Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Power Steering Pump help, please  (Read 1525 times)

Offline diamoney

• Master Tech
  • I coulda had a V8! But I'm not a fan of tomatoes.
Power Steering Pump help, please
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »
Would anyone be able to post the p/s pump install and bleeding of the system (if required)?  I surely do thank you,

John
#000600 S/C
158000+ miles

'07 GXP T/C+
0-100 in what?

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
Re: Power Steering Pump help, please
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:11:06 AM »
It's a straight forward mechanical job. You should have flare wrenches for the hose nuts. Take the tension off of the belt and remove it. At this point you'll need a P/S pulley puller for that task. Remove the pulley and the lines, unbolt the pump and pull it up and out. Reverse to install. The flare nuts on the lines are only torqued to 20 ft/lb, which is just "snug". The P/S pump bolts are on at 16 ft/lb. Bleeding the system is just a matter of refilling the reservoir, starting the car, and turn the wheels lock to lock 3-4 times, check and refill the reservoir and repeat. Top off the fluid and clean up the mess! You're done.  

For what is worth, if you are not real comfortable doing this, the shop labor rate is only one hour. If you don't have the pulley puller (and you will NEED it) and the wrenches, the labor charges then become modest. BTW, what is wrong with the pump, and why not have it done under warranty?
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline diamoney

• Master Tech
  • I coulda had a V8! But I'm not a fan of tomatoes.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:22:34 AM »
Thanks, Bob!

I suspected that it was all that it would take.  I have the flare nut wrenches (Snap-on) and will borrow the puller from Advance, so no problems there.

No warranty as I am over 77K on my '06.  The reason for replacement is, I had a serpentine belt come apart, wrap around the p/s pump pulley and ate the seal.  A new tensioner takes care of the belt issue.

Now if I can stay dry under the carport long enough to get it done!
#000600 S/C
158000+ miles

'07 GXP T/C+
0-100 in what?

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »
Thanks, Bob!

I suspected that it was all that it would take.  I have the flare nut wrenches (Snap-on) and will borrow the puller from Advance, so no problems there.

No warranty as I am over 77K on my '06.  The reason for replacement is, I had a serpentine belt come apart, wrap around the p/s pump pulley and ate the seal.  A new tensioner takes care of the belt issue.

Now if I can stay dry under the carport long enough to get it done!

OOPS !!!!!!!!!!!
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »
Try to keep dry John. You should be able to have it all done in a couple of hours.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.