Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Review: Sunglasses well sort of  (Read 2762 times)

lil goat

Review: Sunglasses well sort of
« on: October 01, 2009, 07:41:09 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I am kind of a Sunglasses junkie, I thing I have 20 pairs floating around. I have several pairs of expensive ones as well figured I would share some recent observations. First off let me say I have an added concern whenbuying shades as I also ride a Harley so I need them to block wind as well.

I have worn Gatorz as my favorite for several years, they have an aluminum frame and you can get the lens replaced or frames rebuilt for life for $60 at most and that is a total rebuild or replacement, obviously these are not cheap glasses. They run in the $150 range depending on the lens you pick. I have 2 pair with different lens types, more on that later.

I recently went to Las Vegas and both of my pairs of Gatorz had seen better days and needed a rebuild. I like them so much I figure buy a third pair to wear while they were getting repaired. I tried and could not find what I wanted anywhere, backordered. So one of the companies that sells Gatorz also sells Liquid and convinced me to try these, also expensive. I ordered these, they are polarized with blue mirrored lens

http://www.activesportsunglasses.com/liquid-tflex-200.html
I wear contacts and to be honest have been less than impressed with these expensive glasses. They look cool, but the lens is just not as clear as it should be most likely due to the wrap around, I have never been thrilled with them but it was all I had in Las Vegas and they did do a very good job of blocking the Las Vegas desert sun.

I sent my Gatorz in for repair, they have some new lens since I first bout them, one that gets lighter or darker and one that is a "blue blocker" I had them repaired with one of each. The ones Transition lens seem to be very fast to change and get surprisingly dark I like them a lot and will be great for driving in the evening or on cloudy days when you just don't need dark glasses. They are not polarized but work very well and are easier to see somethings with that the polarized, almost no distortion from the wrap.

I also got the Defender blue blocker and I am super impressed with these, they do some magic thing and block blue light, I guess you wouldn't be able to see Smurfs at all. I don't know how they work they just do, they are far superior to my polarized lens. I was driving home last night and the sun was behind some clouds and making a very bright halo around the cloud, it hurt my eyes to look at it with out the glasses and I was driving right at it, with the Defenders on the difference was fantastic, didn't bother me at all. I have never tried the blue blocker thing before, but it works! I know they sell cheap versions on TV and eBay if you don't want to spend a ton but it is worth a shot if you never tried them. Here are the Defenders I have, this is the third set of lens in each of these frames and I have had the ones below for at least 10 years (they replaced the frame and all on these this time)

If you have any interest in these just search Gatorz on the web, they are available lots of places including direct.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Review: Sunglasses well sort of
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:49:56 PM »
I lose them very quickly, so I tend to stay in the 10-20 dollar range for mine.  Bought 3 pair this spring on base in Annapolis, spent from 14 to 29 dollars for each pair and I still have 3 pair.  Of course the pair I bought last fall (blue blockers) have gone for a walk...
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »
I'm with critter. I guess I'm pretty hard on sunglasses, because they either end up scratched or broken fairly quickly. My last pair lasted all of 2 months...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

lil goat

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:20:36 PM »
Funny how when you buy a better pair you take care of them, at least I do. Like i said I have had these frames for many years, just keeping getting the lens replaced. They do have cheap blue blockers though.

http://www.blublocker.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2735K
$20 for these, the blue blocker thing actually works JUST LIKE ON TV!

Offline DirtyMike

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 11:23:03 PM »
i've had so many sunglasses over the years raybans,gucci,cartier,okley,revo ect.. my favorite are the costa del mars, a have two pairs and the others collect dust.
I had some Costa Del Mar's and they were great until I broke them. That's was about the time I got my first pair of Ocean Wave's with aluminum frames, then switched to Gatorz at a bike show after I trashed the lens on the Wave's. I have had much better luck with aluminum frames, and the repair for life thing has worked for me. I have discovered for fishing or around the water I really like polarized but for every day and driving not so much, you can't read a gas pump for one thing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:45:20 AM by lil goat »

BTF ShabbyPipes w/TialQ ,HID low&fogs, stubby,Tints, RPi GT Exhaust & RacePipe, Hahn IC, Areoforce Dual Guages, DDM ProBeam, Race Backbone & APilar,Wester\'s Race Tune,TenzoR DC5, Eibach Sportlines, BTF\"BigWheel\" ko4+,JPM shifter,RK sport hood,norms sky fenders, HKS turbo timer & some CF bits

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 07:58:44 AM »
I always buy my glasses based on the lens, that's why I bought now a Polaroid.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

*  Straightforward, classic styling
    * Gently curved nose grip
    * Strong and streamlined arms
    * Filter category 3
    * Polaroid polarized lenses
    * 100% UV protection
    * Comes with Polaroid hard case

Generally I loose/brake/scratch the lenses in maximum 3 months. I have these for 2 months in perfect condition but I wear them only while I drive and keep them in the car only.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Derf

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:32:08 AM »
I wear glasses so that kind of limits my options. Have used Bolle Parole Cycling Glasses for a Long time, changed to Bolle Swiftkick a couple of years ago. The prescription insert is almost weightless and the look is great.

lil goat

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »
I have polarized prescription sunglasses too, I prefer contacts and regular shades. I have gotten away from polarized lately, I have a polarized face shield on my helmet and they make rainbows together. I actually prefer the blue blockers over the polarized, and I have done side by side tests. That is just me, the polarized are great around water but I don't like them so much for driving anymore, although I have worn them for years.