Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace  (Read 45993 times)

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
Re: DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »
I'm too cheap to have them install it just to stop from making a mess on my driveway :)
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Shocks and springs will be a lot easier without the brace.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
I'm too cheap to have them install it just to stop from making a mess on my driveway :)

just make sure to have the car up on jack stands and put something underneath to catch the fluid and you should be good. That is how we do it and nothing gets on the ground :)

Hope that helps,
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »
just make sure to have the car up on jack stands and put something underneath to catch the fluid and you should be good. That is how we do it and nothing gets on the ground :)
Yeah, that's how I did it.  Nothing got on the ground, but I did get it over the chassis.  Sigh.

Anyway, given DBG's dig, I took a couple of photos of my PS reservoir tube routing (there's plenty of photos of the brace install already!).  This is definitely not the only way to route these, maybe not even the best way, but it's what I did, if it helps...

First, showing the new mounting bracket in place sandwiched between the fusebox bracket and the body bracket, using the original bolt and clip nut that was there.  I routed the tubes between the two arms of the fender bracket and then nice and snug between the inner arm and the wheelwell liner (arrow):

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Next is taken from the inner (engine) side of the fusebox, showing the tubes, arrowed, coming out from the wheelwell area as noted above:

Lastly one taken from above showing the two tubes (smaller below and obscured by the larger) zip-tied back to the old reservoir bracket, away from the turbo (A).  Then the smaller tube is zip-tied to the shock tower (B) but protected from wear by a small cutoff of the smaller tube that's been slit down its length and pushed over the metal lip:

Tip: route the tubes first and make sure all is good, before attaching either end(s)  (Don't ask)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2010, 05:19:01 PM »
Yeah, that's how I did it.  Nothing got on the ground, but I did get it over the chassis.  Sigh.

Anyway, given DBG's dig, I took a couple of photos of my PS reservoir tube routing (there's plenty of photos of the brace install already!).  This is definitely not the only way to route these, maybe not even the best way, but it's what I did, if it helps...

First, showing the new mounting bracket in place sandwiched between the fusebox bracket and the body bracket, using the original bolt and clip nut that was there.  I routed the tubes between the two arms of the fender bracket and then nice and snug between the inner arm and the wheelwell liner (arrow):

(Attachment Link)

Next is taken from the inner (engine) side of the fusebox, showing the tubes, arrowed, coming out from the wheelwell area as noted above:

(Attachment Link)

Lastly one taken from above showing the two tubes (smaller below and obscured by the larger) zip-tied back to the old reservoir bracket, away from the turbo (A).  Then the smaller tube is zip-tied to the shock tower (B) but protected from wear by a small cutoff of the smaller tube that's been slit down its length and pushed over the metal lip:

(Attachment Link)

Tip: route the tubes first and make sure all is good, before attaching either end(s)  (Don't ask)

Good little write up.

As an extra little help, when installing the kit, I always route the hoses back to where they are going to go, then install them onto the reservoir. At that point you can see how much you need to trim. I then mark the hose, remove the reservoir and trim the hose and re-install. Takes a couple extra minutes to do, but allows a really good fit on the hose length to make sure there is no kinking.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »
As an extra little help, when installing the kit, I always route the hoses back to where they are going to go, then install them onto the reservoir. At that point you can see how much you need to trim. I then mark the hose, remove the reservoir and trim the hose and re-install. Takes a couple extra minutes to do, but allows a really good fit on the hose length to make sure there is no kinking.
You bring up a good point there... The instructions don't say anything about trimming the hoses to length. 

I found that (at least the way I routed it) the bigger hose was just about perfect length and so I assumed you'd already cut them to correct length.  The smaller hose however was too long and I was a little worried I'd done something wrong :)  I ended up cutting 4-5 inches off - and could probably have taken a little more - but with the zip-ties, is wasn't banging around so I left it at that.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
You bring up a good point there... The instructions don't say anything about trimming the hoses to length. 

I found that (at least the way I routed it) the bigger hose was just about perfect length and so I assumed you'd already cut them to correct length.  The smaller hose however was too long and I was a little worried I'd done something wrong :)  I ended up cutting 4-5 inches off - and could probably have taken a little more - but with the zip-ties, is wasn't banging around so I left it at that.

I will put it in the instructions that it is ok to cut the hose, always good to get feedback like that :)

Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2010, 08:22:48 PM »
measure twice - cut once
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2010, 08:45:45 PM »
Thanks TS

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2010, 10:25:47 PM »
I'm installing my new shocks and springs soon, should I put this off until then?

Kenny you should still be Honey-Mooning Not working on the Damn Car      :banghead:      :gaah:   
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »
We were there for a week. Back to work today.
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2010, 01:24:54 PM »
One thing that was obvious though was the reduction in cowl shake.  

One thing that's been a bit annoying with my Stage 2 was the RPMs would drop low sometimes as if the car would stall. The car would shudder in response, but the RPMs would normally return to normal. The cross bay brace had reduced the shudder SIGNIFICANTLY. I still don't know why the RPMs behave this way. Hopefully, it will get better with my move to stage 3.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2010, 10:08:01 PM »
I'm sure it's not supposed to do that, I would contact DDM about it.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »
I'm sure it's not supposed to do that, I would contact DDM about it.

They have looked at it on a few occasions. Nothing has ever been found. They tweeked the tune and it was better for a little while, but returned to the same condition a few months later.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Night Hawk

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »
Another way of avoiding spilling PS fluid either on the chassis or the ground is to siphon the PS fluid out of the reservoir first and then disconnect the hoses. A lot less fluid drains out and can be easily absorbed by a rag just underneath the hose connections. I moved the PS resrevior over the battery this past weekend to get ready to install the brace. No mess, no spill.  Planning to install the brace later this week. Thanks for posting your suggestions on the brace install.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
Contact me earlier next week. We'll "get-r-done".

So yours is already red, perfect for spilling blood!

Thanks Bob for taking the time to install the Red Cross Bay Brace from DDMWorks today as well as the Solstice / Sky Power Steering Relocation Kit a few hours ago!  Great job and it was fun again getting together and discussing thngs Kappa.  

Sorry, that you had to spill a drop of Red Blood on you thumb.  Anyway, it was great fun for Carol and I to get to see you again and visit.  Extreme Kudo's my friend!!!!!!  Very Sweet Indeed does the Red DDMWorks Cross Bay Brace look under the hood, and we could feel the difference as we traveled back to Olathe, Kansas.  :yay: :thumbs: :drive: :urock: :2c:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:36:00 PM by GXPinKC »
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Sorry, that you had to spill a drop of Red Blood on you thumb.
:ttiwwp:

Sorry Bob, just had to give you a hard time. :cheers:
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2010, 11:31:05 PM »
:ttiwwp:

Sorry Bob, just had to give you a hard time. :cheers:

Actually, skinned my knuckle above the fourth finger a tiny bit. If Ron had not told me, I probably would have missed it entirely. Only one tiny hiccup with the install of reservoir as the instructions called out a threaded insert of a 6mm bolt, but a flanged nut from my junk drawer took care of that. All went smoothly, and only needed 1.5 pints to top off the system. Fun install.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2010, 11:49:12 PM »
Just sucks that we can't do it and stay B-SP legal. :mad:
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2010, 11:55:48 PM »
Actually, skinned my knuckle above the fourth finger a tiny bit. If Ron had not told me, I probably would have missed it entirely. Only one tiny hiccup with the install of reservoir as the instructions called out a threaded insert of a 6mm bolt, but a flanged nut from my junk drawer took care of that. All went smoothly, and only needed 1.5 pints to top off the system. Fun install.
Was that 1.5 pints of blood or power steering fluid?  :lol:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2010, 07:36:51 AM »
I was thinking 1.5 pints of beer?    ;)
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2010, 08:36:37 AM »
Just sucks that we can't do it and stay B-SP legal. :mad:

Do what?
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2010, 08:39:11 AM »
Do what?
Use the power steering relocation kit.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »
Use the power steering relocation kit.

Thought so. FWIW, I have a brace installed and left the reservoir in the stock location. It IS a bit of a pain to do, but it CAN be done. The down sides are no access to the cap unless the cross piece is removed, and adjusting the right front shock is a headache. Given the "issues", the brace is STILL worth the limitations. If the P.S. is not leaking, I don't need to check the fluid very often, and I fashioned a tool for the adjuster. Since I have found the shock settings I want, the only time I need to play with the shocks is for concrete or asphalt.

So, there ya go. It CAN be done.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech