Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Your experiences with the DDM Pro-Beam?  (Read 12280 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Your experiences with the DDM Pro-Beam?
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »
DDMWorks some time ago developed the Pro-Beam rear suspension brace. I know that it is engineered to bring your light-duty stock cross member up to snuff but what does it do in day to day driving. Is it as much bang for the buck as others say their Backbone is?

What are peoples experience with the Pro-Beam?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:02:34 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
Re: Your experiences with the DDM Pro-Beam?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 11:47:32 PM »
It stiffens the rear of the car up considerably.  Less roll through cornering and the car doesn't seem to dive as much upon acceleration.  i put it on in combination with lowering springs, so the effect might have been increased.  I love it and highly recommend it.  I will be getting their backbone and shock tower braces installed at the mod meet.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:21:42 AM »
It stiffens the rear of the car up considerably.  Less roll through cornering and the car doesn't seem to dive as much upon acceleration.  i put it on in combination with lowering springs, so the effect might have been increased.  I love it and highly recommend it.  I will be getting their backbone and shock tower braces installed at the mod meet.

Your springs did the squat, dive, and sway "fixes". The ProBeam will make the rear more satble in cornering and under real hard forward loads (slamming the gas pedal!!). 

Hey !!!!!! WHAT shock tower braces?
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline stuck

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:30:53 AM »
Flattens the curves and prevents most of the understeer during hard cornering. I think it's a sum of the parts. Both are going to give you some benefits, but when used together it allows the car to be what it should be from the factory. I've got the GMPP suspension, too. It rides like a skateboard, but a very gooooood cornering skateboard...

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:35:52 AM »
Your springs did the squat, dive, and sway "fixes". The ProBeam will make the rear more satble in cornering and under real hard forward loads (slamming the gas pedal!!). 

Hey !!!!!! WHAT shock tower braces?

Ha ha...it's a new brace that DDM is working on...you will see it soon enough...and will want one.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

INTRUDER

lil goat

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »
OK everyone remember the weird thing about cars, if you put a bigger ie stiffer sway bar on the back you will feel an improvement in the FRONT of the car, just weird the way that works. I am waiting until after the Christmas shell out of funds to order the Pro Beam. The backbone reduces the flex in the middle of the car where it is weakest. I can only believe that the Pro beam will help reduce the car's tendency to plow through corners by stiffening up the rear. It will also help keep the assend planted as we all add more POWER! (insert Tim Tool Time grunt here)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »
I had the backbone and probeam installed at the same time, night and day, car just flat out goes where you point it, no fuss no muss.

The shock tower brace is sweeeeeeeeeet, going on with my stage III upgrade.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »
Drove the Dragon, went to DDM Work and Dave installed the "Pro Beam."  Drove the Dragon again...Unless someone comes up with something better, the "Pro Beam" stays on forever.  Noticeable improvement!!   :drag:

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
Incase you missed it, this is a rendering of the shock tower brace that we are doing, the first ones are going to be installed at the new york mod meet next week.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »
Now that is sweet looking...can't wait to have mine installed!
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

INTRUDER

Offline Morfious

• SMMM 7 Cup Stacking Champion
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Tryin' to keep the rubber side down since age 2
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »
The group at DDM do great work as well.  The clearances are quite tight.  Spikey had to change out his coil cover that had stickers on it to give enough clearance for the new brace.   (Actually I think Dave just told him that to get him to buy another one, he's sneaky like that.)  Looks good and I need a ride to see how much better it makes the ride.
Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K
Mods:
Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav System
Solo-Performance Street Race exhaust
Debadged
JPM interior (Doors, steering wheel, shifter, console now with 100% more Chuck Norris)
Custom dash and Flush mounted Valentine 1 Radar Detector
O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels with Dunlop DZ101
DDM Works (Big Brake Kit, backbone, intercooler, valve and coil cover)
GXP ZOK Rear sway bar

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »
Drove the Dragon last Summer. Drove over to Greenville and Dave installed my Pro-Beam and went back to the Dragon.  Noticeable different.  Can't wait to try it with the DDM Works Backbone ---Maybe this month if the WX is good and my CUZ is willing to put up with me in her spare room again :rofl:

Offline tailhooker

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 10:03:16 PM »
     I had the Pro Beam and the Backbone installed at the Mod meet.  I didn't really "test " it until I was on the Southern Parkway , heading toward Kennedy Airport and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.  I had an occasion to really get out of the way of another car.....WOW !
When I punched it, there was NO sideways movement......the rearend just squatted a little and TOOK OFF !  Money WELL SPENT !
     A word of caution: If you have the SOLO Center outlet exhaust......the clearances are VERY tight. My Center outlet exhaust clears by about 1/8" on one side and just touches on the other side. If I grind about 1/8 " from that side , everything will be cool. As it is now , it touches on the one side and vibrates/rattles sometimes. No Biggy.......this is an eassy fix to have a MAJOR improvement in handling.
     Just my $0.02

Offline RUTurbo

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 10:10:17 PM »
I really want the Pro Beam, unfortunately I'm not sure it will fit with my exhaust, hopefully someone with a Sky out there can answer this. Does the Pro Beam fit with RPI GT series exhaust?? I know Kappasphere's similar reBar product does not fit with the RPI GT, really want to get this mod done but switching out exhausts is not an option, and I don't want to have to "take one for the team" on this unless absolutely necessary.
Keep Chopping!!!

Offline Wheels

• Founding Member
  • Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
I installed the Pro-Beam when it first came out and I liked how it made the car drive.  I now have the Backbone brace and I'm looking forward to installing that if the weather warms up.  Both products are well thought out and well made. While I don't often push the car on times that I have the Pro - Beam made the handling better.

thanks,
Jim :woohoo:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:18:02 PM by Wheels »
Thanks,
Jim

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
     I had the Pro Beam and the Backbone installed at the Mod meet.  I didn't really "test " it until I was on the Southern Parkway , heading toward Kennedy Airport and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.  I had an occasion to really get out of the way of another car.....WOW !
When I punched it, there was NO sideways movement......the rearend just squatted a little and TOOK OFF !  Money WELL SPENT !
     A word of caution: If you have the SOLO Center outlet exhaust......the clearances are VERY tight. My Center outlet exhaust clears by about 1/8" on one side and just touches on the other side. If I grind about 1/8 " from that side , everything will be cool. As it is now , it touches on the one side and vibrates/rattles sometimes. No Biggy.......this is an eassy fix to have a MAJOR improvement in handling.
     Just my $0.02

I have both the ProBeam and the Backbone .... along with the SQR-2 exhaust and have no clearance problems ....

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
I have both the ProBeam and the Backbone .... along with the SQR-2 exhaust and have no clearance problems ....

1kulsol and I have the same set up and I have no clearance problem either  :nuts:
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
I just had the backbone installed with the shock tower brace...already had a pro-beam.  The car is solid as a rock...considerable difference....no side to side movement...money very well spent!!!
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

INTRUDER

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
I really want the Pro Beam, unfortunately I'm not sure it will fit with my exhaust, hopefully someone with a Sky out there can answer this. Does the Pro Beam fit with RPI GT series exhaust?? I know Kappasphere's similar reBar product does not fit with the RPI GT, really want to get this mod done but switching out exhausts is not an option, and I don't want to have to "take one for the team" on this unless absolutely necessary.

It will fit.  I have not seen any thread where it interferes with any of the retail exhausts.

I have the RPi GT and the brace and will be installing them both next time I have my car in the air.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »
That exhaust just might need some adjustment if it isn't aligned correctly.  Check the tip alignment and make sure they are perfect.  The Pro Beam has yet to be non-compatible with any exhaust system. 
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

INTRUDER

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »

Is this the GT exhaust.  The Pro Beam is installed.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
Yea that's the RPI GT exhaust.  Fitment looks good to me.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

INTRUDER

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 09:06:44 AM »
Simple question here.  Anyone know the weight of the Pro-Beam?  If it is so good, why in the world didn't GM include it as stock when the Kappa's were introduced.  My guess is that it was rushed into production and simply overlooked?  I would think the added weight would be of benefit in one way but not in another?
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »
I have held one in my hand....I am guessing maybe 5-7 lbs??  It's not too heavy, and it really stiffens the back end.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

INTRUDER

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »
Simple question here.  Anyone know the weight of the Pro-Beam?  If it is so good, why in the world didn't GM include it as stock when the Kappa's were introduced.  My guess is that it was rushed into production and simply overlooked?  I would think the added weight would be of benefit in one way but not in another?
From my talks with a friend and GM suspension engineer, he tells me that many of the suspension items were not done in order to keep costs down and also because this roadster they felt would be purchased mostly by those who would NOT be driving it in the manner that necessitated the extra 'stiffening'.  That is why you see the GMPP Suspension that was offered - they knew when this was brought to market what the car could and couldn't do on the track.  But, they also knew that many of the everyday drivers would not like nor appreciate the less than comfortable ride that extra stiffening provides.  While those of us who like to "drive hard" thru the twists and curves are willing to sacrifice some comfortably for better handling.
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin: