Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Review -- Pontiac Solstice Performance  (Read 3715 times)

Ben L

Review -- Pontiac Solstice Performance
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:00:37 AM »
Some of you may already have this book, so feel free to skip this.  

As I am sure many others have, I have heard about this book for a while.  The word on the street is that is a handbook for how to transform your civilized Kappa roadster into a dedicated, trackworthy, race car.

Now that our cars have been orphaned by their maker, and as the miles on the clock increase, the idea of someday taking my faithful steed out of daily service, and putting her out to pasture on the many road courses up and down the Eastern Seaboard is increasingly intriguing.  I also am concerned this pub may go out of print, being so specialized.

I ordered one from Crate Motor Depot.  It is a thin 124 paperback, printed on high quality glossy paper.  A was a bit dubious when I first opened the package, how could such a slim volume be worth $20?  My doubts were dispelled the minute I opened it.

A bit short on narrative text, it is long on checklists of items that need to be modified or replaced, and hundreds of photographs illustrating in detail how to accomplish many of the steps.  It is also packed with "sidebars" -- specs, charts, tips, etc. -- chock full of concise and useful information. It starts with an introduction describing the design philosophy and history of the Sol, followed by an (unnecessary) answer to the question, "why race the Solstice?" Next follow chapters on initial teardown, rollcage installation, trimming and reassembling the interior, road racing powertrain upgrades, road racing vehicle prep, tips on how to drive the track, and then a final chapter illustrating Rhys Millen's hardcore drift car build, including an LS7 install, and a build for Hot Rod mag that came in at 2880 lbs and +500 hp! With an SCCA legal roll cage and a functional trunk!

The book is oriented toward prepping the car for recognized SCCA Solo II (autocross) and Club Racing classes.  But it contains a wealth of information that is highly useful in civilian life. Ranging from the basic (what is caster, camber) to the highly esoteric (factory alignments start on driver's side, so when aligning, start on driver's and then match the passenger settings). It includes how tos on brake bleeding, trans fluid swap, and shock disassembly, and tidbits like the shorter half shaft goes on the driver's side of the diff., and that a special carbon fiber top is available from the SCCA for dedicated SSB and T2 cars.  Wonder if we could get our hands on one of those?

Anyway, the quality and amount of data stuffed into this unassuming slim volume is amazing.  The teardown photos reveal in detail the normally hidden anatomy of our cars, including hard points where roll protection elements may be safely attached, another huge plus.  

Highly recommended even for the causal Kappa owner who never plans to go racing.  Essential for anyone who does plan to do any form of competition.  Buy it before it goes bye-bye.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:05:41 AM by Ben L »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Review -- Pontiac Solstice Performance
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
Good write up Ben, but then you have always had a way with words, must be the profession.  :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

lil goat

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:35:01 AM »
Thanks Ben, well there goes another $20 on this damn money sucking little car, I have been meaning to buy this but keep forgetting. I am not sure on the availability of the CF tops anymore, I do know you need an SCCA license to buy one From GM, and they are about $2500. I have someone who can get them if they are available, or even make one from scrtach if enough interest, but it will be cash up front and most likely have to be picked up in Charlotte. I may know someone in No. VA. as well, he had a used one for sale for $1800 once upon a time, I would suppose he could get more if someone had the money. These tops are not watertight and are for racing only.

You can get a 2 page preview of the book here
http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/hppp_0712_pontiac_solstice_scca_racer_build/index.html

Here is a picture from the book shows the stock VS Z0K sway bar, both are hollow Z0K has thicker walls
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:41:29 AM by lil goat »

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:36:50 AM »
Agree completely on the review. I procured my copy a couple months ago. The only data point I (and a lot of others) question is toe IN on the front for a race or solo setup. Other than that, besides some part numbers have now been superseded, this is a must have book.

As for racing the GXP later on, unless one is just going to do "track days" the Kappa platform will rapidly become uncompetitive. Might be better to cut the losses and buy a used race car to freshen up. Certainly would be cheaper, and more likely there would be plenty of info and parts. Just some thoughts.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:41:25 AM »
I've got an increasingly well-thumbed copy in the garage. A must for anyone interested in racing their Kappa, either on roadcourses or autocross.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
Was digging & found this thread, it came out before I joined. Anyone know if this book is still available & where to get it.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »
Try Crate Depot or something like that, the same place everyone buys the gm tune from.  If it is available, they will have it.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »
Crate Engine Depot has it for $17.99 +7.00 shipping. Will order it when I get home.

Thanks Critterman

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »
Sounds like a great idea for a group purchase discount item.  If so, I'm in.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:54:27 PM »
?????
Im all for discounts but it probably wouldnt be much $2-3 at most.  
Anybody that wants the book really should just buy it.   Whats $25 anyways now a days, 4-5 cups of coffee at Starbucks.  In addition it gives alot of back ground info on the Solstice and that's priceless since Pontiact is a dead brand now.  Just my 2cents.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
Just for everyone's info incase you didn't know it.  Crate Engine Depot is a vendor on this site.  Even though CED site is still up, he goes by Shop GM Accessories here.  He did the change to attract more customers so you wouldn't think he was selling just engines. 

http://www.shopgmaccessories.com/  He has a sub forum called the same.