Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How To: Spray Tint Center Brake Light  (Read 2183 times)

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
How To: Spray Tint Center Brake Light
« on: December 24, 2008, 03:55:20 PM »
This light must be one of most difficult to remove...so I decided to spray tint it on the car.  Here's what I did....

Materials used:

• VHT Night Shades Tint Spray
  • Acrylic Clear Coat Spray
  • Painters Tape
  • Towel

To Prep: I cleaned the area around the brake light and used windex on the brake light itself.  Make sure you use a microfiber towel so none of the lint gets on the light. 

Taping: Rip long pieces of tape off and fold one edge over so it becomes flat and is easy to slide into groove around light.  Surround entire light with tape, and make sure to also tape about 6-8 inches wider to prevent overspray.  After taping is complete, lay the towel on top in order to prevent spray from landing on the decklid. 

Starting the Taping Process

Taping Finished

Spraying: I used three coats of the VHT Night Shades and two coats of the clear acrylic.  Use even spray patterns and do not go too fast.  Make sure to start to the left of the light and end to the right of the light to ensure even coating, and the opposite when spraying the other direction.  Allow about 7-9 minutes drying time in between each coat.

After One Coat of VHT Night Shades (note towel to prevent overspray)

After Three Coats of Night Shades and Two Coats Clear- Tale Removed

Remove tape slowly so that it does not rub against the light you just sprayed...and you are done!  The cost was approximately $10 total.

Steve
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER