Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Dual Element H13 HID's  (Read 12232 times)

lil goat

Dual Element H13 HID's
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »
Well it has taken a long time but someone has finally made them, they are true dual element HID's not the moving bulb thing you can get on eBay. They are only made by one company I know of Oracle, these are the same guys that sell the best Halos on the market. I emailed AAC there biggest dealer to become a forum supporting vendor, but they are looking for new dealers on there web site so maybe one of our existing vendors can sign up with them. The HID's are EXPENSIVE they are $295 for the H13 kit, they do give a discount to the Camaro forum members they use the same H13's they get them for $219. I am hoping we can get the same deal I asked. I did not want a set of HID's until they came out with the dual element unit's, but boy are they expensive! the web site is:
www.aacstyle.com I looked and looked they are just about the only vendor that lists the complete line and even lists the Halo's for the Solstice and Sky.

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
Re: Dual Element H13 HID's
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
If you're going hid you should really invest into a proper oem hid projector setup and not these aftermaket hid kits for halogen housings. I wouldn't put these on my car if they were given to me for free.
Once you compare the light output/intensity/width of an oem hid projector setup to a aftermarket kit in a halogen housing you'll agree with me.
The hidplanet forum is goldmine for information, i suggest people who want to switch to hid's sign and look through it http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/index.php
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:50:58 AM by shabby »

lil goat

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:13:14 PM »
Unless you have actually seen these I think your comments are useless. These are not the stuff from eBay. I have seen them paired with their red Halo's and they are far superior to anything else out there. Ken Gushi runs them on his Scion TC drift car. I saw them in NJ in the daytime and in Las Vegas at night, they are the Oracle lights I asked. They are VERY bright! The Scion does have the projector lens stock but did not have the HID's

I would love some projectors but I am loathe to spend $200 on headlights much less a $1000. This is at least a lot better solution that the ones that moved the bulb in and out.

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »
Unless you have actually seen these I think your comments are useless.
I don't need to see them to know that you cant defy the laws of optics, when you throw in an hid bulb into a halogen housing and even a halogen projector its not going to have the same output as a projector specifically made for an hid bulb.

Ken Gushi runs them on his Scion TC drift car. I saw them in NJ in the daytime and in Las Vegas at night, they are the Oracle lights I asked. They are VERY bright! The Scion does have the projector lens stock but did not have the HID's
No one said anything about not being bright, every hid kit will be bright if you look straight at it, its the beam pattern/width these kits can't match because they're not in an hid projector. You should really join the hidplanet forum, you'll change your mind quickly when you see some of the comparisons between hid kits and oem hid projector setups. Just because you cant afford this setup doesn't mean you should settle for a half assed one, if you scour for used parts on the hidplanet forum you won't spend that much. The key part is the projector itself, new ones are between $150-250 and used ones even less, then you can skimp of aftermarket bulbs/ballasts rather than use higher quality oem ones. But then you need some spare headlights and do the retrofit yourself, but the end result will be much better and more satisfying than sticking some hid bulbs into a halogen housing.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
They actually have a Ebay store.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Advanced-Automotive-Concepts
Didnt look to see if they had the DE's on there Ebay store though.

lil goat

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 02:09:41 PM »
I don't need to see them to know that you cant defy the laws of optics, when you throw in an hid bulb into a halogen housing and even a halogen projector its not going to have the same output as a projector specifically made for an hid bulb.
No one said anything about not being bright, every hid kit will be bright if you look straight at it, its the beam pattern/width these kits can't match because they're not in an hid projector. You should really join the hidplanet forum, you'll change your mind quickly when you see some of the comparisons between hid kits and oem hid projector setups. Just because you cant afford this setup doesn't mean you should settle for a half assed one, if you scour for used parts on the hidplanet forum you won't spend that much. The key part is the projector itself, new ones are between $150-250 and used ones even less, then you can skimp of aftermarket bulbs/ballasts rather than use higher quality oem ones. But then you need some spare headlights and do the retrofit yourself, but the end result will be much better and more satisfying than sticking some hid bulbs into a halogen housing.
I won't join any forum that won't let me at least browse first, leads me to believe they want to sell my name and email address. It will be a very long time before I spend any money on HID's I would like to do the Halo's. My point was at least these don't move in and out, that is a real crock and how many of you reading this bought them, put your hands up, now smack yourself.
I think an HID should work fine in a halogen reflector if it is placed at the focal point. Buying generic bulbs will not get you this, but I am not sure the stock bulbs are any better, they are most likely worse. Most people don't buy HID's for the light output, no matter what they say it's the "I have HID's factor" and the "I blinded 3 people on the way home with my cheap ass 10000 color HID's factor" These when I saw them looked good, not over bright and annoying and I loved the red halo's.

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »
I won't join any forum that won't let me at least browse first, leads me to believe they want to sell my name and email address.
Hah come on get real, there aren't even any ads on that forum yet its the best hid resource out there.

I think an HID should work fine in a halogen reflector if it is placed at the focal point.
If both bulbs were the same shape and shot out light from the same spot then sure, but they're not and that's why hid bulbs don't work properly in a halogen housing no matter what anyone says... its simple geometry.

These when I saw them looked good, not over bright and annoying and I loved the red halo's.
You saw them in the daylight you said, that's not exactly the best time to make a judgment on how good an hid setup is.

lil goat

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 06:23:21 PM »

If both bulbs were the same shape and shot out light from the same spot then sure, but they're not and that's why hid bulbs don't work properly in a halogen housing no matter what anyone says... its simple geometry.
Thats what I said isn't it
You saw them in the daylight you said, that's not exactly the best time to make a judgment on how good an hid setup is.
I said I also saw them at night, in Las Vegas they race at night, until after midnight actually and it was still 103 degrees. I saw the light off the track where it was unlite. I made a point to, I was really looking at the Halo's, I could give a rat's ass about the HID's but I did notice they looked a lot better than most.

It should actually not be that hard to get decent output from the Solstice lights as they use the domed mirror to reflect the light back on to the main reflector, but a bulb made specifically for the car would be better. I am not completely clueless, ever play with a Mag Light. focal point is very easily illustrated with one, just twist the head the beam and focus changes as the bulb moves in and out, IE the focal point changes. The way a fog light bulb differs from a driving light bulb is in the length of the bulb and placement of the filament. I have  yellow fog light  bulbs in my car the beam is short and fat, which is why I have them. I used to drive to work every morning in the fog. (some of us did pay attention in high school physics)

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
I could give a rat's ass about the HID's

So whats the point of this thread? If i would of known that i would of stayed away seeing that you don't care about the pure awesomeness of hid.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
So whats the point of this thread? If i would of known that i would of stayed away seeing that you don't care about the pure awesomeness of hid.
Keeping it to what Goat posted and not JACKING IT UP AS YOU HAVE.

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:02:50 PM »
Maybe its better for others to know what they're buying is no where near close to the quality of an oem hid setup.

lil goat

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 06:09:58 PM »
Shabby people have been buying the $99 crap ones with the moving bulb by the truckload. I only commented that there is a better bulb available now for information, I know OEM's are better. There is a reason I don't have HID's. I stumbled on this info looking for RED Devil eyes and thought it would be nice to share it, if and when I get HID's and yes I want them but can't justify the expense, they will be full on headlight rebuilds with projectors, most likely something similar to the Sky but with HID's and Devil eyes, in the mean time these are a better solution than the crap on eBay for those that want them. I have asked one of our vendors to rep Oracle, so I can get the Devil eyes at a better price as the company that reps them now is a real pain in the butt to deal with. I can get 1/3 of a new turbo for the what the lights I want cost, rather have the turbo.

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 10:26:29 PM »
Everything related to the hid aftermarket is crap, all the kits you see from every dealer out there are made in china and are repackaged to look all high and mighty with ridiculous markups to make you think they're high end.
You want an hid kit? $40 is all they're worth http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85
Don't feel like paying $170 for some ccfl rings? Get it from the source http://www.wanxy.com/en/product.asp#14 165mm is the biggest ccfl they have, they got them dual element hid bulbs too.
You want high quality hid parts, go oem.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 12:15:08 AM »
Thanks for the links Shabby. We are all aware that the OEM parts are preferable to the aftermarket parts especially when those aftermarket parts come from China. I prefer to have all my parts sourced from North America but often that isn't possible. Those that want to experiment with different looks and designs may be looking for a cheap offshore part to play around with. Remember that many of the OEMs use parts from China as well. Maybe not the same Chinese parts, but Chinese none the less.

Your point about the HID aftermarket parts being lower quality than OEM parts is a valid one but let's not  :bdh:

Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 02:49:00 AM »
I have asked one of our vendors to rep Oracle, so I can get the Devil eyes at a better price

Looking forward to have the choice of another solution lil goat! Nice move!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

lil goat

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 09:21:04 AM »
Thanks for the links Shabby, how do you buy from the second link? They have exactly what I want for the Halo's they even have orange! I want to go with orange instead of red to just avoid the hassle with the LEO's and red, I like blue, but not for my car but around here that will get you pulled over in about 2 seconds.

(mods it is OK to let people disagree, I have known Shabby a VERY long time) believe or not he has been on my buddy list for several years.

What does 发送失败 mean?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:26:32 AM by lil goat »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 09:22:09 AM »
YOU have buddies?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but news of this magnitude.....
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

lil goat

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 09:27:26 AM »
YOU have buddies?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but news of this magnitude.....

You were on my buddy list Critter, now you are on a different list  :rofl:

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:28 AM »
:(  what a sad day at flat rock
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »
What does 发送失败 mean?

Time to brush up on your chinese... i'd start by emailing them, they do accept paypal which is good.

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »
Goat asked
What does 发送失败 mean?

Buyer beware :woohoo:?

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia