Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Detachable trailer hitch  (Read 4420 times)

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
Detachable trailer hitch
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »
Over the past few days I have started a weight loss program on the Redline in preparation for the 2010 Solo season. The first step is to modify the Curt hitch to be easily removable at events. In doing so, I won't have to worry about bolts falling in to the frame channels. The hitch was removed and weighed at ~33 pounds. (This hitch was the first prototype for an LNF and may not be exactly like a production unit.) The first thing I did was use an air powered "whiz wheel" to cut away the welds holding the straps that attach to the rear box section that the bumper system attaches to. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Next, I clamped on a 5" x 6" x 1/4" piece of steel plate from "Metal By The Foot". This shot shows one hole drilled, another started, and a cut line scored by the grinder. You'll see why later. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Here are the six holes drilled and the cut being made. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
One side cut and bolted up. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
This is one side with the the strap and side plate detached. They would remain ON the car. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
And, last, this is the way it would appear under the car when it is re-installed. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The two pieces of sheet steel cost under $6, and all the nuts, bolts, flat and lock washers were grade 8 (equal to the frame hardware that Curt used) cost about $15. Total time was about four hours including sharpening a couple 1/2" drill bits. And THAT sure helped !!!!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:36:27 PM by snaponbob »
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Detachable trailer hitch
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 07:41:10 PM »
This is the story of how snaponbob lost his trailer.  :lol:

Thank you for sharing, don't forget to take pictures when your trailer will be left behind  :cheers:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »
Oh, it's not coming apart. Those are 1/2" (14mm) Grade 8 nuts and bolts. There IS a reason for 3 bolts above and three bolts below. There is 1/4" plates attached to 1/4" plates. These bolts can be torqued to well over 100 ft.lbs. Given that I am only pulling 500 pounds, the only way that the hitch will come apart is when I TAKE it apart. Eventually, the plate will be welded to the main section.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »
So if I am looking at this correctly, take 3 bolts each side and it falls on your head?

Then when you are ready to go home, you bolt it back on and go?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »
So if I am looking at this correctly, take 3 bolts each side and it falls on your head?

Then when you are ready to go home, you bolt it back on and go?

First question - 2 parts; 1) 3 bolts each side and the two along the cross bar, 2) I sure as hell hope not !!!  :idiot: :mad:  :goat: :cryin:
Second question - Yup.  :thumbs: :woohoo:
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »
I like. Will probably do the same thing when I get a hitch.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
After getting everything back in place, I can say that the cut should have been a little lower to make the on/off process easier. Everything is back on, all is tight, and Sunday I tow the tire trailer 5 hours round trip. I will be bringing tools to check everything with, but really do anticipate any issues.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
So how did the tow work, and how did you do?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 09:57:47 PM »
He lost the trailer and came in last... :D

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
Okay, all you negative power generators !!! The hitch was PERFECT. The surface we raced on was the absolute worst I (and ALL others) had EVER been on. I want you to think about trying to search for traction on a polished concrete surface in a parking garage AFTER an automatic transmission spill on a rainy day. It was WAY weird. As for MY performance, even with less than 30psi in the A6s, there was no grip, but I was up with the quicker cars. The event itself was simply the most poorly run thing that I have been in since 1981, but that turd belonged squarely on the SCCA host Region's plate. The United States Army was an absolutely fantastic host, and "THE BIG RED ONE" gets ALL the credit. The post Commander and his subordinates were the most gracious, down to earth, and friendly hosts one could EVER hope for. EVERYONE had a blast, the troops were happy and excited, and the future will most certainly see more of the same sort of events at Ft. Riley, and if their chain of command sees the benefits that Ft. Riley did, this single moment in time will be shared at Army posts around the country. As a Vet, I felt a bond that a lot of non Vets can not possibly know, but they also knew that something special happened today. Before we left, there was already discussions about when, and how many, more events will be held. So VERY different from the period of time when I was in the service.

I will NOT forget what happened today. It was MUCH larger than a mere Solo event.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:06 PM »
Polished concrete with tranny fluid on it?  Funny, glad you had a great time, maybe next time they can run some tanks over the course first :)

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 08:52:44 AM »
Polished concrete with tranny fluid on it?  Funny, glad you had a great time, maybe next time they can run some tanks over the course first :)
This surface was BRAND NEW. Anchor pots for helicopter tie downs were in place, but no straps were installed yet as was seen on the "old" ramp areas. During the first heat it looked like cars were racing through talcum powder. It rubbered up REAL fast but THAT stuff was slick as well, probably because that powder (cement dust) was mixed in. It was WEIRD. But before the event was over the very highest post command personnel were asking if we would be better served on the old concrete as it was very easy to move the choppers. How cool is THAT attitude? We'll be back next year !!!!!!!!!     
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
Well it should be weathered next time you go back.  Military is like that they bend over backwards to hell and you don't even have to ask.  But hey you got an experience money can't buy.  Driving on a slick surface hownes your skills :)

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 10:25:12 AM »
Well it should be weathered next time you go back.  Military is like that they bend over backwards to hell and you don't even have to ask.  But hey you got an experience money can't buy.  Driving on a slick surface hownes your skills :)

One thing for sure --- running 53 seconds on a 40 second course (and I was at the quicker end of the list) does give one PLENTY of time to think about what I was doing !!!
Bob Buxbaum

lil goat

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »
Bob I can not see how that hitch will ever work, I see absolutely no duct tape on it anywhere, I bet you could gain a couple of seconds with some duct tape.

Glad to hear the about the event, I have the privilege to work with Vets a lot, at work and in the community, keeps me connected and can you believe humble.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
Bob I can not see how that hitch will ever work, I see absolutely no duct tape on it anywhere, I bet you could gain a couple of seconds with some duct tape.

Don't tell anybody else, but that isn't a Curt hitch. Balsa wood is the basic material and the rest IS Duct Tape !!! All of it. And the attaching thingies are formed out of JB Weld, filed down to shape, and painted with Gold spray paint that I was "huffing" while I was putting this all together.
Bob Buxbaum

lil goat

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »
I won't tell a sol I swear

Offline Triuser

• Tech
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 10:07:26 AM »
That's great.  I've been hesitant to pick up a hitch because I don't like it staring out from underneath the car when I'm not using it.  I really need something to carry my bike though.... as there is no way it will fit in the passenger seat, wheels off and all.  I very very carefully tried this once.  I really hoped someone would make one of those hitch types that have a vertical acceptor, the hide-away type.  Anyway, I think I'll pick one up and try it this way now.  Thanks for doing the hard work, thinking it up and trying it out.   :cheers: