Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DIY Engine & Fuse Box Cover  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Charlie W

• Master Tech
DIY Engine & Fuse Box Cover
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
I received my first Social Security check this month, and I'm on a much tighter budget. To save money I try to make the things I want for the car.

Two weeks ago I purchased a 12 X 32 X 1/4 piece of T-6 aluminum for $35.00. I used my old tunnel brace as a template to lay it out and drill the holes on my drill press and cut to size on my metal cutting bandsaw.

This week I purchased a 18 X 24 X 22 guage piece of mirorr polish stainless steel for $55.00, a 6mm X 1.0 X 1M threaded rod for $6.00 and 4 stainless steel acorn nuts and flat washers for $8.00. I made a new engine cover about the same size as old one and uses the same holes. And I had enough left over for a fuse box cover.

Aggressive,5-speed Manual. Mods: Westers Race Tune, K&N Drop In Filter, Dejon SS BOV Spring, JPM Visor Covers, 3M Clear Bra, GM Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Silver Painted Calipers W/Red GXP Letters, Red Arrow Decals, JPM Stitched Console, Silver Painted Rotors, Mirror Polished Stainless Engine Cover, Fuse Box Cover and Visor Mirrors, DIY Tunnel Brace, Dual Horns, DDM Pro-Beam.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: DIY Engine & Fuse Box Cover
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »
You should take pictures during the day.
Looks clean and shiny, reminds me of the impeccable rebuilt hot rods' engines.
Thanks for sharing.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Looks amazing
Good Job!!

Offline BLK GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Rollin'
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 12:09:58 AM »
sweet
Mysterious Lightside GXP. Driving like there's no tomorrow.

Offline Charlie W

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »
You should take pictures during the day.
Looks clean and shiny, reminds me of the impeccable rebuilt hot rods' engines.
Thanks for sharing.
As you requested here are a couple of pictures taken out side. The others were taken in my garage.

Aggressive,5-speed Manual. Mods: Westers Race Tune, K&N Drop In Filter, Dejon SS BOV Spring, JPM Visor Covers, 3M Clear Bra, GM Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Silver Painted Calipers W/Red GXP Letters, Red Arrow Decals, JPM Stitched Console, Silver Painted Rotors, Mirror Polished Stainless Engine Cover, Fuse Box Cover and Visor Mirrors, DIY Tunnel Brace, Dual Horns, DDM Pro-Beam.

Offline nolanb

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 08:53:49 PM »
Amazing.  You did a great job!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:53:58 PM »
You obviously have access to some metal working tools. To cut that so cleanly and then bend it in a break takes some talent. Nice Job!
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Charlie W

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 05:08:16 PM »
You obviously have access to some metal working tools. To cut that so cleanly and then bend it in a break takes some talent. Nice Job!

I have a drill press and bandsaw, but I don't have a brake. I C-Clamped the material under an aluminum straight edge to a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. Then I took two pieces of wood baseboard molding, with a tapered edge, cut a little longer than the part. I screwed them together to keep them lined up and loosened the screws to slip over the part. Then I used heavy duty c-clamps to hold them tight. I used a 18 inch adjustable wrench on the wood to make the bend. I also used a electrician's knock out punch to make the radiused cutout for the oil filler, then bandsawed to the holes and in between and a disc grinder with a flapper wheel to finish the edge.

Offline yellowsky

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 12:31:41 AM »
wanna make another?

Offline Charlie W

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:15:49 PM »
wanna make another?

This link is for Dejon Powerhouse a supporting vendor on this Forum
http://solstice.dejonpowerhouse.com/
Under appearance items he has a similer engine cover that some might consider better than my design. He includes all the hardware to mount it. He also has a fues box cover.

Buy the time I had the material shipped to me, purchased all the hardware, and shipped to you I would have to charge you as much as Dejon. Go to his web site and check it out.