Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: still having issues, what is best way to log?  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
still having issues, what is best way to log?
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:07:49 AM »
Ok, so the easy answer is to spend a bunch of money and buy HP Tuners or similar.  That isn't going to happen right now, so I am looking for other ways to get some logging done.  Here is what is going on - it is similar to what was happening before:

Steady speed on the freeway, say 70 mph, punch it and nothing.  1-2 pounds of boost and 0 acceleration (really minimal)  If I then lift off and punch it again, most of the time, 9 out of 10 times, it will go just fine.  The other time, it will just be dead again.  My guess is some nanny control is pulling timing or some other method of protecting itself?  But I am not sure.  Any ideas and or any ideas how to get some logs done to send to Lyndon?

Also, I don't know if it's related, but I will occasionally get a P0101 code, or even two (one code, one pending)  the are easy to clear (cheapy code key device).  I cleaned the MAF sensor today and have not had it out for a ride to check to see if that solved the P0101 code, but that was fairly intermitent anyway.

FYI- 07 GXP
Automatic
18K miles
Wester's Tune ECM and TCM
upgraded clamps

GJ
gracias in advance
Make the right choices now

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: still having issues, what is best way to log?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 04:34:57 AM »
Nobody in your area to log it with HPT?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »
The MAF will cause the problem so tell us what it is doing since you cleaned it.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:43:08 AM »
Your best bet is to buy another car.

Failing that, find try to hook up with someone in your area that DOES have a logger.  HPT, DashDAQ or Dashhawk would all probably do the trick.  After you find one to borrow, youi might want to ask Lyndon if its logs would be any use to him.

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:07:32 AM »
Do you also have the GMPP tune?  If so, I think Elf found the solution.  If not, well wellcome to the clueless club for random codes and random limp mode.
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:09:34 AM »
Chuck,  how is your latest round of tunes?

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:13:13 AM »
I do not think it is a tune problem but about 50 percent of the time I am in limp mode.  Elf had the same problem and may have solved it as it has been over a month with no limp mode for him.  The codes I used to throw with the last tune are gone,  I have not had any CELs.  Since DW has the exact tune and setup with no problems I am sure it is what Elf discovered. 

I will send you a pm and I think I would like to try what he did.  Not trying to be cryptic but I just felt it is up to him to post about it sense he sent it to be in PMs.

Chuck

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »
Sounds kinda like what my car was doing after I replaced fuse #41. P0101 codes, completely random amounts of boost...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 08:16:56 AM »
I had the same problem with my car GJ. Lyndon just made my tune less aggressive. Then slowly built it up. Unfortunately without HPT this is not really possible. I'm not sure what you can do.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »
Mine goes into limp mode totally at random and never when rapidly accelerating.  Usually it is just when driving along at 2000 RPMs.  Then it pops back into good to go mode.  When I retire, I will get a big check and plan on using it for replacing this quirky Ecotec with a reliable V8. 

I wonder if other cars with this engine/ECM/sensor combination have all these undiagnosable problems.  Before someone blames the tune, I had all this random stuff when I was pure stock.

In my 50 years of driving and owning cars, I have only had one other car with this many glitches and that was my TR4.  With that though, it was easy to diagnose.  With this, the people that know the least are the dealers.  However, I still love this car, when it works, nothing drives better or looks better. 

Chuck

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »
Mist of the cars are pretty reliable. Maybe try a new ECM they can be had for cheap nowadays. Like 200ish
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 08:45:18 AM »
If I knew that was the problem, I would spend that and much more.  Dealer said he could just start replacing things, but that does not make me happy.  Please do not read that I am unhappy, I love this car.  But facts are it is not reliable at all.  It is just a fun toy.  I know you can blast me for referring to Consumers but check out their rating from solstice owners experience.  You do not have to look, it is lots of black dots. 

Would I buy this car again.  Yes, no hesitation.  Just too little training of dealer techs and way too complex to meet pollution standards. 

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »
Oh yeah, I left out that I know lots of solstice owners, I mean lots and very few, including Joe and Joe Jr. have not had problems with codes and sensors.  Everything from ECM's, MAP, MAF, O2 to clogged catalytic converters.  It is not an accident that GM is in the dumpster. 

A long time ago, I bet someone that Ford was so much better than GM as a company.  Instead of arguing back and forth, I told him to buy GM stock and I will buy ford stock.  I did it and bought quite a few shares at around high 4 bucks.  It is more than a double right now.  GM stock, well, lets say worth nothing.  In a family trust fund, we lost over 300,000 bucks on GM stock. 

But again, Kenny, I love this car, without any doubts it is the coolest car ever made under 100,000 bucks.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »
Kelu- no one that I know of.  The search is on.

DBG- Will get in some miles today to find out.  I'm hoping thats it!

2kwk4u- I am shopping now, just in case :)

U-238- problems started AFTER replacing fuse 41?  That was the issue RandyDDM diagnosed for you?  Wastegate right?  Keep me posted if you find anything, I'll do the same.

Chuckdoc- car was flawless prior to tune.  Not saying my tune is bad, I love it, but this all started when I got the tune.  I don't mind a few bugs, after all, I changed the brain.  Got to expect some growing pains.  Just hope they are correctable.

Kenny- hoping not to have to buy 3rd ECM.  But, if it comes down to it...  more likely the program on the ECM I'm thinking.  May have to do as you suggest, have LW back off just a touch.

Chuckdoc- could you please gift me all of your worthless GM shares?  I will gladly pay for shipping.  :)

Thanks everyone for your help.  I will continue to test and track progress as it seems I am not alone with this. 

For now, mine is very consistent- only happens when rolling along at steady speed and then trying to accelerate.  I think I can almost feel when it happens.  It feels like the car shifts or bogs ever so slightly.  I don't think it's in my head, but I'm not sure.  (that's not a GJ is drinking too much joke, I really am not sure if I'm making it up)

Anybody have HPT for 07 GXP that might be willing to ship to SD?  Also, not real familiar with how the credits work?  I think DBG expained to me that each download / upload of tune is a few credits?  What would costs be to "borrow" if one were available?  Sorry, just don't have much experience with HPT.  I assume logging is easy and sending those files to Lyndon is also easy, just haven't done it.  Also, to clear it ahead of time, if you have HPT and are not comfortable sending it to SD, please don't worry about it.  I have too short of a memory to hold a grudge :), but some know how will be helpful when I do get my hands on one.

Ok, going to put on some clothes and head out for some driving tests.

Sorry for the visual.

GJ

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 01:02:44 PM »
GJ, i was recommending a new ECU to chuckdoc. sorry. i think you need to get your tune "tuned down" like Lyndon had to do with me, then drive it for a bit, and he'll slowly turn it up.

i'd search for a used HPTuners if I were you. best way to get the tune dialed in right from Lyndon. He's been tweaking mine for weeks. It took a while, but is doing good now.

Offline Imaj

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »
I hate to say this...(Because it sounds so simple.) But, have you checked around your intercooler to see if something (Plastic bag) is caught up around your intercooler? While you are in that neck of the woods...make sure your clamps are tight.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »
You don't need credits to log or read the ECU. It needs credits just to modify and write your changes. I will happy share my HPT but shipping will not worth.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
Thanks Bud!  Someday, when you make it to San Diego, we can go over it all together.

OK, so here is the update:
Headed out and picked up some 2A fuses, then hit the open road.  The temporary limp mode hit about 2 minutes in to the freeway ride,  but only once.  I hit some back roads to test out the new TCM tune and the competitive mode (Intermediate) features that Lyndon worked up.  That worked GREAT!  Car stays in gear forever!  It no longer downshifts, so I can stay in 3rd gear down a smooth straight and then not have to brake for upcoming turns.  Acts a little more like driving a manual, allowing you to stay in gear.  The new shift points help too.  I can stay in gear up to 6500 RPM, before it was more like 6-6250.  That doesn't seem like much, but it works great for many corners.  I prefer to let the engine brake the car and use less brake pedal.  I'm not racing, just driving spirited roads is all, so I can set my speed at my comfort level and according to speed limits / road conditions.
Then, on the way home, back on some freeways, all was good and I thought I had solved it.  Then someone cut me off and slammed on the brakes, I cut over to the next lane, laid in to it hard then had to brake hard, poof. Temporary limp mode again.  So, maybe it has something to do with letting off the throtle?  Could that have anything to do with it? 

No MAF codes today, so perhaps cleaning the sensor solved that problem, but it was intermitent anyway, so its a wait and see.

GJ
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:42:28 PM by Gentleman Jack »

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
When it is in limp mode switch off the traction control. Or drive with it off when trying to duplicate. This is beginning to sound like a reduced torque request from the traction control system.  Being that is a normal vehicle function it will not set a DTC.  If it is triggered by a wheel speed sensor you'll want to monitor them with a scan tool in KM/H because of the greater resolution. You'll also want to snapshot the data for analysis. Scanner
Scanner

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 08:07:39 PM »
Buy HPTuners, then use it.

But just wonder if maybe your shift interlock may be an issue, can you get the key out?   :poke:
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »
When it is in limp mode switch off the traction control. Or drive with it off when trying to duplicate. This is beginning to sound like a reduced torque request from the traction control system.  Being that is a normal vehicle function it will not set a DTC.  If it is triggered by a wheel speed sensor you'll want to monitor them with a scan tool in KM/H because of the greater resolution. You'll also want to snapshot the data for analysis. Scanner

Scanner,
almost always drive in competitve mode, so I don't think that is it.

Buy HPTuners, then use it.

But just wonder if maybe your shift interlock may be an issue, can you get the key out?   :poke:

Critterman,
Can't afford HPT, had to pay to much for the ride from the airport to Joes house.

The shift interlock is not the issue.  That problem is solved and the other issue was happening prior to that problem.

GJ

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »
Critterman,
Can't afford HPT, had to pay to much for the ride from the airport to Joes house.
GJ
WTF GJ
You ask another member to PM you with a price on a Eclipse AVN4430??????????????????? :idk:
Don't worry about the Eclipse AVN4430 and get HP tuners.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:28:11 PM by tazz »

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 09:27:32 PM »
GJ, I think Scanner was saying turn it all the way off, you have to hold the button down on the first press for several seconds & this disables it completely, just watch out for the mailboxes.  :D

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
Else, tell wife you are going out for a while.... Full report available later.
Scanner

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
WTF GJ
You ask another member to PM you with a price on a Eclipse AVN4430??????????????????? :idk:
Don't worry about the Eclipse AVN4430 and get HP tuners.

Tazz,
Not that I need to explain, but I am trying to accomplish a few items on a short budget.  I was hoping it was going to be a great deal. You will also see I am trying to clean up someones garage by helping relieve them of their monsoon system. I have to take the car apart to install the heated seats and was hoping to only take it apart once, hence the search for a replacement for the crapy base stereo now and no funding for the HPT.  I realize that you may make the other choice and get the HPT, but I have to chose the other way.  Plus, my hope is that the need for the HPT is temporary.  Once this small issue is fixed, I should be good for a while, I hope.  The car is not just mine, and the decisions on how to spend the money is not just mine.  

GJ
economist