Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Tire performance questions  (Read 9332 times)

Offline kwayne

• Apprentice/Gofer
Tire performance questions
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »
Can somebody explain the difference in various performance catagories?
Extreme performance Summer, Max Performance Summer, Ultra High Performance Summer.
Are they related to speed ratings?
Mean Green Wolverine
\'07 Sky Redline w 3 pedals
GMPP upgrade, Magnaflo cat-back, Dejon IC & intake
264 rwhp

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
Re: Tire performance questions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
Speed ratings, wear ratings, cold/warm performance, wet/dry characteristics, etc. Here is a link that might help - http://www.vredestein.com/Onlineadvies_Veelgesteldevragen.asp?UsersessionID=28617060
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

lil goat

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:30:28 AM »
Extreme, Max, Ultra are all sales terms they don't really relate to the real world, the term summer tire does however let you know the tires get hard as a rock below about 40-45. The link that Bob posted is your best tool.Most of the tire companies have similar charts, as does Tire Rack.

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »
Tire Rack discusses the categories in more detail. Read there...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tiretype.jsp
each link contains more info.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:10:46 PM by kwtoxman »
:ca2:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »
What is everybody running for summer tires? My stocks F1's seem very chirpy / hard.  Will be looking at replacing them soon and was looking for suggestions.  Street driven, not raced.  Summer only (San Diego)

Thanks!
Gentleman Jack
Make the right choices now

Ben L

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »
Extensive horse beating about this very topic in multiple threads. . .

I am partial to Dunlop Direzza Star Specs . . .  Which will come as no surprise to anyone here.

Do a search and sit back and await the onslaught.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:28:05 PM »
Yeah, I thought about that right when I hit the send button.  I have seen the debates go round and round.  Where is that "open a can of worms" Icon??? :worms:
 :worms: :worms: :worms: :worms: :worms: :worms: :worms: :worms: :worms: :worms: :worms:

Maybe I will just say "never mind..."

Ben L

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 04:31:34 PM »
No, stay with those threads, Jack.  There is a TON of useful information there, punctuated by the usual ocassional bragging and cheap shots.  

But the good info., and the love, is there . . . Really.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:38:25 PM by Ben L »

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 04:54:08 PM »
I try to avoid hitching my cart to a specific horse. I look for the best deals out there, usually in the top 2 or so performance categories tire rack lists. Other than that it is hard to figure out hype and bias from reality.
:ca2:

Ben L

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 05:23:33 PM »
That's a good way to go.  But every platform is different, and Tire Rack's reviews and ratings cross lots of platforms.

Another way to go is to see what people who have exactly the same car you drive say about what they are running and how they like them. 

I think most people will be honest about the plus and minus sides of their shoes. 

If they say they like them, and explain why, that may not be bias or hype, but an honest opinion.

Offline RufusMacblorf

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »
Extensive horse beating about this very topic in multiple threads. . .

I am partial to Dunlop Direzza Star Specs . . .  Which will come as no surprise to anyone here.

Do a search and sit back and await the onslaught.

I'm very happy with my new Direzza Star Specs.  They make the car feel more planted and stable than the stock RL tires.  They also stick like flypaper.  I was worried about the additional tire noise, but it's minor.  I feel that it was a good investment.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
I would be looking for sticky yet quiet tires.  I feel that the stock F1's have good grip up to the breaking point and then lose all control, there is no "happy" slide.  They just go out.  Regaining control is a test of skills instead of just compensation.  A few times already I have tried to steer with the back and just lost it (all in a safe - off public road area!)  I would be looking for something with more control at the edge of grip.

I am not going to put many miles on the car, so wear is less of a concern than grip.

Gentleman Jack

lil goat

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »
I think for quiet the Nitto INVO may be the winner, they are super quiet and have a fairly soft sidewall (that's why there quiet) people seem to like them. Dunlop, Falken and Sumitomo all come from the same factory. I have yet to see anyone say anything bad about the Dunlops or the Sumtomo's  only bad about the Falken was in the snow and that does not apply here. I have the Bridgestone's that cost half again as much as the others, they are great dry and a lot better than stock in the rain but way overpriced compared to the others. If I was buying summer tires, I would have to look very hard at the Dunlops. Hankook, Yokahama and Toyo also make some very good tires. I won't buy the Bridgestones again, just based on the price, to many as good or better tires for a lot less.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »
The new Hankook Ventus V12's have gotten great reviews as a summer tire and they are about $169 a tire.  I also have heard good things about the Sumitomo HTR Z III's, along with the brands goat has mentioned above.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline RufusMacblorf

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »
I would be looking for sticky yet quiet tires.  I feel that the stock F1's have good grip up to the breaking point and then lose all control, there is no "happy" slide.  They just go out.  Regaining control is a test of skills instead of just compensation.  A few times already I have tried to steer with the back and just lost it (all in a safe - off public road area!)  I would be looking for something with more control at the edge of grip.

I am not going to put many miles on the car, so wear is less of a concern than grip.

Gentleman Jack

If noise is a big deal, you might look into the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.  I considered them as an alternative to the Star Specs, but couldn't find enough reviews to feel completely confident.  Every review commented on how extremely quiet they are, however.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »
I run the Sumi's they are great on the road wet or dry, and not bad on the occassional E ride on the parking lots.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

lil goat

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »
I have also heard good things about the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, I forgot to mention them as I can neither say or spell the name (but I can cut and paste)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 03:27:01 PM »
Are the Direzza Star Specs that noisy? With a high flow cat and a rather noisy aftermarket exhaust are you going to hear a little noise from the tires?

How noisy can they be?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Ben L

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 03:30:19 PM »
I have both those mods, and as noted in an earlier post, you do not hear tire roar over them. 

The SCCA Sports Car mag shootout noted they make noise "at the limit," meaning they talk to you before they let go.  And that's a good thing.  Most R comps. do not.

Offline DrJones

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »
The SCCA Sports Car mag shootout noted they make noise "at the limit," meaning they talk to you before they let go.  And that's a good thing.  Most R comps. do not.

And thats what makes them fun!
The drop off after reaching the limit on street tires is much more gradual and controlable with lots of noise (good for your average driver).
R-Comps and Race slicks tend to drop off a cliff when going past the limit and they don't scream bloody murder at you. they just go.
2007 - GXP - White
F-Prepared - Crazy Monkey Racing
Westers Garage/Norms Fiberglass/AVON TYRES

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »
I would probably want my tires to "scream bloody murder".  :D

When I am in the market, the Star Specs, unless something else comes by in the mean time, will probably be what I get. Right now all I am doing thinkin' about is changing the oil and getting the car cover out for the long Canadian winter.  :(
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline RufusMacblorf

• Tech
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 04:58:08 PM »
Are the Direzza Star Specs that noisy? With a high flow cat and a rather noisy aftermarket exhaust are you going to hear a little noise from the tires?

How noisy can they be?

The Direzzas are a little noisier than stock tires at freeway speeds, but not much.  We have convertibles so the noise difference is barely perceptible.  The reviewers who reported noise issues probably didn't have convertibles.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »
GoodYear F1's GS-D3's have been very good. I have also heard good things about the Pilots PS2's
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline ASETech67

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »
Hey Lil Goat,
  Was curious as to which Bridgestones you have...Im looking to buy a set for mine sometime in the next year, and since I work for Bridgestone/Firestone LLC I am privy to their R&D on the tires as well as what goes into them in production, and the price isnt going to be a big issue for me since I have the advantage of employee discount. I had Potenza RE960 Pole Positions on my last car (very good tire in Wet and Dry road applications, smooth quiet ride, with a 40K mileage warranty) but I want something that is bred more for traction and performance as is befitting our cars. Ive been leaning towards the Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFT...not only for its overall performance and traction, but also for the runflat ability since we dont have spares for our cars...but the Potenza RE-11 and RE760 Sport show alot of promise as well...just no RFT technology in those. 
2008 Aggressive GXP (VIN 8Y113718)   Premium package, 6 CD Head w/Monsoon Sound, Onstar/XMRadio,  ASAP: Center Brake Light Cover (Turbo),  Beach Party Central: Engine Bay Fusebox Cover,  DDMWorks: Race Backbone, ProBeam, T-bolt Clamps,  Dejon P/H: High Polished Lazer Cut Engine Cover,  GM Parts Direct: GMPP Tune, Standard Splash Guards (Front/Rear),  MBRP: High Polished T-304 IC Charge Pipes, High Polished Lazer Cut Turbo Cover,  WindRestrictor: Version 2 Custom Graphics, Lazer Etched, Red LED Lighting

Ben L

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 10:43:31 AM »
Don't runflats add a lot of unsprung weight?