Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Reducing the time when map lights are shutting off  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Reducing the time when map lights are shutting off
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »
The interior lights (those from the mirror I think you call them map lights?) are shutting off after some seconds (10?) and this is annoying me because if I activate my alarm I get an error because there is something which draws power and the alarm doesn't like that.

There is any simple solution to minimize the time after the doors are closed and the lights are off?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Reducing the time when map lights are shutting off
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:35:46 PM »
Just wait 10 seconds to arm your alarm?

There is a way.  I think Joe has some of this figured out when he was adding a mirror with map / temp? 

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
I'm too fast for waiting 10s  :mad: I hope somewhere in future to be able to travel 1/4 mile in that time  ;)
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:40:43 PM »
Not sure if this information helps you, but the dimming feature is controlled by the BCM.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
It gives me a clue but I don't know how to approach this.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Pull the lightbulbs? :idk:

Maybe a simple circuit that detects the drop in voltage would help, IIRC some diodes won't let current flow under a certain voltage. Slap some of those in line, and it should cut the power nicely.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »
Get a better alarm? :idk: :poke:

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:47:24 PM »
Try LED bulbs?  Perhaps the power draw would be low enough not to trip the alarm.

I had a post somewhere about what bulbs to use.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Buckinfitch

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 08:56:12 PM »
also has a power save feature: if the doors are opened longer than 20 minutes they will auto turn off, great feature when displaying or putzing in the interior with the doors open.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 05:57:52 AM »
Uranium-238 Those lights have full voltage for 10s, then starts to decrease for about 1-2s. I'm trying to lower those 10 seconds down to nothing or 1-2s. How can I do that with only some diodes?
I still need interior lights, I don't want to get rid of it, I don't like the case that they are still on after I close my door.

2kwk4u I have top model from Viper with most expensive pager and some additional modules. Payed about $600, don't think I can find better than this around here  :banghead:

TomatoSoup I already have replaced the bulbs with LEDs, there is no more so dimming effect with those, dimming is only 1-2s, I don't have a problem with that, I have a problem with the lights being on another 10s after I close the door.

So those lights if you turn on the engine shut themselves fast (1-2s after engine is started) if you just close the door without starting the engine they stay 10s on until they shut off. I look such a moron waiting my car every time to shut the lights off so I can activate my alarm  :gaah:

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 06:18:43 AM »
Years ago (we're talking 15+ years now) I used to work as an alarm/stereo installer.  Given that it was so long ago, this may no longer be relevant.  I haven't installed an alarm in ages. 

At that time, I installed Viper alarms (and other DEI brands).  There were two ways to hook one up:  1) Voltage sensing or 2) switch sensing. 

Voltage sensing was an easy install, but less reliable and less effective.  Voltage sensing would basically detect a minute change in voltage and determine that a door or trunk had been opened, thus turning on the dome light (or trunk light).  It was a much simpler install because you didn't have to hunt for all the correct wires for triggers or install pin switches on the hood and trunk.  We would charge less for a voltage sensing install. 

Switch sensing was a more complicated install, but more reliable.  You didn't have to worry about all the "what if's".  i.e. What if the car has a slow fade dome light? - what if the bulb is burnt out? - what if the dome light is switched off? - what if the battery starts to go bad? (voltage sensing alarms go crazy when that happens).

If things haven't changed since I used to install (again, it was quite a few years ago), it sounds like your installer did yours as voltage sensing. :(

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 06:36:27 AM »
My alarm shop went with one easy installation and with less intervention possible in my electric system to avoid any hassle if I will ever go to Opel dealership with any electric warranty cases.
That's why I don't have engine start, I can't raise the windows when I close the doors and other things, but I don't know exactly in technical terms what they did. You sound right, any small voltage being used it makes my alarm to throw an "error".

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
I know this is pretty old thread, but if you havent figured it out, viper/python/clifford/avital systems from directed electronics have options to bypass the sensor for reason like delayed dome lights and stuff. It still will monitor the door trigger, but wont error back saying a door is open. It can be turned off in the options menu (Door Trigger Error Chirp). Unless when the lights go out, you get a full blown alarm thinking a door was opened, you might have to isolate the door trigger wire from the alarm to the door triggers themselves. Without actually installing it myself, i dont want to give out information without first trying it myself. But if your installer is worth their guff, they can figure it it pretty quickly.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 05:20:58 PM »
Wow, really thank you for replying in this. I didn't figure out and I was remembering about 1 month ago how painful is to wait until map light go off to arm my alarm.

Any information is appreciated.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »
No problem. If an extra chirp when you arm and a tone from your remote , the door error chirp off should solve your problem. So if they gave you the book to do the programming yourself, give it a shot or just swing by their place. Itd literally take under a minute to program.
But other than that, I cant say much more because I have no personal experience with that issue because I used an integration module (Xpresskit DLPK) with my alarm so its all done through the cars data-bus. Checked the european section of their website but doesnt list the GT. Since youre able to get directed products there since you have a viper, you might be able to contact them to see if the DLPK would work since its basically the same thing as the US Sky/Solstice electrical system.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »
Yes, I have an extra chirp on the car and on remote if I arm it before map lights got off.

I know my installer didn't wanted to mess with my electrical system because of warranty issues back they installed the alarm system, that's why I don't have many options like: engine on from remote, engine off after a period of time, closing windows when arming, etc.

I called them and they said that if my warranty expired or I don't care about it they can install a can-bus now by chopping some wires and I will have all options mentioned above. I asked him specifically about the subject of this topic and they said they can install a delaying relay which will trigger the door guard after a period of time.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 09:32:55 PM »
Oh yeah, if you thats all that its doing, just program that feature I mentioned off. It comes ON as default. Dont need any special add-on. Like I mentioned earlier, it will still cover the door if someone opens either one, just wont give the chirp/error when you lock it with the dome light still on. Do you have the normal 2-way remote (5701), one that has a basic screen on it (5901) or the one that has the badass color screen (5902)?
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 04:14:31 AM »
I will transmit them what have you told me ;)

My Viper is 5901.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »
Yeah let me know how it goes.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Maui Sky

• Tech
  • tech
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 08:46:56 AM »
Does anybody know what could be my problem as to why my map lights and floor lights don't go off after the engine is turned off and the doors are left open? If I close the doors after a few seconds they slowly dim and go off. But if I leave the doors open and up for show they will stay on forever. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »
There is a battery saver mode it goes into, but I think it is around 20 minutes.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia