Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: State Inspection FAILED - Readiness Codes  (Read 8422 times)

Offline rich71

• Master Tech
State Inspection FAILED - Readiness Codes
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »
Hello, I woke up my car from storage and brought it for inspection it FAILED. It was the evap and o2 sensor not being ready. LAST year I had gotten the code(forgot what one) that was due to the Westers "SS" tune(ecm needs time to adjust to it) and cleared it with my dashhawk. Thing is it appears I didn't drive enough after that because of the poor weather last year so I need to drive it around some. My question is how long does it take for it to be "ready"? - I read here driving for 10 minutes, then idle at a total stop for 2 minutes after...and/or a few key cycles.....is there anything more specific? One last question is can i see if the sensors are "ready" using my dashhawk or do i have to drive around with my laptop monitoring with hp tuners and if so, where do i observe the rediness using hpt? I won't be able to mess around with the car for the next few days which sucks.....i could always go to stock then drive, but then again, how long and what not comes into play. Any help would be great. Thanx :-)
2007 Midnight Blue Redline
Manual Trans
Westers Race Tune
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
Redline overlay on 3rd brake light
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: State Inspection FAILED - Readiness Codes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »
I believe it will take around 20 miles for all of those to hit the ready stage

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »
I had the same issue, I cleared a code and it wasn't ready when I went for the inspection.  It is a combination of key cycles, miles, temperatures and probably a little magic thrown in.  If you drive it for a week it should be ready.

I don't have a clue where to find it in HPT
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
I had the same thing happen with my Mercedes. I had to drive it around forever to get it to even show up to get the emissions done. Good luck, it's a pain in the butt.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
 :lol:

It's quite funny that you have to aimlessly drive around and create unnecessary carbon emissions in order to pass inspection for proper emissions.

2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
Almost as funny as people flying in private Jets to a seminar on the environment and global warming.

Offline JRinKY

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
Isn't the drive time to ensure that you can't cover up a sytem that isn't working properly by resetting a code right before the inspection ? I wouldn't exactly call that aimless driving.

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
It's actually a certain # of "drive cycles", where is a drive cycle is miles, going from cold up to temp, etc...
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
Isn't the drive time to ensure that you can't cover up a sytem that isn't working properly by resetting a code right before the inspection ? I wouldn't exactly call that aimless driving.

Sorry I should have used the sarcasm smiley thing to let everyone know I was joking.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline ASETech67

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »
Since Im not fully familiar with HPT tuners...I cant answer as to how or where you could view readiness status...but if you can find someone with an scan tool that is CAN capable...go in thru Global OBD II and scroll to Readiness Monitors...it will show you what systems are at readiness status, and which ones are not...EVAP and Catalyst readiness are the 2 that take the longest...the only thing I can tell you is that if you follow the Drive cycle to the T it will go into full readiness status...yes the drive cycle is a TOTAL PITA...and its certainly not real world driving...but its what the engineers have programed into the system, and its what we have to go by. Good luck
2008 Aggressive GXP (VIN 8Y113718)   Premium package, 6 CD Head w/Monsoon Sound, Onstar/XMRadio,  ASAP: Center Brake Light Cover (Turbo),  Beach Party Central: Engine Bay Fusebox Cover,  DDMWorks: Race Backbone, ProBeam, T-bolt Clamps,  Dejon P/H: High Polished Lazer Cut Engine Cover,  GM Parts Direct: GMPP Tune, Standard Splash Guards (Front/Rear),  MBRP: High Polished T-304 IC Charge Pipes, High Polished Lazer Cut Turbo Cover,  WindRestrictor: Version 2 Custom Graphics, Lazer Etched, Red LED Lighting

Offline Imaj

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
I had a similar issue last week getting my emissions sticker. I was told by the dealership to drive it for 150 miles, then come back.

Offline rich71

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:29:42 AM »
thx for all the input. i am gonna check my dashhawk to see if i can find the rediness status through it....i never looked for them before. no arm twisting to have to drive 150 miles....just hope the light doesn't come back on.... thnx again.
Manual Trans
Westers Race Tune
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:07:48 AM »
Short answer no the dashhawk doesn't
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
Almost as funny as people flying in private Jets to a seminar on the environment and global warming.

Good one elff! :thumbs:

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 11:06:08 AM »
quote author=Critterman link=topic=4305.msg55431#msg55431 date=1271254068]
Short answer no the dashhawk doesn't
[/quote]
Really?  I'm kind of surprised on that.  Welp, in the discussion of Rev vs Dashhawk, give 1 point to Rev for the iPhone.
It can do this

Offline COSky

• Tech
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 11:21:20 AM »
In hp tuners, just hook it up to the car and click the DTCs button (the little engine icon, in the scanner).  The readiness states will be shown in there.  My car takes about 5min of driving to get them all good to go.  I just pick a straight block in my neighborhood, drive to one end, turn the car off start it up and drive back to the beginning.  Rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times and I'm good to go with a pretty low likelihood of engine lights.  I do have the P0234 (TC Engine Overboost Condition) and P0033 (Turbo Charger Bypass Valve Control Circuit) DTCs disabled due to my turbo swap.  I am still able to pass inspection with them disabled.

Hope that helps a little, and good luck

Offline rich71

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
so it has been 150 miles or so and about 7 key cycles and the 02 and evap still are not ready. the only code i have gotten was the 2237. that was due to the wester ss tune being new. i am at a loss to if these things will every be ready. i am thinking of installing the stock tune and start from there. the thing for me is how many freaking miles, cold starts cool downs key cycles this will take. 6 days till my inspection expires.  :violin:
Manual Trans
Westers Race Tune
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »
It's actually a certain # of "drive cycles", where is a drive cycle is miles, going from cold up to temp, etc...

I took mine in last month to take care of a code so I could get an inspection. Service writer told me when I picked it up to drive it three days. I asked why three days and not just miles and was told it needed to go thru at least 3 cycles from cold to hot to make sure all the readiness codes reset.
Pops' car is Cool, Black Leather. Everything but Onstar and pretty much stock. VIN 12228.

Offline Buckinfitch

• Tech
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
:lol:

It's quite funny that you have to aimlessly drive around and create unnecessary carbon emissions in order to pass inspection for proper emissions.

sure glad we don't have to go through the PITA emissions test inspections here anymore,
(screw you Al Gore  :poke:)

it's sort of like going to a restaurant and sitting in the non-smoking section
just across from the smoking section.  :huh:  

no front plate required either  :yay:

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 10:36:32 AM »
You should be able to get an extension, if it is not ready

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »
Welp
Just had mine in.  I had cleared a pending code after you made your first post and all of mine were in a ready state.
I only have a 3 mile commute to work, so I didn't put a lot of miles on the car, but I did do a bunch of starting and stopping.

Offline duramax

• Tech
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »
I am so glad I don't have to test where I live. Why should I my car can never pollute as much as Algores jet. Hes such A turd.
2008 NA Sky Midnight Blue Black Top Black Leather Chrome Wheels Monsoon single disc Vector ECM WR Electric Blue V1 Sequential Turn Signals Pulsing Third Brake Light RL Exhaust Smoke Side Markers That Flash With Turn Signals. GMPP CAI and Splash Guards GM All Weather Mats Butt Plugs 35% Tint GMPP Saddle Bag JPM Center Console Bun Warmers

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »
I am so glad I don't have to test where I live. Why should I my car can never pollute as much as Algores jet. Hes such A turd.

You're not very far from having to test...
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »
All on-board diagnostics have two states, diagnosed and not diagnosed.  I/M not ready means not diagnosed.  Diagnosed has only two states, passed or failed.  Your I/M test lane is looking for two states, diagnosed and passed.

The drive cycle at http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html is a little dated and doesn't have a few tips.  First, drive it in grandma mode.  For the EVAP monitor be certain there are no agressive stops or starts or turns.  A shaken fuel tank cannot be tested.  Also, empty and full tanks cannot be diagnosed,  use 25%-75% to be sure you are in the window.  Cold start driveaways in the morning are good for the on-board monitors, too cold or too hot are bad.  Weather in the U.S. now is close enough except for maybe Alaska.

As a final step after the given drive cycle bring your kappa to an idle for a long red light.  Touch nothing, just idle at the "long red light", say 3 mins or more.  A steady idle gives the ecm a chance to check O2 and catalyst performance.   Enjoy the trip.

Clear Skys.

Scanner.
Scanner