Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Adding Amp... where did YOU attach main power wire/fuse?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Adding Amp... where did YOU attach main power wire/fuse?
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
In the final stages of swapping out speakers and adding amp and sub.  I've already run the amp power wire through the firewall into the engine bay, but I want to get suggestions on where (those of you who've done this) ran the power connection -- to the main post on the fuse block or directly to the battery pos. terminal?  Plus, where and how did you mount your fuse carrier? 

I was going to run my wire to the fuse box, but there's no good place to mount the fuse carrier (was also just going to use Velcro to install it).

Thanks for any help and suggestions (well, clean ones anyway). Pictures would be good too :)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Morfious

• SMMM 7 Cup Stacking Champion
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Tryin' to keep the rubber side down since age 2
Re: Adding Amp... where did YOU attach main power wire/fuse?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »
amp wire has to be run directly to the battery terminal with an inline fuse in place.  I ran the cable along the drivers side and into the engine compartment.  It then runs along the underside of the windshield in the engine compartment with the main wiring harness.  I have mine terminated with an inline fuse and hooked directly to the battery. 

Terminated to battery:

Cable running through firewall and along front of engine:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:12:25 PM by Morfious »
Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K
Mods:
Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav System
Solo-Performance Street Race exhaust
Debadged
JPM interior (Doors, steering wheel, shifter, console now with 100% more Chuck Norris)
Custom dash and Flush mounted Valentine 1 Radar Detector
O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels with Dunlop DZ101
DDM Works (Big Brake Kit, backbone, intercooler, valve and coil cover)
GXP ZOK Rear sway bar

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:39:35 PM »
Mine is on my battery as well
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »
Always make sure there is an appropriate fuse, close to the power source, and tight connections!  Over current will open the fuse so I'm happy to see that is mentioned. Tight connections are equally important, loose/poor/or undersized connections make heat! Too much heat leads to big trouble.
Scanner

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:46:50 PM »
X3 or X4 [Lost count sorry]
Direct to battery with inline fuse.

Offline Doctor

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 02:25:31 AM »
Eyeing that optima yellow top. Nice! What is the exact model that would work with our Sky's?

Offline Tom0000

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
I tried the dangeling thing with the fuse block, but I ended up moving it to the passenger floorboard fuse block.

There is another hole in the same place on the passenger side as morphious ran his power wire through.  It is just covered with some dynamat style asphalt.

The biggest you can fit in it without drilling it out is an 8 guage wire with a small gromet.

And for Morphious, do you get any alternator whine or noise in your audio signal. Just curious with the long ground you used going to the battery if it caused any issues?  I've always heard bad stuff about long grounds, but have never actually tried one to see if there was any validity to it or if it was just hear say.

Offline Morfious

• SMMM 7 Cup Stacking Champion
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Tryin' to keep the rubber side down since age 2
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 06:32:18 PM »
Eyeing that optima yellow top. Nice! What is the exact model that would work with our Sky's?

It's the D34/78  Fits just fine.  Red top would probably be just fine , but I wanted to get the yellow top to match the car color.  Plus you can run the yellow tops down a bit more than the red tops.

And for MorFious, do you get any alternator whine or noise in your audio signal. Just curious with the long ground you used going to the battery if it caused any issues?  I've always heard bad stuff about long grounds, but have never actually tried one to see if there was any validity to it or if it was just hear say.

No alternator wine at all.  I have a 4 gauge power wire going from the battery to the amp.  Ground is run from the amp to the center console area, about 4-6 feet away.  I have no ground wires going back to the battery.  The other smaller fuse you see on my battery is for my trickle charger (battery tender plus)  I leave it attached to the car at all times and just hook it up when I'm leaving it for a long while.
Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K
Mods:
Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav System
Solo-Performance Street Race exhaust
Debadged
JPM interior (Doors, steering wheel, shifter, console now with 100% more Chuck Norris)
Custom dash and Flush mounted Valentine 1 Radar Detector
O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels with Dunlop DZ101
DDM Works (Big Brake Kit, backbone, intercooler, valve and coil cover)
GXP ZOK Rear sway bar

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:22:54 PM »
Radio/Amp Noise? I have not heard anthing about that here.  If you have it discuss it, there are strategies to hunt it down.  No scan tool required.
Scanner

Offline Tom0000

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
No, scanner I don't have alternator whine either.  I wasn't paying attention when I looked at the battery pic from morphious.  I saw the wires for his battery tender with the fuse holder, and for some odd reason assumed it was the amp wire even though it is obviously not as large as the one in the pic right there in the same post.  I keep a trickle charger on my 68 camaro too.  I don't really get to drive it much, it doesn't have AC.  So I only really drive it much in the early spring and fall.

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
The hunt for amp and radio noise involves dermining how it reached the system. Frontway noise comes in through the antenna system which includes the mast, cable and ground plane.  It usually gets louder as the volume is turned up. Backway enters the system through power lines, (B+ and ground) or low level signal lines. The source of interference is usually worked on after working through all the installation checks looking for problems.  More later on strategies...
Scanner