Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: No more egg yokes  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
No more egg yokes
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »
I never minded the look of the yoke like effect that we get on the front of our cars with the clear lens and the amber bulb. That's until this year. Maybe I was looking for another inexpensive mod to do on a Sunday when Denise, my wife, is at work.

Picked up a can Duplicolor Chrome paint and as was suggested in another forum, I sprayed a bunch of paint on to a piece of metal on the bench and dabbed it on to the bulb with a cotton ball. Gets a VERY thin film on the bulb, certainly thinner than you can spray on with a spray can. If you don't like the results, you can wipe the paint off the bulb with acetone and go at it again. The acetone will not effect the amber coating on the bulb.

Here is what the bulb looks like after the chrome paint is dabbed on the bulb.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
And at the left you will see what the lens looks like with the painted bulb behind it. At the right, the standard bulb.  :drool:

And finally with the lights on there is virtually no difference between the painted and the non painted bulb. The key is to put on a thin coat. Way cheaper than those chrome bulbs that you can buy online and at some auto parts stores.

For an 8 dollar can of spray paint, why the heck not!  :D

Oh and if you accidentally drop a bulb of the floor and it breaks? Go to the auto parts store and if they don't have the 3757 amber bulbs, buy the 3157 and put the base from the old bulb on to the new one. Simple to do and you won't break the wires at the base. Just bend them straight and swap bases on the bulbs.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:35:58 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
Re: No more egg yokes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
You know you can buy chrome look bulbs that shine yellow, right?
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »
I had a set of those bulbs, since I have an 06 and they are my DLR's they burned out in a couple of weeks.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
I have heard that John, especially the ebay ones. Matt, I had two perfectly good bulbs and for the cost of an $8 can of spray paint it was a no brainer. Not only that but I still have most of the paint left over.

The chrome bulbs online can cost $30 plus the cost of shipping.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:34:52 PM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline SolNut

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »
Nicely Done, Eh!  :thumbs:

Steve
 :drive:

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:52:54 PM »
Good money saver, thanks for posting. 

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »
If anyone at the mod meet might want to do theirs, I could bring then paint that I have left over.

Offline Sky 5

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »
Those little bulbs can get awful hot.
Will the paint affect the bulb-life or just flake off over time?
The Sylvania Silverstars are only about ten bucks a pair.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 11:02:43 PM »
Nice picture! The gentleman that I got the idea to dab it on with a cotton ball said that he did his over 2 years ago and never had a problem with them. I know that if you hold the bulb after it's painted up to a household bulb that you can see right through it so it shouldn't be much of an insulator.

Heck, if it peels in a few years, I'll do it again as it only takes a few minutes.

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
my fear (if you'll call it that) is that if it peels i don't want my light housing to get fill up with paint chips.

Offline crappa

• Tech
  • What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up? In Denial
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 02:19:48 PM »
I used silver engine paint, no problems with peeling in almost 2 years.
Paul

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 02:51:58 PM »
my fear (if you'll call it that) is that if it peels i don't want my light housing to get fill up with paint chips.
Heh!  On my previous car, the paint on the original amber bulbs started to crack and peel off inside the headlight housing.  With that car (Audi A6) you can't remove the headlamp without taking off the bumper, so I never did get all the yellow paint chips out, not matter how hard I tried :) 

So yes, a pain if it happens, but staying standard doesn't guarantee you won't have the issue either!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 04:37:34 PM »
very true tomato

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
And on our cars the chips would be easy to get out...   :D

Offline duramax

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 01:28:55 AM »
I had a set of those bulbs, since I have an 06 and they are my DLR's they burned out in a couple of weeks.
I have had them in my Silverado DRLs for years with no problems. The stock ones burned out soon. I change to Silverstars on every new car right away as I hate the egg yokes.
2008 NA Sky Midnight Blue Black Top Black Leather Chrome Wheels Monsoon single disc Vector ECM WR Electric Blue V1 Sequential Turn Signals Pulsing Third Brake Light RL Exhaust Smoke Side Markers That Flash With Turn Signals. GMPP CAI and Splash Guards GM All Weather Mats Butt Plugs 35% Tint GMPP Saddle Bag JPM Center Console Bun Warmers