP and will do my oil changes every 10K with a filter change at 5K.

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »
I just don't trust the oil change places.  You never know what they are putting in and they don't take care of your car like you would.

I don't drive the car much, about 3-400  miles/mo during the summer and I don't expect to drive it during the winter unles its a mild sunny day. I don't think I'll put more than 4K miles/year so I'm going to try to do the oil change every year.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »
I hear ya that's why I always change mine on every vehicle Ive owned.  
You drive it as much as the previous owner of my Sol.  He only put about 3-4K a year on it. I've had it since the first of Feb and already put 8K and enjoying every moment of it. I'm guessing I'll have about 19K on the Sol by this coming Feb.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »
Great write up odiaz, very well documented.    You can get straight onto the oil filter if you place the 32mm or 1 1/4 socket on the filter first and thenplance an extension without a universal down from a hole directly on top of the filter and then click into the socket.  This will make it easier to remove.

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »
Odiaz, nice write up.  Just curious as to why you jack up the car on the passenger side?  I don't jack mine up, but if I did, I think I would use the driver side to jack it.  That way the car is tilted to the side where the drain plug is, and would drain better??

I'm sure you had a reason, and like I said, I don't need to jack mine up for the oil change, so I'm just curious.  Again, nice job on the write up!
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
Ha, LOL, I'm too big to fit under the car, I couldn't reach the drain plug to loosen it so I had to jack it up a bit to reach the drain plug. 

Offline FieroVin

• Tech
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:00:55 PM »
Great write up odiaz, very well documented.    You can get straight onto the oil filter if you place the 32mm or 1 1/4 socket on the filter first and thenplance an extension without a universal down from a hole directly on top of the filter and then click into the socket.  This will make it easier to remove.

Yup, that's the way I did it too. :thumbs:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
Yup, that's the way I did it too. :thumbs:

Yup, me too. :thumbs:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
This (search) thread "Detailed Oil Change Procedure" is useless. On post #1 2009 Link not working for oil change procedure instructions....

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 12:10:29 AM »
How detailed do you want easy as pie without even jacking up the car.
I take off the oil cap from top back side of engine and slide a large round plastic oil  collection container under the car on the passenger side under the oil pan drain bolt.  Take 2 long 8" extentions to my ratchet and from the passengers side remove the oil pan bolt.   While it's draining I remove the oil filter cap with filter on the back side of the engine by the fuel pump and remove the filter from the cap.  I clean the cap and replace with a new filter and reinstall the cap and filter and tighten down.  By this time the oil is just dripping out of the pan and I usually let it drip for about 5 min more before I reinstall the oil pan  drain bolt and tighten down.  Pull the oil container out from under the car and start to add 5 qts oil through the top oil cap opening.  Run engine and check for leaks and drive and park and check for leaks again and reset the DIC.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 12:16:31 AM »
You might want to say which direction you turn the bolt to loosen/tighten it. :poke:
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »
Damn I forgot to detail the DIC reset procedure.
From the Owners Manual.

After changing the engine oil, the system must be
reset as follows:
1. Turn the ignition to RUN, with the engine off.
2. Press the information and reset buttons
on the DIC at the same time to enter the
personalization menu. See DIC Vehicle
Personalization on page 152.
3. Press the information button to scroll through
the available personalization menu modes
until the DIC display shows OIL-LIFE RESET.
4. Press and hold the reset button until the DIC
display shows ACKNOWLEDGED. This will
tell you the system has been reset.
5. Turn the key to LOCK.
If the CHANGE OIL SOON message comes back
on when you start your vehicle, the engine oil
life system has not reset. Repeat the reset
procedure.

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »
How detailed do you want easy as pie without even jacking up the car.
I take off the oil cap from top back side of engine and slide a large round plastic oil  collection container under the car on the passenger side under the oil pan drain bolt.  Take 2 long 8" extentions to my ratchet and from the passengers side remove the oil pan bolt.   While it's draining I remove the oil filter cap with filter on the back side of the engine by the fuel pump and remove the filter from the cap.  I clean the cap and replace with a new filter and reinstall the cap and filter and tighten down.  By this time the oil is just dripping out of the pan and I usually let it drip for about 5 min more before I reinstall the oil pan  drain bolt and tighten down.  Pull the oil container out from under the car and start to add 5 qts oil through the top oil cap opening.  Run engine and check for leaks and drive and park and check for leaks again and reset the DIC.
Thank you very much for you explanation on changing the oil on our Kappa's. I'm sure someone will do a search and find this important detail you have given us... Thanks!  :thumbs:

Quote from: Sol Asylum up on the Peanut Gallery
You might want to say which direction you turn the bolt to loosen/tighten it.
For your information I was searching "Oil Change" threads because I needed some info as to the tightening of the "Oil Filter Cap"/"Oil Pan Drain Plug" and the "Oil Pan Baffle bolts". Instead of giving us your Peanut Gallery remark you should enhance tazz explanation by giving us the Torque setting for tightening the hardware... But you can't give info if you don't know it, so I leave you with these numbers for the next person that ask then you'll have something constructive to say...
Oil Filter Cap - 22 N.m (16 lb ft)
Oil Pan Drain Plug - 25 N.m (18 lb ft)
Oil Pan Baffle Bolts - 14 N.m (10 lb ft)
Thank you very much!  :slap:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:17 AM »
My comment was directed to Tazz as I took his first line to be somewhat sarcastic, and I am not complaining about that as I understand humor which is also why I used this :poke: 

Had you actually asked for torque information, I and other here could have supplied it for you.

Complaining that a three year old thread is useless and not asking for specific information doesn't give anyone any idea what help you need.  Especially when it's a task that most people consider to be pretty basic maintenance.

In fact I kind of find it funny that even Chuck Doc, who flat out said he wasn't mechanically inclined, knew the answers to some of your unasked questions.
http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,842.msg9488.html#msg9488

FYI the oil pan bolts are also 18 lb ft just in case maybe you needed those too.

Hope that was constructive enough for you, if not oh well.

2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »
This (search) thread "Detailed Oil Change Procedure" is useless. On post #1 2009 Link not working for oil change procedure instructions....
I had it working from my home computer the other day, This site is great, lots of pics, and other how to's too! I now wish I had copied them to word. I tried just now from work, I thought it was a security thing from work, but a friend has a laptop from home and it wouldn't work either. Maybe site is under construction...when I get home I will try again. If it does, work, I WILL copy the info and try to get it to you. I will need to do my first oil change soon, so I had been checking the how to's out myself.
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
The link doesn't work here either, I'll contact him via pm

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
My comment was directed to Tazz as I took his first line to be somewhat sarcastic, and I am not complaining about that as I understand humor which is also why I used this :poke: 

Had you actually asked for torque information, I and other here could have supplied it for you.

Complaining that a three year old thread is useless and not asking for specific information doesn't give anyone any idea what help you need.  Especially when it's a task that most people consider to be pretty basic maintenance.

In fact I kind of find it funny that even Chuck Doc, who flat out said he wasn't mechanically inclined, knew the answers to some of your unasked questions.
http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,842.msg9488.html#msg9488

FYI the oil pan bolts are also 18 lb ft just in case maybe you needed those too.

Hope that was constructive enough for you, if not oh well.

Quote from: MARVIC 1 on 5/18/2012
Where do you see on my post that I was Asking for any help?
Even you admit in your writing that I wasn't asking questions.  :poke:
The first post on this thread is the main objective. Its not working meaning the thread is Useless, in other words please fix it or dump it, that all.....

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what oil baffle bolts have to be loosened and tightened during an oil change?  No wonder my car isn't running at the moment, I never touched my oil baffle bolts.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »
For your information I was searching "Oil Change" threads because I needed some info as to the tightening of the "Oil Filter Cap"/"Oil Pan Drain Plug" and the "Oil Pan Baffle bolts". Instead of giving us your Peanut Gallery remark you should enhance tazz explanation by giving us the Torque setting for tightening the hardware...

Exactly my point you didn't ask for it but then give me crap for not supplying it.  How the hell was I or anyone else for that matter to know that's what you needed?

Critter from what I can tell the NA's don't have the baffle bolts but otherwise I agree with you.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline MARVIC 1

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »
Crtterman - Look at the picture below (Baffle bolt). I was removing my oil pan for cleaning and wanted to make sure I had all the torque information before I did...

Sol Asylum - My crap with you was for your response which had nothing to do with me resurrecting this thread as being useless..
OK enough of this lets move on! Sorry if I came out the wrong way towards you!  ;)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
My baffle bolts must be loose.  I've had oily stools recently.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 06:15:26 PM »
My baffle bolts must be loose.  I've had oily stools recently.
You need to start going to higher class bars.
2007 Aggressive GXP