Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How to do a boost leak test on a GXP/RL  (Read 5710 times)

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
How to do a boost leak test on a GXP/RL
« on: July 28, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
I performed a boost leak test on my Sky recently. Figured I would share the procedure. It's pretty easy and the parts cost less than 5 dollars for the DIY version. You can buy a test cap which shabby recommended for about $25 from here http://www.boostpro.net/prodtester.html and skip half of this.

I just did a test of the charge system right after the turbo. It's easier because you don't have to plug the lines from the turbo. Most likely you don't have a leak from your turbo. If anyone has done that method, please append this guide.

Stuff you need:

1) Tire Valve: There seem to be two common sizes, one that requires a .453" hole and one that requires a .625" hole. I bought the smaller one.
2) Drill bit for the valve. This was tough. I didn't wanna go too big, but I think most guys just use a 1/2" drillbit and it works fine. Technically .453" is about 11.5mm and a little bigger than 7/16"  I used a 7/16" bit and had to make the hole bigger. A 1/2" hole is probably fine.
3) 2" PVC threaded plug or something else stiff that will plug a 2" hose
4) Tape: air would leak out of the threads of the PVC plug so I put teflon tape, but I'm sure duct tape would work.
5) 11mm deep socket to loosen the Tbolts
6) Compressor or tank of air
7) Spray bottle of soapy water

Process is pretty easy.

Drill the hole in the cap wherever you want, pop the valve stem into the cap. Make sure it's nice and tight. If you are really slick, you can tap a pressure gauge into the cap as well.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Loosen off the T-bolts from the hose coming off the turbo with your 11mm deep socket. Socket adaptor for electric drill optional, but makes it fast! Never use the drill to finish off tightening these. You don't wanna overdo it.

Take the turbo side of the rubber hose off the pipe and twist the hose so the pipe isn't in the way.

Put tape around the PVC cap threads to keep air from leaking through the threads. It happened to me the first time.

Stick the cap into the hose, push it in about 1/4" then tighten the T Bolt clamp onto it. Tighten the other Tbolt clamp onto the charge pipe.

This is what it should look like in the end:

So by being a cheapskate, you have no way to read the amount of boost you're going to put into the system. You have a few options. Fill up the air then use a tire pressure gauge to check. Have a friend sit in the car with the key on but engine off and watch the boost gauge.

I decided to go with another option, and hookup my HP Tuners with laptop and start logging and view the boost rising on the computer screen.

Once everything is set, start pushing some air into the system. Then listen for leaks. Spray joints that are likely to leak with the soapy water and watch for bubbles. The boost pressure will drop off since the air will leak through the throttle body and whatever valves are open when the engine last stopped.

I pushed my car up just under 30psi with no leaks. I have T Bolts on the intake elbow but nothing else, and it held fine. You probably don't have to push that hard to find leaks. Most people do around 20psi.

That's it!

References:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Kqh52PC6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjadhUP1u4
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:22:22 PM by Kenny »
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
Re: How to do a boost leak test on a GXP/RL
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:01:26 PM »
i've suspected a leak somewhere in my system for awhile now, so this guide is timely.  thanks!
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42
'09 GXP 5MT Sly Coupe #802 - RIP :(
'82 Reynard FF1600 || CM/70
'86 Golf || chumpcar monster

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:00:20 AM »
Kenny,

Great write up!  I will give this a run.

GJ

PS- why did I think your car was silver?
Make the right choices now

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:57:57 AM »
thx for the DIY Kenny!!!  :thumbs:
let s hope that none of us ever has to consult it
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:02:31 AM »
Great job, Kenny!

There are some reports about IC leaks, this is a test perfect for the IC.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »
Kenny,

Great write up!  I will give this a run.

GJ

PS- why did I think your car was silver?

Cuz you don't pay attention to my threads, or because my car was so dirty at MMM7 you couldn't see the black through the dirt? Silver rollbar? Silver seats? Dunno
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 01:26:04 PM »
Cuz you don't pay attention to my threads, or because my car was so dirty at MMM7 you couldn't see the black through the dirt? Silver rollbar? Silver seats? Dunno

You were at MMM7?  Just kidding.  I have no idea why I thought that.  Anyway, to get back on track, this is my next test.  I have a new MAF sensor in testing that to see if that might be the issue (THANKS TAZZ< ALMOST DONE!) and it's helping, but not eliminating the problem.  So the leak test is next.  I am hoping this weekend.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »
Excellent instructions, Kenny! :thumbs:

Offline duramax

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:58:04 PM »
I use a similar system I made for my truck. Mine is a 4" PVC reducer with a air tool fitting installed. I set my air regulator to 45 PSI and hook it up. Diesels have more boost so thats why 45 PSI. I also noticed the engine won't hold the air back as well when its cold. I also glued and clamped A rubber hoes to the PVC fitting so I can hook it to the turbo where the air cleaner hose hooks up. I let the air pressure down slow when done as the turbo will spin backwards otherwise.
2008 NA Sky Midnight Blue Black Top Black Leather Chrome Wheels Monsoon single disc Vector ECM WR Electric Blue V1 Sequential Turn Signals Pulsing Third Brake Light RL Exhaust Smoke Side Markers That Flash With Turn Signals. GMPP CAI and Splash Guards GM All Weather Mats Butt Plugs 35% Tint GMPP Saddle Bag JPM Center Console Bun Warmers