Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Pinouts for gauge clusters?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
Pinouts for gauge clusters?
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:08:19 PM »
Anyone out there have access to the pinout diagrams for the gauge clusters on Solstice and SKY?  I want to know if they're the same or different.  I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to get the ambient temp to display in the DIC on a Solstice, like in a SKY.  So far, I've wired an ambient temp sensor across pins 67 and 70 of BCM connector C1 (with the correct terminals).  Unfortunately it's more complicated than that.

So the next thing to look into is if there's an extra socket populated in the SKY gauge cluster connector.  I somewhat doubt that will be the case, though, but I want to make sure.

Chances are it's going to require a cluster swap, BCM swap, or BCM programming...  none of which I really think I'll be tackling anytime soon.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Pinouts for gauge clusters?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:50:24 PM »
Sounds like a project you should undertake :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
well, yes and no.  I'm only willing to pay so much to see the outside temp in the DIC.  A new BCM or gauge cluster (or even e-bay ones) is about a dollar more than "so much."   Maybe at the next mod meet I'll beg the SKY guys to let me take apart their cars and try their BCMs and/or gauge clusters in my car to answer the question of what it would take.

Any SKY owners wanna turn me loose on your cars to help out your sol brothers?   :nuts:  :)

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:24:20 PM »
There is a better question -- do Sols even have ambient temp sensors? Or is the Sky's ambient air temp sensor the intake air sensor?
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »
The Sol does have ambient temp sensors, it is a PID I display on Dee's dash hawk.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:49:26 AM »
There is a better question -- do Sols even have ambient temp sensors? Or is the Sky's ambient air temp sensor the intake air sensor?

The SKY's ambient temp sensor, at least the one that sends data to pins 67 and 70 on the BCM connector I referenced in my first post, is located on a bracket near the left headlamp, as shown here:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/outside-temp-gauge-26799/index3.html#post541692

As DBG points out, Solstice does have a PID for ambient temp that can be read by Dashhawk (and probably other similar gadgets).   By all accounts, that is both an accurate reading, and independant from IAT values.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »
As DBG points out, Solstice does have a PID for ambient temp that can be read by Dashhawk (and probably other similar gadgets).   By all accounts, that is both an accurate reading, and independant from IAT values.
Yep.  I can confirm from my Aeroforce gauges that the ambient temp shows, is (reasonably) accurate and is different from the IAT.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)